Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United.com - We don't recognize this device

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb

I looked for and couldn't find a thread on the website, please move as needed. I found this thread which is closed and suggests posting in the App thread, but I don't have this problem in the App.

On a Mac, with Chrome, I get the 'We don't recognize this device' every time I log in. I have cleared cookies and browser history multiple times, restarted Chrome, and restarted the computer. I do not have the same problem with Safari, I do not have the same problem on the App. They let me log in with user name and password.

I think it started when I logged in once to my wife's account.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
I looked for and couldn't find a thread on the website, please move as needed. I found this thread which is closed and suggests posting in the App thread, but I don't have this problem in the App.

On a Mac, with Chrome, I get the 'We don't recognize this device' every time I log in. I have cleared cookies and browser history multiple times, restarted Chrome, and restarted the computer. I do not have the same problem with Safari, I do not have the same problem on the App. They let me log in with user name and password.

I think it started when I logged in once to my wife's account.
If your cookies are cleared prior to each login, then you would have to go through the process every time. Websites use cookies to "remember" the inputs, among other uses , so certain info would not have to be re-initiated.

Also, if you use incognito, then also you would be prompted.
THR and gene2632 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
This “we don’t recognize” nonsense is getting out of hand. I have accounts where a password, phone text, and additional verification still don’t let me in. I’ve had this problem on United as well and the last time it happened it took 7 attempts over 3 browsers.
tcdtcd, GreenTrees, Kannai and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If your cookies are cleared prior to each login, then you would have to go through the process every time. Websites use cookies to "remember" the inputs, among other uses , so certain info would not have to be re-initiated.

Also, if you use incognito, then also you would be prompted.
To be clear here is the sequence:
  • Clear cookies, cache, history - reboot
  • Login
  • Get 'We don't recognize" (expected)
  • Logout - or timeout
  • Login again
  • Get 'We don't recognize" again (unexpected, and never happened before I logged in to my wife's account on the same browser.
Also Safari still works as Chrome used to, all of the above, except the last step is replaced by being logged in to my account.

Edited to add: This is not in Incognito or Private mode.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:14 pm

I have this issue on both my mac and my PC, so I don't think it's a mac exclusive issue. I assumed it had something to with my company's IT doing something to my Chrome to prevent certain cookies from being installed.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
To be clear here is the sequence:
  • Clear cookies, cache, history - reboot
  • Login
  • Get 'We don't recognize" (expected)
  • Logout - or timeout
  • Login again
  • Get 'We don't recognize" again (unexpected, and never happened before I logged in to my wife's account on the same browser.
Also Safari still works as Chrome used to, all of the above, except the last step is replaced by being logged in to my account.

Edited to add: This is not in Incognito or Private mode.
Apple has incorporated technology to help prevent tracking through browsers. I think this is a fallout from that and, yes, I get the "don't recognize" stuff as well.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Third party Adblocking extensions can interfere as well. This was/is my problem on my Macbook.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
This just happened out of the blue on both my mac and PC. Pretty clearly a United thing and not a user thing.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:09 pm

It’s happening pretty regularly the last few days in the Safari browser on my iPad. I sort of assumed it was because we were in Spain, but it will not keep me logged in at all, and it never recognizes the device.

Try turning off MAC randomization on your MacOS Device and see if the issue goes away.
https://support.apple.com/guide/secu...cb9cb3140c/web
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:28 pm

This has happened on United.com on my mac using Chrome every time I've logged in for about a month. I thought it was just me. I have no ad blockers and am not having this issue on any other sites as far as I've noticed.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Firefox here, no issues.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: 1K, Diamond
Same issue here on Chrome, not incognito and not clearing cookies. And because I'm sure it would be a tech support checklist item: everything is running on the current versions. Funny enough never an issue logging into my PassPlus account.
Thankfully I know all of the answers for everyone in the family.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Good suggestions and I'm at least happy to know I'm not the only one. FWIW, the MAC Randomization turn off didn't work. I suspected it wouldn't for two reasons: First, everything works as advertised on Safari. Second, Mac Randomization kicks in when you reacquire an IP address from your network and this was happening more often than that. Worth a shot though.

For now I will switch to Safari for my United surfing needs. I only default to Chrome because my company shares documents on the Google platform and the only way to get full functionality (such as offline editing on the RARE occasion that United WiFi isn't keeping up) from Google Workspace on a Mac is Chrome.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:03 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
While the described issue here is an annoyance, I am more troubled by United's thinking that if 2 multiple choice questions didn't reassure them who I am, presenting a 3rd question about my favorite ice cream on yet another screen somehow resolves the uncertainty for them.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
Firefox here, no issues.
Same here, mostly. I get the message maybe twice a year, usually after a Firefox update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.