Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need help. Might miss connection on separate reservations IAH-LAX , LAX-SFO-SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Booked to fly IAH-LAX on one reservation, then LAX-SFO-SYD on a separate reservation tonight.

had 2.5 hours between the two flights at LAX but now the IAH-LAX flight is delayed. I’m still expecting to make it but it will be super tight and I might miss the flight.

called United and they wanted $1,200 to rebook me onto the non stop LAX-SYD which I would definitely make. That seems absolutely insane for a flight that is wide open.

cue the Flyertalk comments about taking the risk on a separate reservation. I understand that, but due to United’s insane pricing out of Houston it more than $1,200 cheaper to book it this way. I guess I was just expecting a little more help since:
1. I’m a a 1K
2. I’m trying to move onto a wide open flight
3. the cause of the delay is another United flight.

what should I do here? Heading to the airport now. Should I hope for the best and just turn up at LAX and ask them to rebook me? Or is there a better option? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:09 am

What about changing to IAH-SFO they have a similar timed flight
chavala, Keystone and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’d hope for the best first, but use the flat tire rule secondary. You took a risk by booking separate tickets though. Thats a risk I would never take.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Lots of FTers are willing to take the risk of booking separate tickets; not so many with only 2.5 hours between flights.

Had you attempted to book the separate tickets under a single PNR? (Not sure if that would make a difference in the case of IROPS with UA; it would with AA.)

Originally Posted by peoplemover
What about changing to IAH-SFO they have a similar timed flight
The problem with that is that if the OP misses the first leg of his LAX-SFO-SYD ticket, the entire ticket could be voided.
SFO777, aquanine and northinsouth like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2024 at 11:37 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:18 am

Regardless, by his info it looks like he is on the delayed IAH-LAX that is now supposed to land at 5:25 and the LAX-SFO departs at 6:50. I wouldn't get into panic mode quite yet unless your delay becomes worse at the airport.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Are there any SDC options for LAX-SFO-SYD flight coming up?
cesco.g, jpezaris and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Is the "same day confirmed change" an option if the fare class is available for the nonstop LAX-SYD flight? If that is so wide open, the fare class should be 9 for any fare (I checked, every fare class is 9 except for RN1).
I would change to the nonstop LAX-SYD at IAH if OP has checked luggage.
jpezaris, eightblack and aquanine like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Are there any SDC options for LAX-SFO-SYD flight coming up?
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Is the "same day confirmed change" an option if the fare class is available for the nonstop LAX-SYD flight? If that is so wide open, the fare class should be 9 for any fare (I checked, every fare class is 9 except for RN1).
Yeah, this ought to be possible on the app, unless the LAX-SFO-SYD is a broken fare.
Live4Upgrades likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by david_oz
.... I guess I was just expecting a little more help since:
1. I’m a a 1K
2. I’m trying to move onto a wide open flight
3. the cause of the delay is another United flight.
For this situation those generally will not help in advance of an issue. Once you have actually missed the LAX flight UA will provide some recovery but not until there is an actual problem. Doing something because something might happen when you created a high risk situation, is very unlikely.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:46 am
Original Poster

It looks like things have gotten better in the hour since I left the office. The inbound took off on-time and now my flight is delayed by less than it was.

A couple of people brought up the fare class which is the crux of the issue. My fare class on the LAX-SFO-SYD ticket is G (PZ from SFO-SYD if it makes a difference), and when they are changing my ticket the lowest available appears to be V. So it’s not showing any SDC options.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:52 am

due to United’s insane pricing out of Houston it more than $1,200 cheaper to book it this way. I guess I was just expecting a little more help since:
I am actually considering booking a separate DFW-EWR then EWR-LHR this summer to save almost $600... (DFW-LHR is $1440, individually it's $150+$708). It's so annoying.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
It looks like things have gotten better in the hour since I left the office. The inbound took off on-time and now my flight is delayed by less than it was.

A couple of people brought up the fare class which is the crux of the issue. My fare class on the LAX-SFO-SYD ticket is G (PZ from SFO-SYD if it makes a difference), and when they are changing my ticket the lowest available appears to be V. So it’s not showing any SDC options.
So, your SFO-SYD is in PZ while LAX-SFO is not. SDC for broken fares on App does not work. 1K agent can downgrade you to the originally purchased fare class first. You can then re-apply Pluspoints because PZ space is available for LAX-SYD nonstop.
Anywhere, happy to hear that IAH-LAX will be on time. Now, you can relax and PL hopping at IAH, LAX and SFO.
Have a good journey.
SPN Lifer and choch345 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
So, your SFO-SYD is in PZ while LAX-SFO is not. SDC for broken fares on App does not work. 1K agent can downgrade you to the originally purchased fare class first. You can then re-apply Pluspoints because PZ space is available for LAX-SYD nonstop.
Anywhere, happy to hear that IAH-LAX will be on time. Now, you can relax and PL hopping at IAH, LAX and SFO.
Have a good journey.
thank you for this. I don’t think I’m out of the woods just yet but things definitely look better

i think my game plan will be to hope for the best. By the time my plane takes off from IAH I should know whether I’m in trouble or not. If there is no hope of making the flight, I will message United in flight or get my fiancé to call in to do the downgrade / SDC.
Kmxu and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Tonight's 839 is wide open in all classes, so I would honestly SDC and re-clear the upgrade anyway unless you have some reason to want to visit SFO.
drewguy, Kacee, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Tonight's 839 is wide open in all classes, so I would honestly SDC and re-clear the upgrade anyway unless you have some reason to want to visit SFO.
agreed. SDC and re=requesting the UG is absolutely the way to go here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.