Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
If it really is 171 planes that are affected, then that's most of the 737-9 MAXs that have been delivered. Far more than just 5 of United's planes
215 are in operation worldwide. And the groundings will be lifted for each aircraft once inspections have been performed, provided no further problems are noted.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by halls120
Post #158

on the United Reddit, it was “reported” this AS airframe has pressurization issues twice prior and was removed from ETOPS service. Do with this what you will.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Imstevek
on the United Reddit, it was “reported” this AS airframe has pressurization issues twice prior and was removed from ETOPS service. Do with this what you will.
Perhaps a bit more reputable source:

https://theaircurrent.com/feed/dispa...zation-issues/
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The notice says “certain MAX9s”, not all. Let’s be accurate on this.
Corrected. 171 frames is ~80 percent of them.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Post #158

Originally Posted by Jeff767
I would wait to see the report. It appears that Alaska may have worked on the door the day prior. It could be a case where they failed to latch it. If there is no AD issued that almost certainly was the cause.
Yeah, so “it appears” is rather vague… where does it appear? And they didn’t work on “the door”, because there isn’t (wasn’t) a door… just a plug, and the story in

doesn't mention what they worked on. And the aircraft had at least two flights (both transcons) since 1/4, so “they failed to latch it” sounds unlikely to this complete amateur. Maybe they for got something. Or screwed something up. Or missed to notice something. Or they maintained something else.

Sorry for giving you a hard time here; I don’t mean to be argumentative, but this is how rumors get spread. “It appears” in one post turns into “AS botched a repair” in another thread or site. I think we will find out soon enough what happened here. And I am not sure what to wish for - that it was a factory install/parts defect or a maintenance issue.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Not a good look for AS considering there were prior indications that something was amiss.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry for giving you a hard time here; I don’t mean to be argumentative, but this is how rumors get spread. “It appears” in one post turns into “AS botched a repair” in another thread or site. I think we will find out soon enough what happened here. And I am not sure what to wish for - that it was a factory install/parts defect or a maintenance issue.
The only point I intended to make is that the aircraft at issue had existing mx issues, so there was no need to ground all 739's unless further investigation warranted. That's it. I wasn't blaming AS mechanics or Boeing assemblers, because we don't know yet what caused the problem.

The FAA is doing the right thing by having operators perform what is apparently a simple inspection. If anything, I was cautioning against a premature "let's ground all 737max immediately," as we are already seeing across the internet.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
The only point I intended to make is that the aircraft at issue had existing mx issues, so there was no need to ground all 739's unless further investigation warranted. That's it. I wasn't blaming AS mechanics or Boeing assemblers, because we don't know yet what caused the problem.

The FAA is doing the right thing by having operators perform what is apparently a simple inspection. If anything, I was cautioning against a premature "let's ground all 737max immediately," as we are already seeing across the internet.
While this may end up being just an AS issue, I do think Boeing has lost the benefit of the doubt on these things.
ContinentalFan and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
How old is UA's newest Max9? Or how few take-off/landing cycles does the least used UA Max9 have? (AS' incident craft had ~140)
Originally Posted by dkc192
According to the UA fleet site, the newest UA MAX 9 appears to be N77578, which entered service on 11/28/23.
120 plus any flight test done under another registration (probably zero or not many).

Originally Posted by RCyyz
If I was running an airline - I'd have all the 3M9s proactively examined, I'm not saying a complete C or D check, but some sort of inspection beyond visual would be prudent.
How have you determined an inspection beyond visual is prudent?

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
How do you "over-react" to a fuselage blowing out mid-flight? Something like 175 people on that AS flight and miraculously, no one was in that particular window seat.
The fuselage did not blow out; this was not an Aloha 243. This was a door plug blowing out.
jsloan, halls120 and narvik like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:16 pm

so the rumor was correct 😂

I’ll hold off on the debate of who ranks higher in credibility - Reddit, or FT 😁
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Not a good look for AS considering there were prior indications that something was amiss.
yea precisely, trade off being you can’t divert on ETOPS routings? Woof!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:20 pm

FAA has grounded them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/06/boei...midflight.html
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Just another reason to have status - get E+ at booking and you’ll never sit that far back in the plane.
I can’t wait to see SNL tonight!!
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by boat stuck
I did move to an aisle seat on the 39M though.
Just don't book 30A, which appears to be the United equivalent of 26A on Alaska - note the greater spaced between windows at Row 30. https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-37m

(I wonder if there's a similar plugged door on the R side . . . I'm guessing yes, in which case 30F is also off limits?)
schwarm likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Start setting our EFs for aircraft change alerts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.