Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying UA ticketed Flight Segment(s) Out of Order? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying UA ticketed Flight Segment(s) Out of Order? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cleopatra2
Hi all,

I have read though much of this huge thread, but I want to get some advice on my own particular situation.

Two months ago I booked frequent flyer tickets on United Airlines/Star Alliance. These flights are still 8 months out. On one single booking I have the following flights:

Rochester to Newark - United
Newark to Stockholm - United
Stockholm to Helsinki - SAS (operated by City jet)

8 days later

Vilnius to Warsaw - LOT
Warsaw to Gdansk - LOT

4 days later

Gdansk to Warsaw - LOT
Warsaw to O'Hare - LOT
O'Hare to Rochester - United

Again all this is one booking created with one standard 60,000 mile United award (booked on United's website). One confirmation/record locator covers the whole thing.

I have now noticed that that the third flight (SAS - Stockholm to Helsinki) has been "schedule changed" to be 3 hours later giving me a whopping 7 hours in the Stockholm airport and making me miss my event in Helsinki. Of course I called United looking for an earlier flight, but they could offer me nothing that was an improvement.

United has not sent me an email detailing this change, I noticed it when logging into United.com.

I have some possible options I would like you to comment on:

1) Do not accept or reject the schedule changes as of now - just wait and see if more schedule changes come over the next few months and give me more flight options.
2) Buy a cheap $60 one way ticket from Stockholm to Helsinki and skip my scheduled but awful and useless Stockholm to Helsinki segment.

Now the reason that this post is in this thread is that skipping this one segment will likely cancel all my remaining 5 flight segments - right?

Even though this is mult-city across four airlines, skipping that single and only SAS segment will zap all that follows on all airlines - correct?

Thanks and if you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Cleo
If you do not take your flights in the order they appear on your PNR the remainder will auto-cancel, correct. You options are, essentially, to accept the new flights or to request an earlier flight to HEL. This earlier flight, however, may not have award space available, and it is not up to UA to deliver this, but the operating carrier. My suggestion is to work with UA on a broader revised itinerary that allows you to meet your timing in Helsinki.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hi all,

I have read though much of this huge thread, but I want to get some advice on my own particular situation.

Two months ago I booked frequent flyer tickets on United Airlines/Star Alliance. These flights are still 8 months out. On one single booking I have the following flights:

Rochester to Newark - United
Newark to Stockholm - United
Stockholm to Helsinki - SAS (operated by City jet)

8 days later

Vilnius to Warsaw - LOT
Warsaw to Gdansk - LOT

4 days later

Gdansk to Warsaw - LOT
Warsaw to O'Hare - LOT
O'Hare to Rochester - United

Again all this is one booking created with one standard 60,000 mile United award (booked on United's website). One confirmation/record locator covers the whole thing.

I have now noticed that that the third flight (SAS - Stockholm to Helsinki) has been "schedule changed" to be 3 hours later giving me a whopping 7 hours in the Stockholm airport and making me miss my event in Helsinki. Of course I called United looking for an earlier flight, but they could offer me nothing that was an improvement.

United has not sent me an email detailing this change, I noticed it when logging into United.com.

I have some possible options I would like you to comment on:

1) Do not accept or reject the schedule changes as of now - just wait and see if more schedule changes come over the next few months and give me more flight options.
2) Buy a cheap $60 one way ticket from Stockholm to Helsinki and skip my scheduled but awful and useless Stockholm to Helsinki segment.

Now the reason that this post is in this thread is that skipping this one segment will likely cancel all my remaining 5 flight segments - right?

Even though this is mult-city across four airlines, skipping that single and only SAS segment will zap all that follows on all airlines - correct?

Thanks and if you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Cleo
Also, you're still 8 months out. Airlines can and do change their schedules frequently. Keep an eye on the itinerary as well as what SAS and UA are doing. You can always take more time to see if things move closer toward your liking - or to a point where things don't work anymore and you can then ask for a refund if desired.

David
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest #1 . Check regularly for a better option from ROC to HEL or from ARN to HEL. Note that UA's systems can get cranky if there's no longer award availability on all partner segments, but this is usually (not always) less of an issue in Economy. You can ignore the number of miles required: if ROC-IAD-FRA-HEL works for your schedule, but it's a lot more miles, UA can still open space for you.

If you never find an alternative ARN-HEL award flight, call UA and tell them that the schedule change is unacceptable and that you'll find your own transportation from ARN-HEL, so you'd like to drop that segment from your record. Then, you can proceed with the $60 purchase.

You're correct that no-showing the segment entirely will cause all remaining flights to be cancelled.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DELee
Also, you're still 8 months out. Airlines can and do change their schedules frequently. Keep an eye on the itinerary as well as what SAS and UA are doing. You can always take more time to see if things move closer toward your liking - or to a point where things don't work anymore and you can then ask for a refund if desired.

David
Possible, but European carriers do not amend their schedules with the same enthusiasm that the likes of AA, UA, and DL do.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:00 pm

Thanks all,

Yeah, I think the best plan of action at this point is just to lie low and wait. Right now there are no SAS flights between Stockholm and Helsinki for a 7 hour interval between 8 am and 3 pm. I think that has to change.

In the past I have noticed certain airlines will pull a scheduled flight for a month or so and then reinstate it. I have always thought they did it to reschedule people on to less popular timings. Then they reopen the pulled flight and charge more. I've caught two different U.S. carriers pulling this stunt before and had them reschedule me back to my original time slot. That is why I don't want to accept or decline their suggested changes as yet.

I did indeed look at rescheduling the entire Rochester to Helsinki part, but I like flying into Stockholm because there are so many options to get to Helsinki from there (well at least non-SAS options!).

Hopefully, it will be a while before I get the dreaded United email. But even if I do get it I will likely ignore it.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past I have noticed certain airlines will pull a scheduled flight for a month or so and then reinstate it. I have always thought they did it to reschedule people on to less popular timings. Then they reopen the pulled flight and charge more. I've caught two different U.S. carriers pulling this stunt before and had them reschedule me back to my original time slot.
I suspect it's your imagination. For one thing, they wouldn't need to go to that much trouble. They could just move people around and hope that they won't notice. For another, very few people book flights months in advance anyway; certainly not enough for airlines to be busy trying to mess with their schedules for a small amount of incremental profit. And, finally, it's rare for airlines to offer their best prices in advance anyway. If they expect, e.g,, the noon departure to be popular, they'll just limit its inventory in order to raise its fares.

That is why I don't want to accept or decline their suggested changes as yet.
I agree with this, because the flight really can come back. I just don't think they have some mysterious reason. And, if it doesn't, you can keep looking anyway. UA doesn't impose a time limit on you to respond.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
very few people book flights months in advance anyway
I would guess that most passengers do, particularly to leisure destinations. I generally book at least 6 months ahead, and sometimes as much as a full year (or as close as the airline will allow).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would guess that most passengers do, particularly to leisure destinations. I generally book at least 6 months ahead, and sometimes as much as a full year (or as close as the airline will allow).
Outside of events and holidays, you're mistaken. You can see as much by looking at seat maps.

You may be costing yourself a lot of money by being in a rush to book. Again, excepting holiday periods, fares tend to be lowest sometime between 3 weeks and 3 months prior to departure, and that's also when loads generally start to firm up. Booking a year in advance is only advisable if you're trying to get an award seat on an airline that still opens up awards at T-330 (UA does not).

There may be exceptions for certain leisure destinations (e.g., Hawaii).
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Outside of events and holidays, you're mistaken. You can see as much by looking at seat maps.

You may be costing yourself a lot of money by being in a rush to book. Again, excepting holiday periods, fares tend to be lowest sometime between 3 weeks and 3 months prior to departure, and that's also when loads generally start to firm up. Booking a year in advance is only advisable if you're trying to get an award seat on an airline that still opens up awards at T-330 (UA does not).

There may be exceptions for certain leisure destinations (e.g., Hawaii).
I'd go further and say you would be extremely hard-pressed to find a single flight that is booked over 50% at 90 days out. Even the Wednesday before Thanksgiving rarely fills up that fast.

Closest I can think of is the forward cabin on certain extreme-demand flights, like p.s. to JPM in SFO.

The other reason to book a year in advance, of course, is to pounce on an int'l J sale that happens to be valid to EOS and you want to travel then
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:16 am

Thanks again all.

Yep, the only reason to book so early is to get a particular award flight - which is what I did. Then you have to wait for months and react when they change things on you.

Sometimes it can go the other way. I tend to book longer layovers in my first connection since my home airport is small and tends to suffer delays and cancellations frequently. On a couple of occasions an airline changed me to a tighter connection than I wanted. In those cases they did not have a problem putting me on an earlier flight.

The funny thing is, when I booked this award flight I chose to connect through Stockholm because I expected there to be 10's of flights per day on SAS from Stockholm to Helsinki (flag carrier to/from neighboring country capitals). I figured there would be enough flights so schedule changes there wouldn't be such a problem. Bad assumption I guess!!

Again, hoping another schedule change sorts the problem out. If not at some point I will simply ask them to concoct a routing that gets me there closer to my original booked time.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:41 am

the best part of booking early is the guarantee of a schedule change and residual refund of the value of the unflown segment upon request
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
the best part of booking early is the guarantee of a schedule change and residual refund of the value of the unflown segment upon request
There's never a guarantee of a schedule change, although I will grant that they do happen frequently. I suppose if you're specifically looking for a hidden-city ticket, that's one possible approach.

Incidentally, the other reason to book in advance is if you're planning to upgrade and see PZ space. Whenever I have a booking more than a couple of months out, that's usually why.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:46 pm

Skipping middle segment, other passengers cancelled? Checked Bag?

I need advice on this convoluted situation.

My brother and sister are flying domestic with checked snowboard bags from A-B-C, then back from C-D-E-A on a UA MP Award. Sister has MP card for free bags for both of them. I put a $12 seat upgrade on a leg on her CSP for travel protection benefits.

It was a great deal. Until my sister was informed that a bachelorette weekend was to take place at the end of this trip, and it happens to be in city D. She'd like to skip out on legs to E and A.

Would my brother's ticket from E to A be cancelled? Will my sister's bag continue on to A, or would it be pulled at D or E after my brother informs the gate attendant that she's ill? She doesn't need the bag at D, as she'd have a carry-on and my brother can deal with the bag at A.

Thank you.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by Aitchjee
Would my brother's ticket from E to A be cancelled?
No.

Originally Posted by Aitchjee
Will my sister's bag continue on to A, or would it be pulled at D or E after my brother informs the gate attendant that she's ill?
That should be a fun conversation: "My sister's really sick. She'd like to stay here by herself."

The bag will not be pulled.

Personally, I'd call UA, explain the situation, and pay the change fee (or hope the agent might waive it). As it stands, if there's a cancellation on C-D, UA has no particular obligation to send her to D. They can put her on a C-E-A flight, or C-XXX-A on another carrier, etc.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:13 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
No.
Thank you!

That should be a fun conversation: "My sister's really sick. She'd like to stay here by herself."

The bag will not be pulled.
I was thinking, "She drank too much at Centurion. My cousin is picking her up and she's sleeping it off there."
Good to know the bag won't be pulled. That sounds like the best option, especially factoring checked bag fees waived with her on the whole PNR.

Personally, I'd call UA, explain the situation, and pay the change fee (or hope the agent might waive it). As it stands, if there's a cancellation on C-D, UA has no particular obligation to send her to D. They can put her on a C-E-A flight, or C-XXX-A on another carrier, etc.
Thanks for pointing that out. She wouldn't want to take the board to D for the weekend. So without her bag waiver, he'd be charged $70 for 1st and 2nd bags. And if they wouldn't waive the change fee, that's another $75. At $145, I think we'd roll the dice.

My fear in calling in, is that they'd put a note on the reservation that some tomfoolery was afoot and it'd worsen the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.