Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by UTex09
I too have been specifically booking around avoiding Max planes. There is something systemically wrong and it feels like it’s only a matter of time before something else happens involving a max.
That’s my point. The flaw at Boeing seems to be in the company DNA. If there is another major Boeing issue, the company will be in serious problem. My confidence in the MAX9 is solely due to United pilots and maintenance. I don’t have that confidence in Boeing: the company needs to clear out senior management and the board. I think that United needs to get in line at Airbus now!
UTex09 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 18, 2024 at 9:46 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator's edit
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I could rant, but it would end up on Omni. United and other carriers need to send message to Boeing and its shareholders that shoddy work that kills and terrorizes passengers and employees is not acceptable and overhaul is needed. As long as it keeps raking in money, there won't be much change.

I don't bother with changing planes if I get a MAX, it is too hard to change/avoid and a gamble but so is driving to/from airport.

There was the 787 stupid lithium battery design that almost torched a plane or two, but we are still all flying it and it would be very hard to avoid it if one wanted to fly internationally on United.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I could rant, but it would end up on Omni. United and other carriers need to send message to Boeing and its shareholders that shoddy work that kills and terrorizes passengers and employees is not acceptable and overhaul is needed. As long as it keeps raking in money, there won't be much change.

I don't bother with changing planes if I get a MAX, it is too hard to change/avoid and a gamble but so is driving to/from airport.

There was the 787 stupid lithium battery design that almost torched a plane or two, but we are still all flying it and it would be very hard to avoid it if one wanted to fly internationally on United.
I suspect that message has been sent and probably with much emphasis.
CApreppie and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Mentour Pilot has a new video out showing what [supposedly] happened.
The beginning part of the video is very interesting, as it shows/explains the specific details surrounding the Alaska Flight's door plug.

The plug got sent from SPIRIT AeroSystems in Malaysia to Boeing.
And if this is all to be believed, according to some whistleblower, Boeing then found some faults with some rivets, and SPIRIT was called into Boeing to fix that issue. But instead of fixing it, they supposedly painted over the bad rivets (!). Boeing discovered this also, and commissioned a proper fix. Unfortunately the 4 bolts weren't replaced after the plug was put back in place (unclear by whom).

The video goes into much more detail & explanations in the first third. The remaining two thirds of the video is Mentour Pilot's usual flight 're-creation'.

Important for Alaska/United/this thread's door plug discussion are the first ~13 minutes of the video:

Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
Mentour Pilot has a new video out showing what [supposedly] happened.
The beginning part of the video is very interesting, as it shows/explains the specific details surrounding the Alaska Flight's door plug.

The plug got sent from SPIRIT AeroSystems in Malaysia to Boeing.
And if this is all to be believed, according to some whistleblower, Boeing then found some faults with some rivets, and SPIRIT was called into Boeing to fix that issue. But instead of fixing it, they supposedly painted over the bad rivets (!). Boeing discovered this also, and commissioned a proper fix. Unfortunately the 4 bolts weren't replaced after the plug was put back in place (unclear by whom).

The video goes into much more detail & explanations in the first third. The remaining two thirds of the video is Mentour Pilot's usual flight 're-creation'.

Important for Alaska/United/this thread's door plug discussion are the first ~13 minutes of the video:

https://youtu.be/ROeGKs4xTfs
if the rivets story is true, I sure hope the those involved no longer work for Spirit.
ContinentalFan and narvik like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
"Boeing says it can't find documents on the door plug that blew off mid-air," Nat'l Pub. ​​​​​​Radio, Mar. 9, 2024.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/09/12372...-investigation

"Justice Department launches criminal probe into Boeing 737 MAX Alaska Airlines incident," The Hill, Mar. 9, 2024.

https://thehill.com/policy/transport...ines-incident/

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Mar 9, 2024 at 11:53 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.