Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather waiver by non-UA operating airline but UA ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum

Could’t find this scenario in another thread:
I have a UA ticketed TB flight AC YYZ-ORD connecting to UA ORD-XXX. AC has a travel waiver in place for YYZ on the date of travel, but UA does not. Will UA allow a free reroute based on the operating airlines waiver?

Last edited by emoose1; Jan 11, 2024 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emoose1
Will UA allow a free reroute based on the operating airlines waiver?
Not per policy, although you could ask.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:27 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Assuming you are within 24 hours of the flight - you can ask AC to re-route the flight, since they are the issuer of the waiver.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Called UA — no dice. Called AC — told to call ticketing carrier. ☹️
Will HUCA UA later.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:23 pm

UA has a waver https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...el-alerts.html. ORD is listed.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leonidas
My mistake: AC waiver is for YYZ on 1/14.
Call #2 UA does not care about ACs waivers. Considering the JV, there is little coordination.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
On the day of, AC's waiver should apply to AC's segments, which you'll handle with AC.

The JV is for pricing and schedules, not operational.
jsloan, TerryK and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:00 pm

Snow ends at ORD by mid day on 1/13. UA won't let you reschedule a flight on 1/14.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
This is very timely discussion. I had *A ticket booked/issued by United. Outbound on LX and return on LH. My flight to GVA was entirely on LX. Due to ORD weather waiver, United allowed me to change that for feee to UA-only itinerary, so I could change for free to UA metal to GVA via EWR or IAD.

in general, as long as UA issues your ticket, if your partner airline flight gets cancelled, you can call UA and have them find any alternate carrier/route - but your flight has to be cancelled/misconnectee first.
SPN Lifer and JPG3392 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by compwhiz
in general, as long as UA issues your ticket, if your partner airline flight gets cancelled, you can call UA and have them find any alternate carrier/route - but your flight has to be cancelled/misconnectee first.
Only before the day of travel. At that point, it's the operating carrier who bears responsibility.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Only before the day of travel. At that point, it's the operating carrier who bears responsibility.
Yes the operating carrier bears responsibility, but the ticketing carrier can (by IATA guidelines) and should (by *A guidelines) assist if contacted by the customer.

Originally Posted by leonidas
Snow ends at ORD by mid day on 1/13. UA won't let you reschedule a flight on 1/14.
If it's same storm system, good chance they will issue a separate waiver once they confirm the track. They haven't done anything yet addressing where this system will be going after it hits the midwest.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Interestingly my outbound was a UA ticketed/operated XXX-ORD-YYZ. There was an ORD waiver on day of travel and I was proactively rebooked on a direct AC operated codeshare (generous as no delay or cancellation, just waiver). If UA has a waiver, it seems they’re pretty flexible. Non-UA operating airline waiver, not so much…
Will call AC within 24 hours and see what they say. Obviously prefer a direct AC operated flight. It was double the fare originally or I would have booked that outright.

Last edited by emoose1; Jan 12, 2024 at 10:52 am
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:31 am
Original Poster

As an update:
UA added waiver for ORD, AC has existing waiver for YYZ.

On day of travel:
Called AC: would not touch UA ticket to rebook due to waiver

Called UA: would not allow rebooking onto direct AC flight, even though original ticket included a codeshare operated by AC. Offered only UA operated options, including a MAX 9 flight via EWR.

AC flight eventually delayed 30 minutes. Called both AC/UA and neither would not allow rebooking.

AC flight eventually delayed 60 minutes with under 30 connection in ORD. UA finally allowed rebooking onto direct AC flight annotating INVOL.

Conclusion: weather waivers on UA ticketed codeshare flights fail to assist

Last edited by emoose1; Jan 14, 2024 at 11:47 am
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emoose1
Conclusion: weather waivers on UA ticketed codeshare flights fail to assist
Nonsense. UA offered to re-book on UA metal which is what the weather waiver does - these waivers do not allow for OAL rebooking.
When your flight was delayed to the point of a misconnect, now this is an irop situation and UA will rebook OAL in such cases.
This is exactly as it was supposed to happen.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Nonsense. UA offered to re-book on UA metal which is what the weather waiver does - these waivers do not allow for OAL rebooking.
When your flight was delayed to the point of a misconnect, now this is an irop situation and UA will rebook OAL in such cases.
This is exactly as it was supposed to happen.
Except the operating airline also had a corresponding waiver…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.