UA widebodies on domestic routes

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Widebody and narrowbody usage for the next month can be found on www.unitedcargo.com
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 6, 15, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
UA widebodies on domestic routes

Here I ..... and moan about UA and their CR2's from PHX to LAX. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I booked ORD-IAH-PHX trip only to see a 763 on the ORD leg with lie flats no less!

The last time I can remember flying a widebody domestically was back in November of 2002 when I flew a 744 from ORD to DEN.

I'm not complaining and if I get upgraded I really won't complain.
Old Aug 6, 15, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
There's a decent number of them between hubs. IAH-IAD/vv has a 772 or 763 regularly for flights 249/373, IAD-SFO has an evening 777, IAH-EWR has some 767, IAH-DEN/SFO some 787, etc.
Old Aug 6, 15, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
There's a decent number of them between hubs. IAH-IAD/vv has a 772 or 763 regularly for flights 249/373, IAD-SFO has an evening 777, IAH-EWR has some 767, IAH-DEN/SFO some 787, etc.
Is that a new occurrence or has that been going on a long time?
Old Aug 6, 15, 10:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Sometimes it's aircraft positioning. When IAD-IAH was a 777, it was to then continue to GRU. When IAH-GRU 777 went away, so did IAD-IAH 777
Old Aug 6, 15, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold
I had a three-class 777 SFO-ORD over the summer. I also saw a Hawaii-config 777 ORD-SFO while doing some searching for some fall travel.

It's like finding treasure!
Old Aug 6, 15, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
PMCO had them pretty regularly IAH-EWR/vv, PMUA had some like SFO-ORD or LAX-IAD, but now that they're crossfleeting more and with the 788 basing/flying mismatching it seems like there's more than there have been in the last couple years.
Old Aug 6, 15, 12:34 pm

Programs: 8 Year UA Gold/1P now nothing, Happy DL Gold
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
PMCO had them pretty regularly IAH-EWR/vv, PMUA had some like SFO-ORD or LAX-IAD, but now that they're crossfleeting more and with the 788 basing/flying mismatching it seems like there's more than there have been in the last couple years.
UA announced a few months ago they would be upgauging. This meant bigger regionals and regional to mainline, but also some mainline upgauging. For example when VX entered the ORD-SFO/LAX market UA flooded with hourly flights. It's just not necessary to fly 14 narrow bodies when 2 or 3 of them can be rolled into 1 widebody. ORDSFO has already seen daily 777 and double daily some days for several months now. ORDIAH has generally had 767 and so has ORDEWR. I don't think we'll see a return to the 2000's when I flew 747 IAD-ORD and 777 SEA-DEN but they will be adding more in the coming months.
Old Aug 6, 15, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by intractable View Post
I had a three-class 777 SFO-ORD over the summer.
There was one ORD-LAX-ORD too
Old Aug 6, 15, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I remember when years ago (probably late 90's) UA used to fly a 767 BWI-ORD.
Old Aug 6, 15, 1:59 pm

I did not specifically look for wide bodies to book, but encountered wide bodies often when my flights were hub to hub in the early morning. For example, SFO-IAD with a 777, SFO-IAH with a 767, and IAH to SFO with a 787.
Old Aug 6, 15, 2:08 pm

IME this seems to be more common in the busier summer months. For example I think the IAD-SFO 777 morning/evening flight goes back to a mix of 739/757 in the Fall.
Old Aug 6, 15, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
lots of 789 flights DEN-LAX and v/v the next couple months. Can even get N fares. I bought a den-lax-den r/t for $107, both flights on the 789.
Old Aug 6, 15, 4:39 pm

I've got one booked in 2 weeks of ORD-LAX on a 777, I decided to book it since why not
Old Aug 6, 15, 8:03 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
DEN -> IAH and vice versa is a once a day 787-8 and has been for a while now. It's part of a regular loop (IAH -> DEN -> NRT -> DEN -> IAH).

I'm glad to hear about what sounds like a daily (or near daily) 787-9 between DEN and LAX. l'm personally hoping that United brings daily (at least one flight per day if not more) wide-body service back for hub to hub flights. DEN to/from IAD could really use with how full those flights are and the number of elites and business travelers that frequent that route. I remember years ago when DEN/IAD was regularly a 777.
Old Aug 6, 15, 8:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO View Post
DEN -> IAH and vice versa is a once a day 787-8 and has been for a while now. It's part of a regular loop (IAH -> DEN -> NRT -> DEN -> IAH).

I'm glad to hear about what sounds like a daily (or near daily) 787-9 between DEN and LAX. l'm personally hoping that United brings daily (at least one flight per day if not more) wide-body service back for hub to hub flights. DEN to/from IAD could really use with how full those flights are and the number of elites and business travelers that frequent that route. I remember years ago when DEN/IAD was regularly a 777.
I've flown the 787 from IAH-LAX, and am flying it next weekend IAH-DEN. Picked next weekends flight specifically for that.

Back when I was on a project in Chicago a couple years ago, the Thursday afternoon consultant flight from ORD-IAH was frequently a widebody.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: