Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anything to do with 10 leftover PlusPoints?

Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold

Looks like my year will likely end with 10 leftover PlusPoints. Is there anything useful I can do with those?

Seems there is nothing to accomplish with 10 PlusPoints, but would love to know if there is a way I hadn't heard of.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earn 20 more and then redeem a 30 point upgrade
LimeySD likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Looks like my year will likely end with 10 leftover PlusPoints. Is there anything useful I can do with those?

Seems there is nothing to accomplish with 10 PlusPoints, but would love to know if there is a way I hadn't heard of.
upgrade from O to J on a domestic flight
econ, SPN Lifer, EWR764 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Transcon R fares (EWR-LAX/SFO) can be fairly reasonable, around $400ow, and the 10 PP upgrade to a Polaris seat, with better priority than a Y/C fare, is one of the better deals in the system.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Looks like my year will likely end with 10 leftover PlusPoints.
(bolding mine)

They [most likely] won't expire until January 31, 2024, so you have some time.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by EWR764
Transcon R fares (EWR-LAX/SFO) can be fairly reasonable, around $400ow, and the 10 PP upgrade to a Polaris seat, with better priority than a Y/C fare, is one of the better deals in the system.
Chance of upgrading to Polaris on a Transcon is about ~0%. If you don't have any PP for next year, and you planned to book R anyways, I guess it's worth a shot. Maybe if you fly offpeak.
If there are PP for next year available, it's a much higher likelhood of success using it in conjuction with next year's PP on ANY other flight (including intl) prior to Jan 31.
Or if you know someone else flying transcon R, gift it to them.

Assuming they do the PP extension again, I'll be left with 10PP as well. Too bad we can't pool them
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Chance of upgrading to Polaris on a Transcon is about ~0%. If you don't have any PP for next year, and you planned to book R anyways, I guess it's worth a shot. Maybe if you fly offpeak.
The +P would expire in January, so travel date would definitely be off peak.

I have cleared multiple transcon flights from economy on G and K fares this year, with one flight everyone on the list except one cleared ex-SFO no less. Every flight is unique, and you just never know - day of the week, time of the day would also be factors, and if PE, definitely a leg up.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by eng3
If there are PP for next year available, it's a much higher likelhood of success using it in conjuction with next year's PP on ANY other flight (including intl) prior to Jan 31.
Or if you know someone else flying transcon R, gift it to them.

Assuming they do the PP extension again, I'll be left with 10PP as well. Too bad we can't pool them
I would not go so far as to say 0%... I fly the transcons almost weekly and there are certain flights on which I've cleared at a reasonable rate. EWR-LAX first flight in the AM and 7:30pm, redeyes LAX/SFO-EWR, depending on day of week, etc. SFO, IME, is tougher.

Nothing is easy, of course, with such inexpensive F fares, but I put odds a lot higher than 0% out of a PE fare unless, of course, one is trying to fly on the peak frequencies.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you can't think of anything, there is always this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...fers-only.html
EWR764 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
These are all great ideas! Looking at my flight tracking spreadsheet (I'm sure many of you have one too), it turns out I will earn an extra 20 pp, and many of these ideas would make sense. January will be an interesting travel month for me both professionally and personally, so definitely a few of these options will present themselves before the end of the month when they expire. Thanks!!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

They [most likely] won't expire until January 31, 2024, so you have some time.
Or even April if they get a grace extension.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.