Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:09 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
UA 131
EWR - HND
01/05/2024

…The soup in the Japanese meal was more like water with a little dashi flavor - kudos for the attempt but it was a miss….
I dug around my Emergency Meal Repair kit for some shoyu but couldn’t find any. I did find a sriracha packet and doctored the soup a bit to give it some flavor.

Here’s the back end of the menu (since I can’t sleep on planes):

gutt22, kirkwoodj and bmwe92fan like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 7, 2024 at 10:59 am
Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
SIN-SFO Jan 2024

Here are my choices for upcoming SIN-SFO flight, don’t think I’ve had any of em. Any opinions on these? Anything particularly vile? TIA

Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Here are my choices for upcoming SIN-SFO flight, don’t think I’ve had any of em. Any opinions on these? Anything particularly vile? TIA

While I’m not a vegetarian, I’ve been going with the “pasta” option as the “less vile” and risky. The meat can sometimes be fatty/grisly, the chicken maybe fatty/thigh and never been a fan of seafood in general.
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Flat iron steak was quite pleasant (this from SFO-TPE):

I recommend it.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:46 pm

Paneer was excellent

Originally Posted by Skytizen
You sure it was not the wine?

Panneer is typically dry and does not have a glaze on it....
I am sorry to disagree but as a person of South Asian descent, I can say that the paneer was delicious. It was definitely fusion, not Indian but sweet and spicy. In Indian food, paneer is often in a curry, not always dry from the tandoor.
ijgordon, uanj, physioprof and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Flat iron steak was quite pleasant (this from SFO-TPE):

I recommend it.
I recently had the flat iron steak on the way back from Singapore. Based on the description, I was really looking forward to the meal. It was the worst meal I have ever eaten on United. The whole piece of meat was fat and gristle. I ended up eating the salad and bread and was thankful I had eaten something in the lounge.
Infinite1K and 330 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by ll22949
I recently had the flat iron steak on the way back from Singapore. Based on the description, I was really looking forward to the meal. It was the worst meal I have ever eaten on United. The whole piece of meat was fat and gristle. I ended up eating the salad and bread and was thankful I had eaten something in the lounge.
So, I guess it’s like the ubiquitous “short rib roulette”. It can be great - or inedible - based upon how fatty/gristley the piece of meat is, as well as the wellness temp.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
So, I guess it’s like the ubiquitous “short rib roulette”. It can be great - or inedible - based upon how fatty/gristley the piece of meat is, as well as the wellness temp.
Was about to write the same!
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:50 pm

Has anyone taken the MNL to SFO flight in the last few weeks? Taking that flight at the end of this month and wonder if anyone has any insight on meal options. Thank you!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Has anyone had recent experience with the pork schnitzel entree?

Try to see if I should order it, but if it is soggy I will pass.
Anyone tried it?

Originally Posted by ll22949
I assume the steak was prepared by catering facility in Singapore (not sure which catering company UA uses at SIN).
The steak used could be regionally sourced versus US based catering.

While I am a big fan of SQ in-flight catering, particularly out of SIN using the "Book the Cook" function, I have found food served by UA out of SIN is less desirable. Perhaps it is a "nickel & dime" issue. Catering oost is higher overseas.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Anyone tried it?.

That’s it. Tasted fine. It’s not “schnitzel”
UA_Flyer and narvik like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Rock214

thank you! Appreciate sharing it.
I think I will give it a pass
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Rock214

That lemon proportionally looks like the biggest piece of garnish I’ve seen. And a good way for United to fill up the dish and save some money in the process by not filling the plate with additional edible ingredient or larger portions of the existing items.
frutabell likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:19 am

I really hate the only choice post-pandemic is "express dining." Meaning I hate they plate everything together on the tray and serve versus serving entree separately.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:46 am

The shrimp stir fry is already out of stock 4 days before flight local time (SIN-SFO preorder pic above)! I'm gonna risk the steak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.