Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that dont arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags arent found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we cant find your bag after five days, well reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If were unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we cant find your bag after five days, well reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Conventions international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the Warsaw Convention may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:24 am

Sorry to hear --

Did you purchase the ticket with a CC that has delay/lost baggage insurance? That is one possible route you can pursue if they keep finger pointing each other.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by edcho
Did you purchase the ticket with a CC that has delay/lost baggage insurance?
It was a mileage ticket through UA w/ taxes paid via the United Mileage Plus Explorer card.

Not sure if that will cover anything or not, but I won't hold my breath.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by edcho
Sorry to hear --

Did you purchase the ticket with a CC that has delay/lost baggage insurance? That is one possible route you can pursue if they keep finger pointing each other.
In other words buy your own insurance when dealing with thieves, criminals uninsured drivers and United

However Never ever ever let the deliver carrier tell you to call the other airline. It is the delivery carriers absolute obligation to deliver the bag.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by cocaine
Hi Guys,

Looking for advice here... (I post here since I don't follow the LH forums very much and was not sure who I need to work with)

Flew FRA-ORD on LH 6/29

Bag flew FRA-IEV for some reason...
How can your bag fly to IEV if LH doesn't fly there???
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Palal
How can your bag fly to IEV if LH doesn't fly there???
I was told the bag was in Kiev when I was at the baggage office in Chicago. Not sure if I have the incorrect airport code or what.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, Marriott Gold
Where is my bag?????

My flight from EWR to LHR at 2200 3 July was canceled. By the time they could get me there, it was not worth the trouble. I canceled the trip. Of course the baggage agent told me, that as a 1K, I am a VIP and the bags would be delivered no later than Friday night/Saturday morning. Now it is Sunday morning and they have yet to find them (if their "tracing" link is actually working).

Do I have any recourse? I am essentially stuck in NY waiting for my bags so that I can drive home to Virginia.

HELP!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ScDGal2001
My flight from EWR to LHR at 2200 3 July was canceled. By the time they could get me there, it was not worth the trouble. I canceled the trip. Of course the baggage agent told me, that as a 1K, I am a VIP and the bags would be delivered no later than Friday night/Saturday morning. Now it is Sunday morning and they have yet to find them (if their "tracing" link is actually working).

Do I have any recourse? I am essentially stuck in NY waiting for my bags so that I can drive home to Virginia.

HELP!
Why would you just wait days for the bags? Tell them where you're driving to, and have them deliver the bags.

Seems as a 1K you'd have a bit more experience with baggage delays and problems.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
You don't have to wait in the wrong city. If UA is really really late with your bags, they will deliver them just about anywhere -- a different state and perhaps even a different country. Just let them know that you are on the road a lot, you have moved on, and you need your bags delivered to [x] and they'll take care of it.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, Marriott Gold
As a 1k for many years, miraculously I have not had many bag issues and the ones I have had were resolved quickly. The hitch: a second bag which was checked belongs to my 88 year old NY based parent. Not sure if they can split them.

If I don't hear from them today, I guess I will follow your advice and give them a new delivery address. Mom will have to wait.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
As a 1k for many years, miraculously I have not had many bag issues and the ones I have had were resolved quickly. The hitch: a second bag which was checked belongs to my 88 year old NY based parent. Not sure if they can split them.

If I don't hear from them today, I guess I will follow your advice and give them a new delivery address. Mom will have to wait.
Why not have one bag delivered to you in Virginia and have the other bag delivered to your mom in NY?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Now it is Sunday morning and they have yet to find them (if their "tracing" link is actually working).
The bag tracking function on the website is practically useless. Call Reservations and ask them to transfer you to the Premier Baggage Resolution Service Center. They can give you much more up-to-date info on your bags.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:43 am

My bag and husband's bags were delayed on an EWR-LHR flight June 20. Bags were found and delivered to us in the UK 2 days later. I'm a bit confused about the claim form http://www.united.com/web/format/pdf...tyClaim_en.pdf

Since our belongings got to us in the end, we're only claiming for the interim clothing/toiletries we had to purchase. So what would we put on the last page, where we need to list the contents of our 2 suitcases? Would we itemize all the interim purchases we made, or just leave that page blank? It doesn't make sense to give a full list of every piece of clothing we had in the suitcase when they got to us in the end.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
United Baggage Claim - what is reimbursable?

My parents were on the routing DEL-AUH-LAX-LAS-DFW itinerary with DEL-AUH-LAX on Etihad and rest on American.

The DEL-AUH=LAX flight was delayed following which Etihad put my parents on United LAX-DFW non-stop.

However their luggage did not arrive on the United flight in DFW and it's been 2 days now.

I filed a claim with United baggage and they said to submit claim form to get necessary items reimbursed from United. They don't mention what kind of items neither does the form mention anything.

We had 4 bags missing, and I recollect the United phone agent saying $75 per bag, but then another agent on a follow-up call said $75 per person.

Also they said once we get the bags, we can ask for United travel vouchers.

Any experiences how much they would offer and if/what we should ask? Also is the travel voucher in addition to reimbursement of interim expenses or it's one or the other?

Also any experiences on what should we submit for reimbursement? Just toothbrush, toothpaste etc. or slippers, pajamas etc as well? What else if anything? I understand it's all subject to interpretation so checking as we don't want to get dinged later, as I'm hearing reports that United reimburses partially...

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Checking again to see if someone is willing to share experience, as to what is reimbursable under baggage claim?

And if I should ask for travel voucher on top of baggage claim reimbursement?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Things all depend on your particular circumstances. For "interim" expenses such as these, when you call in the, agent will usually authorize a set $-value. In my most recent experience it was $150 for what was going to be a 36-48 hour delay on an international flight.

You need to submit reimbursements for clothing and toiletries that you had to purchase in that time. If your expenses are reasonable, they might be willing to exceed $75. Certainly toothbrushes, socks, underwear, etc. are 100% reasonable. A new Versace dress probably isn't. I'm not sure where slippers would fall. All you can do is ask.

I doubt you're likely to get a travel voucher on top of things. This was interlined baggage and it looks like United did you a bit of a favour anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.