Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PN/PZ Not Showing For Connecting Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Some intl flights not showing upgrade inventory in expert mode?

Looking to book a trip in late February and am noticing that some flights are not showing upgrade fare classes (or partner saver Y awards) as part of an expert mode search on United.com.

For example, on my flight date UA195 (MUC-SFO, 772) is not showing PZ, PN, RN or X:
J9 JN9 C9 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 IN0 O9 ON9 A0 R0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K0 G0 XN9

Similarly, UA 160 (MUC-IAH, 763) is not showing PZ, PN, RN or X:
J9 JN9 C9 D8 Z1 ZN8 P0 IN0 O9 ON9 A9 R9 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K0 G0 XN9

In the same search, UA 181 (FRA-DEN, 789 +1 day) shows all fare classes like normal if allowing for an overnight connection:
J9 JN9 C9 D7 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O9 ON9 A3 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T1 L0 K0 G0 XN4 X0

But then again not if you have a same day connection (UA 181, FRA-DEN, 789). MUC-DEN does show same day upgrade space (also 789).

Seems somewhat random, but is highly annoying! Anyone else seeing this?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
I just noticed this for travel LHR-IAH. The direct flights show upgrade fare classes but connections don’t. However, if I search the long haul flight directly it will show PZ.

date I looked at was 1/14
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I just noticed this for travel LHR-IAH. The direct flights show upgrade fare classes but connections don’t. However, if I search the long haul flight directly it will show PZ.

date I looked at was 1/14
Thanks -- will look at the flights individually (though that's a giant pain...). My flights were late February.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
Thanks -- will look at the flights individually (though that's a giant pain...
Yes, it's a giant pain, but it has the significant upside of being accurate. PZ is not accurate on connecting flights, unless you're only interested in the very rare set of flights that has PZ all the way through, including the domestic connector.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
My guess is because United moved to married segment logic for displaying PN/PZ/XN data that they simply removed it from the website completely now. Let's face it...those numbers were always zero because even though the international flight may have PZ space the domestic almost definitely did not. Hence it showed PZ=0. United likely got a lot of complaints about that because people would book elsewhere and/or book other flights and/or manually search every single flight manually (like most frequent flyers would do).

When I search MUC-SFO by itself PN/PZ display completely fine (albeit ZERO as expected - haha).

-RM
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, it's a giant pain, but it has the significant upside of being accurate. PZ is not accurate on connecting flights, unless you're only interested in the very rare set of flights that has PZ all the way through, including the domestic connector.
I remember that being the case previously, but I thought that they had fixed this. I had seen several instances where the international flight was showing PZ space, but the domestic segment wasn't.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
My guess is because United moved to married segment logic for displaying PN/PZ/XN data that they simply removed it from the website completely now. Let's face it...those numbers were always zero because even though the international flight may have PZ space the domestic almost definitely did not. Hence it showed PZ=0. United likely got a lot of complaints about that because people would book elsewhere and/or book other flights and/or manually search every single flight manually (like most frequent flyers would do).

When I search MUC-SFO by itself PN/PZ display completely fine (albeit ZERO as expected - haha).

-RM
Could be, but I'm not sure that this would explain why I was seeing upgrade inventory for BER-MUC-DEN (same-day) and BER-FRA-DEN (with overnight in FRA), but not for BER-FRA-DEN (same-day).

Last edited by GBadger; Jan 10, 2024 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger

I remember that being the case previously, but I thought that they had fixed this. I have seen several instances where the international flight was showing PZ space, but the domestic segment wasn't.

They then changed it back.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
They then changed it back.
Sounds about right
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Possibly related, but my attempt today to book a flight from the US to London with a PlusPoint upgrade selected under advanced search options is giving ridiculous prices. The options to upgrade from Economy to PE or Polaris seem to default to Y class fares. But when I try to book the direct flight from IAD-LHR, the prices are reasonable (and the PZ inventory shows up in expert mode).
exerda likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Looks like they removed this data display in the mobile app as well. I flew Europe -> US today and while I was on the plane I looked up flights for my Sunday trip. No PN/PZ/XN displayed whatsoever on connecting itineraries including all-UA operated.

-RM
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:57 pm

This was surfacing in this thread also. Looking at things segment by segment seems to be the solution.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:33 pm

PN/PZ Not Showing For Connecting Flights

Anyone else notice that PN/PZ space even with expert mode enabled is not showing for flights. I was looking for flights today and if I did SFO-EWR direct I can see PN/PZ if I look at flights with connections no PN/PZ fare buckets even show up. Seems like its the same if I look at other flights. Wondering if this is new?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:56 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Last week this problem seemed to have gone away but is back again today. Can someone confirm that if I find PN/PZ inventory on an individual leg that it will clear when pluspoints are applied? TKIA
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:07 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj
Last week this problem seemed to have gone away but is back again today. Can someone confirm that if I find PN/PZ inventory on an individual leg that it will clear when pluspoints are applied? TKIA
Yes. It is cleared leg by leg when PZ space becomes available.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
App not showing PZ, PN, and IN

My app hasn’t shown the upgrade inventory for several days now. All other fare classes show normally. Obviously if this was widespread, FlyerTalk would be abuzz, so something is likely amiss with my settings / configuration….. anyone know what?
ARR72 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 21, 2024 at 11:54 am Reason: moved to existing thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.