Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying UA ticketed Flight Segment(s) Out of Order? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying UA ticketed Flight Segment(s) Out of Order? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver

I have a bit of a unique situation. Last August I bought open-jaw tickets AAA-LHR-BBB/CCC-LHR-AAA. LHR-BBB/CCC-LHR flights are on bmi. I've already flown AAA-BBB but have found out my visa for CCC was denied.. so obviously won't be able to fly from there. I can make it from BBB to LHR on my own. If I checkin online for LHR-AAA before but noshow for the bmi segment will the LHR-AAA segment still be cancelled? UA wants $$$$ to cancel that segment and fly on flights I am already on.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
this is a good brain teaser....I think this question is on the Mensa test. call the airline...only way to get an honest answer. most likely not in your favor :/
Old May 13, 2012, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
In general, yes they will cancel the ticket. There's a slim chance that BMI wouldn't process the no-show correctly and UA wouldn't find out, but I wouldn't count on it. You will need to find some way to call from BBB (before your BBB-CCC flight was due to leave) otherwise you could be stuck with no ticket.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world
In general, yes they will cancel the ticket. There's a slim chance that BMI wouldn't process the no-show correctly and UA wouldn't find out, but I wouldn't count on it. You will need to find some way to call from BBB (before your BBB-CCC flight was due to leave) otherwise you could be stuck with no ticket.
yeah the flight is 3 days after BMI leaves *A so maybe the connection won't be there But I've been on hold almost 2 hours on and off from Almaty and keep getting disconnected. Getting denied the visa really messed up my plans... already had to buy $800 in other tickets to get around.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If BMI takes pity on you, you can ask them to cancel that segment so it doesn't get shown as a no-show. They may very well do this because it's a visa issue.

If you just don't show up, you're more likely to have a problem than if you have them delete the flight.

It's kind of like someone travelling SFO-ORD-MKE, and misconnecting to ORD-MKE. If they just take the train, their return is in jeopardy. If the GA cancels ORD-MKE when you tell them you're going to take the train, then you're good.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you don't actually fly any segment in the order issued, UA will cancel the remainder of the itinerary. You will then need to purchase a walk-up ticket for the remainder of the itinerary which you still need, in order to get home.

That price will only be higher than what UA is quoting you today to make the change.

Too late for OP - but a cautionary note for others. Don't ever buy non-refundable tickets to any location for which you don't hold a valid visa unless you absolutely know that one will be issued. It's your sole responsibility as a pax.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by Often1
Too late for OP - but a cautionary note for others. Don't ever buy non-refundable tickets to any location for which you don't hold a valid visa unless you absolutely know that one will be issued. It's your sole responsibility as a pax.
Agreed....airlines cannot and should not be responsible for refunding tickets for any type of reason around travel documentation.l.lthats on the traveller
Old May 13, 2012, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by channa
If BMI takes pity on you, you can ask them to cancel that segment so it doesn't get shown as a no-show. They may very well do this because it's a visa issue.

If you just don't show up, you're more likely to have a problem than if you have them delete the flight.

It's kind of like someone travelling SFO-ORD-MKE, and misconnecting to ORD-MKE. If they just take the train, their return is in jeopardy. If the GA cancels ORD-MKE when you tell them you're going to take the train, then you're good.
I don't think that helps OP. His issue is that UA will nonetheless refare the itinerary and has already told him what it will cost. Apparently a lot.

The only other step worth checking is what a completely new ticket would cost to get him home. There are occasions when it's less than refaring an existing ticket.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Was eventually successful in getting through after 2 hrs of getting disconnected on skype, they were able to change the ticket with only having to pay the additional dep tax from London. No change fee since I recently got an email saying UA would waive change fees on bmi. Whew. The trick was a friend was booked on an award ticket on the same itinerary.. at least his ticket was easier to change.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Yeah unfortunately a catch-22. Getting an Iranian visa authorization (for US citizens at least) requires having flights booked already. I only found out we weren't getting a visa the day before we left for Almaty.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:52 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Was eventually successful in getting through after 2 hrs of getting disconnected on skype, they were able to change the ticket with only having to pay the additional dep tax from London. No change fee since I recently got an email saying UA would waive change fees on bmi. Whew. The trick was a friend was booked on an award ticket on the same itinerary.. at least his ticket was easier to change.
Glad it worked out.

Not checking your visas: $800 in new tickets.
Hoping that UA will not notice that you skipped the BMI flight: Cost of new ticket home.
Peace of mind after calling UA: Priceless.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Missing first segment on an award ticket?

Say I have an award ticket from AAA-BBB-CCC.. Now my trip to AAA has been canceled, and I can easily get to BBB... Considering that the flight to BBB is on LH and to CCC on TG. Whats the chances that if I say do OLCI for the LH segment, that I can get on the TG segment?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
1Ks can change awards for free.

If the entirety of the ticket is AAA-BBB-CCC as you described, you can cancel the segment you no longer need.

Now if there's more to the story (e.g., this is a return and now you're adding a stopover/open jaw/etc.), it will complicate things.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
But what if he wasn't a 1K?

Originally Posted by channa
1Ks can change awards for free.

If the entirety of the ticket is AAA-BBB-CCC as you described, you can cancel the segment you no longer need.

Now if there's more to the story (e.g., this is a return and now you're adding a stopover/open jaw/etc.), it will complicate things.
But if not a 1K, and you checked in for your later flight but didn't fly an earlier segment, will the system already know that you'd skipped that first flight and not let you on? That's an interesting question. No way would I consider doing that on an outbound segment, since the itin would likely get flagged at some point and the rest of the trip killed.

Perhaps for an award ticket there'd be less oversight on such things? It would certainly be a major issue for paid flights, since it's sometimes the case that an MRY-SFO-ORD flight is considerably less-expensive than an SFO-ORD. They wouldn't want people booking the extra segment to save money and not fly it.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:17 pm

But does the rule hold while on a mixed carrier itinerary? Does missing Carrier A's flights cancel out Carrier B flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.