Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2024 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation 2024 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2023)

Hi all, been reading with interest everyone's experiences and would like your feedback on mine.

I'm a sad 2 PQF short of retaining Gold for 2024 (I'm set on PQP). Does anyone have any experience with buy-up status fees for such a small shortfall? It's about $400 RT anywhere for me to get those final two segments before the end of the year, but I'm guessing it may still be less expensive than what United may charge. Either way, I don't want to lose out on Gold next year - it's too much of an improvement over Silver, especially as I expect to travel a great deal more in '24.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by randerson80017
Hi all, been reading with interest everyone's experiences and would like your feedback on mine.

I'm a sad 2 PQF short of retaining Gold for 2024 (I'm set on PQP). Does anyone have any experience with buy-up status fees for such a small shortfall? It's about $400 RT anywhere for me to get those final two segments before the end of the year, but I'm guessing it may still be less expensive than what United may charge. Either way, I don't want to lose out on Gold next year - it's too much of an improvement over Silver, especially as I expect to travel a great deal more in '24.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I would expect UA buy to significant exceed $400 unless your PQP is very nearly the Gold, 10K PQP only, number.

No one has any idea of UA's algorithm for 2024 buy up but you can review the 2023 thread, 2023 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2022)
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by randerson80017

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I think $400 is worth it with the free access to E+ given the cost of subscription. Based on scanning previous year threads I don't think the buy-up is going to be as favorable. If you feel bad about spending the $$, maybe use miles for a quick round-trip if you find something cheap?
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Itll probably be less expensive than what UA will charge, yes
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
OP, if I was in your shoes, I would 100% go fly those 2 PQF in the next couple of days. The difference between 'Gold' and 'not Gold' is, for me, pretty significant. And I expect any buy-up that may be offered to exceed $400 in price.

Of course, I can't know any of this to be true. But *for me* I would not gamble it (assuming it's feasible to fly those PQF at this time)
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:52 pm

I ended up in nana land between Silver and Gold. Will be interested in seeing what a b up offer looks like in Jan
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I ended up in nana land between Silver and Gold. Will be interested in seeing what a b up offer looks like in Jan
*G is a massive jump over *S. I'll be shocked if UA gives you a good price.
ContinentalFan and MM_someday like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MM_someday
I think $400 is worth it with the free access to E+ given the cost of subscription. Based on scanning previous year threads I don't think the buy-up is going to be as favorable. If you feel bad about spending the $$, maybe use miles for a quick round-trip if you find something cheap?
Agree with the recommendation!

It’s cool that award flights on UA count toward PQF and PQP for status requalification - do other airlines offer this perk?
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ty97
OP, if I was in your shoes, I would 100% go fly those 2 PQF in the next couple of days. The difference between 'Gold' and 'not Gold' is, for me, pretty significant. And I expect any buy-up that may be offered to exceed $400 in price.

Of course, I can't know any of this to be true. But *for me* I would not gamble it (assuming it's feasible to fly those PQF at this time)
Given how there hasn't been a truly normal year yet since UA redid the qualifying criteria, I do wonder what happens with people are are just PQF short. Do they determine the buyup offer as being short of the non-PQF threshold? I.e., OP would need around $2000 more PQD to qualify (I'm assuming OP is somewhere past $8k but well short of $10k). Because they can't really easily translate PQF to PQD as they can in just multiplying PQD shortage by some factor.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
Agree with the recommendation!

It’s cool that award flights on UA count toward PQF and PQP for status requalification - do other airlines offer this perk?
It is nice, you used to get nada on award travel.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MM_someday
Also worth it for IRROPs priority rebooking, IMO. I'd 100% spend the $400.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 4:51 pm

Is every MP member offered a buy up? I have a slightly different view. I am at 17K PQP and would need to get to 24K to maintain 1K into next year. Quite a ways off but my business will pay for it and I personally see 1K benefits. I do a lot of last minute flight changes, etc. and the 1K line + priority handling makes my travels much easier. I also used PP this year round trip to Europe for my family of 4. I know that is pure luck, but we received several thousand dollars of value. I would seriously CONSIDER most offers to maintain 1K.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lpro1111
Is every MP member offered a buy up? I have a slightly different view. I am at 17K PQP and would need to get to 24K to maintain 1K into next year. ...
No, not everyone will receive an offer. UA realizes some offers are just too ridiculous. but you could be in the $10K range.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lpro1111
Is every MP member offered a buy up? I have a slightly different view. I am at 17K PQP and would need to get to 24K to maintain 1K into next year. Quite a ways off but my business will pay for it and I personally see 1K benefits. I do a lot of last minute flight changes, etc. and the 1K line + priority handling makes my travels much easier. I also used PP this year round trip to Europe for my family of 4. I know that is pure luck, but we received several thousand dollars of value. I would seriously CONSIDER most offers to maintain 1K.
Do buy-ups get the PlusPonts?
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:56 pm

I believe you get all the tiered benefits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.