Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Denied for LAX-IAH UAL Flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
Mileage Denied for LAX-IAH UAL Flight

Fare Class G ticket, purchased online via United.com.

The mileage was never credited to me, so I requested the credit via United.com. I received this response:United Airlines

Houston, TX, US (IAH - Intercontinental)

Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)

"Denied.
The ticket number you entered is for travel that is not eligible for MileagePlus mileage credit or Premier® qualifying credit."

I checked fare class G, and it is supposed to be good for 25% of the mileage.

I am 1K, if that helps.

So, why no credit for this flight?
Kmxu likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Explorer8939
If you purchased it directly from United, it should earn based upon spending; the distance is irrelevant.

The only tickets that don't allow earnings are certain bulk tickets which will clearly expose that fact, or industry / special discount tickets. Corporate and government discounted tickets still earn, though.

Call the MileagePlus Service Center directly and you should hopefully be able to get a better response. It's weird that it would deny credit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
And for clarity, was it purchased on united.com or did you click through to united "packages" and ultimately purchase there?
Steve M and jsloan like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
And for clarity, was it purchased on united.com or did you click through to united "packages" and ultimately purchase there?
That's what came to my mind as well. If that ends up being the issue, that may be the unfortunate answer. Separately, if that is the case, that seems very poor form for United to sell packages on united.com that include United airfare but don't earn United miles.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 2:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Steve M
..., that seems very poor form for United to sell packages on united.com that include United airfare ....
Realizing UA Vacations is not an United Airlines owned entity (and you're not purchasing from UA)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I purchased it on the United.com site from the main page "book with money". No package, just a normal round trip ticket as I have done dozens of times before.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:19 pm

I purchased it on the United.com site from the main page "book with money". No package, just a normal round trip ticket as I have done dozens of times before.
hmmmm.....

And nothing goofy occured?
  • Just off the top of my head:
  • Ticket/MP Account Name Match
  • IRROPS
  • Code share (unlikely since it was IAH-LAX but just covering all bases)
  • Direct flight vs non stop (any connection involved that carried same flight number?)
  • Did you use come sort of discount code or coupon?

Not doubting you, just trying to cover all the bases.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Realizing UA Vacations is not an United Airlines owned entity (and you're not purchasing from UA)
I'm not sure why anyone would realize that clicking through from 'United.com' to 'United Vacations' means you are not doing business with United, unless there's some banner or something warning you.

Yes, read the fine print of course, but a UA Vacations link from the United site certainly sounds like United to just about anyone.

(I don't do these package things after a bad experience with AA Vacations 20+ years ago, but I honestly had no idea UA vacations wasn't United)
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:32 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
I honestly had no idea UA vacations wasn't United)
About United Vacations | United Vacations

"United Vacations is the full-service vacation brand of United Airlines® and is operated by ALG Vacations Corp. ALG Vacations Corp. is a part of the Hyatt Hotels Corporation, and has been fulfilling millions of vacation dreams with unparalleled customer care and at exceptional value for over 40 years."
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure why anyone would realize that clicking through from 'United.com' to 'United Vacations' means you are not doing business with United, unless there's some banner or something warning you.

Yes, read the fine print of course, but a UA Vacations link from the United site certainly sounds like United to just about anyone.

(I don't do these package things after a bad experience with AA Vacations 20+ years ago, but I honestly had no idea UA vacations wasn't United)
doesnt matter what it ‘sounds like’ - just what it is. Maybe not obvious to some, United Vacations has nothing to do with United really, and is just a travel company that licenses the United name for marketing purposes and sells the packages using [primarily] United flights. Works the same way with other ‘vacations’ brands - Delta Vacations, etc.

to be fair, United Vacations sells both published fares, which would earn the same mileage as tickets bought from UA.com, or unpublished (or Bulk) fares where the earning structure is different. It does say (I think) what type of fare you are buying per-purchase.

but I suppose that’s off-topic. Yes, seems like a call to the MP service center is in order. If bought on United.com, you are due the mileage, unless there is something ‘off’ between the ticket and the FF account, like a name mismatch (and middle initial vs. full middle name would do that). Though in my experience, and going back to the old days where you earned strictly based on mileage, I can’t remember having an error with crediting on a plain vanilla regular ticket bought on UA.com for UA flights. On very seldom with partner flights, or sometimes with IRROPs, yes (and sometimes, those IRROPS errors were in the pax favor).
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

It isn't United
Experience with United Vacations .
ALG Vacations Corp is a Hyatt company and does Southwest Vacations also.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
is that the automated response? I'd write UPMP and get it corrected. Something must be corrupted since this is a pretty easy retro-credit. ... usually
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 10:54 pm

IMhO, it’s not fine print, it’s literally posted at multiple points thru the booking process (I did a dummy booking after the OP posted, I saw no less the 10 significant mentions your booking via Priceline.

other side note: sorry to nitpick, it’s not been united vacations for a little while. It’s United Packages
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:09 pm

Programs: Asia Miles Korean Air Skypass Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Miles
Call the Mileage Plus customer service number that way you have a better reply than an automated system. My mother used a Cathay Pacific Oneworld Alliance customer hotline
Old Dec 13, 2023, 7:06 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Does the name of the ticket match the account name? Also, was your MileagePlus number in the reservation?

Either way, a call to the MileagePlus Service Center would either resolve the issue, or give you the reason why the flight was not eligible, instead of us speculating.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.