Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting AMM to UA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2023, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Transiting AMM to UA

Seeking travel/transit advice from colleagues and didn’t see where this had been covered elsewhere.

I need to get to CUN as early as possible on Jan 18 originating in DXB and trying to stay on UAL.

Taking the DXB-EWR flight forces me to connect in ORD a la: DXB-EWR-ORD-CUN arriving 8:45pm local time in CUN. MCT’s at ewr don’t allow for any direct flights with dxb arrival.

I’ve thought about booking this with hopes that dxb-ewr gets in early enough to change connection to ewr-cun direct. (Polaris, No checked bags, global entry, UAL Global Services etc). That said, the winter winds seem to be kicking in and while maybe possible the odds aren’t in my favor. Oh and then there’s seat availability…

I’m also looking at the potential of DXB-EWR-IAD-CUN arr 5:20pm which also isn’t allowed due to MCT but where the layover is a bit more favorable in EWR. Still close and dependent on seat availability. Not great.

Finally and maybe more possible I’m looking at DXB-AMM-IAD-CUN. The AMM-IAD-CUN is very doable/bookable. The DXB-AMM leg would be on flydubai with 3 hour layover to connect to UAL flight.

My question for this group;
  1. any thoughts/concerns on transiting AMM? It looks straightforward enough with research I’ve done. Normally visa required for Americans in Jordan but only if leaving airside and it looks like I wouldn’t have to going from fludubai to United.
  2. Anybody else think the dxb-ewr early arrival to ewr-cun direct is more doable than I?
  3. Any alternative connections others would suggest? (Staying on United metal as much as possible?)

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Raven139AS
Normally visa required for Americans in Jordan but only if leaving airside and it looks like I wouldn’t have to going from fludubai to United.
Been a while since I was in Jordan, but I didn't remember anything complicated for the visa. Just looked it up and looks like you can do an e-visa online or a visa on arrival. Just wanted to mention that so you didn't worry about that in your calculus. 3 hour layover in AMM would seem doable even in a worst case scenario, though it kind of defeats the purpose of you trying to turn your 3 flights into 2 flights. But maybe the arrival time in CUN is still earlier which is what you're trying to accomplish.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Anybody else think the dxb-ewr early arrival to ewr-cun direct is more doable than I?
No, especially since it's UA's last EWR-CUN of the day.

Any alternative connections others would suggest? (Staying on United metal as much as possible?)
I don't see anything better than AMM that is primarily on UA... *A is easier, but that doesn't get you GS qualification. AC via YYZ gets you in at 1pm in one stop. TK via IST/MEX gets you in at 8am or 1pm. MS/UA via CAI/IAD gets you in at noon, but I wouldn't fly MS.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.