Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
My prediction:

- they'll remove 5 now-useful things we have come to like
- they'll add "in app purchases" for useless stuff we don't want
- they'll add credit card application pop-up screens that can't be disabled
- they'll make it much prettier with auto-playing background videos, and high-rez pictures of smiling passengers/models (at the cost of much slower download speeds)
- they'll moderately improve the app in 1 or 2 areas
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Add me to the list of those made apprehensive (n pun) by a plan to redesign the app.

I can cope with the tiny and 'streamlined' meals, but loss of the app's functionality would be a more material degradation of my travel experience. The app uses little data and it is quite fast; it would make me quite sad (one might say—unhappy. ) if those changed.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:53 am

I would add upsells for Y+, a streamlined flight status screen (instead of multiple), and home screen updates to pull up current reservations. I hope they use the same contractor for the update. It certainly is the best airline app.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TomMM
The only enhancement I'd like to see is the ability to apply upgrade instruments.
I am not sure that would even make a difference as restrictive as the use of the upgrade instruments are now. I have not had RPU clear in a few years. GPUs can be cleared but some diligence is needed to find the flight(s) they do clear.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by narvik
My prediction:

- they'll remove 5 now-useful things we have come to like
- they'll add "in app purchases" for useless stuff we don't want
- they'll add credit card application pop-up screens that can't be disabled
- they'll make it much prettier with auto-playing background videos, and high-rez pictures of smiling passengers/models (at the cost of much slower download speeds)
- they'll moderately improve the app in 1 or 2 areas
"You're going to like the changes".
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by fumje
The app uses little data and it is quite fast; it would make me quite sad (one might say—unhappy. ) if those changed.
The UA app is one of the ONLY apps I have installed on my Chinese phone that works well even on very limited data speeds in various countries without the need of a VPN or Wifi connection.
Something tells me that will end with this "upgrade"...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Breakfast for 2,500 miles does not seem like a terrible deal though...
wait until you see what will be served before jumping into a conclusion...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Dang, I also don't want them to change the app, it's fine the way it is, and I'm surprised many of us feel the same. I wonder how we can get this feedback to that United Exec? Anyone want to attend that event and pull up this Flyertalk thread for them? LOL.

I really think they should be asking their most frequent flyers about input on the app. I would be surprised if they just designed this themselves without any input from the customer, especially 1K-ers and GS.

In the meantime, I am going to turn off automatic app updates on my iPhone so that I can keep the "old version" for as long as possible, once they roll out the new one. Hopefully I can still use the old version too.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, unfortunately, I guess the majority of us will be un-appy...

David
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Breakfast for 2,500 miles does not seem like a terrible deal though...
"You have the choice of 2 options, a french toast souffle or the southwestern omelette" LOL
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Changes are coming to the app, and the designers think you will like them
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jayzala
I wonder how we can get this feedback to that United Exec? Anyone want to attend that event and pull up this Flyertalk thread for them?
Likely too late for that.
TPG is probably there "co-hosting" the event as part of an effort to give this roll-out some credibility amongst [frequent] flyers.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
This is good news.

Untied's current app is seriously out of date and needs updating. Something as simple as Premier progress can't be viewed in the app - something both Delta and American have in their apps. In fact, it's on the home screen of Delta's app.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by elperro
Something as simple as Premier progress can't be viewed in the app....
Something I have NEVER been particularly interested in whilst traveling.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by elperro
This is good news.

Untied's current app is seriously out of date and needs updating. Something as simple as Premier progress can't be viewed in the app - something both Delta and American have in their apps. In fact, it's on the home screen of Delta's app.
Curious about what else you might think is out of date on it. Just Premier progress? Or other things. I find it WAY better than either Delta or AA's app and am interested in why you think it is out of date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.