Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Implements New Rule To Protect Flight Attendants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2024, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
https://liveandletsfly.com/united-airlines-flight-attendants-jumpseat-rule
United Airlines is implementing a new rule for flight attendants that will lead to cabins being prepared for landing earlier than at present in an effort to protect them from injury from turbulence.

... Thus, starting next month flight attendants will more quickly clean and secure the cabins at the top of the descent. A pilot will say, “Flight attendants, please prepare the cabin for landing” above 10,000 feet, giving flight attendants time to make final cabin preparation in order to be strapped into their jumpseats ahead of the double chime.
/
Originally Posted by LarryJ
My vacation ended, and I'm back at one. (It's okay, I'm sitting on my balcony on a nice, Caribbean island). I talked to my cabin crew today and got an update on their procedure.

The initial bulletin to the F/As had wording which caused some confusion. It has been revised.

Initially, many F/As understood that they were to do the new combined Initial/Final announcement and cabin preparations when the seatbelt sign came on for the final time. That has since been clarified that it is to be done when the pilot makes the "prepare the cabin for arrival" announcement.

On the 737, I do that approximately five minutes before the 10,000' double-chime, all else being equal. The goal is for all cabin preparations to be complete by the 10,000' double-chime.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

I can see FA's loving this new policy..... here's to shutting down service 90 minutes out!

United Airlines is implementing a new rule for flight attendants that will lead to cabins being prepared for landing earlier than at present in an effort to protect them from injury from turbulence.

... Thus, starting next month flight attendants will more quickly clean and secure the cabins at the top of the descent. A pilot will say, “Flight attendants, please prepare the cabin for landing” above 10,000 feet, giving flight attendants time to make final cabin preparation in order to be strapped into their jumpseats ahead of the double chime.

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...jumpseat-rule/

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 16, 2023 at 9:20 pm Reason: snipnet as required by FT rules
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Isn't single chime 35-40 minutes out? Still, on a lot of domestic routes, that a sizable chunk, when added to the climb to 10k.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 16, 2023 at 8:53 pm
Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
is this a time or altitude based rule change - although, they are probably closely related.
given a lot of the turbulence that I have been experiencing lately - especially in/out of DEN - hard to argue that this is a bad thing?

while we all seem to applaud the service that starts right away - it does seem like the FA are often fighting with their carts against the rollercoaster rides that are often during take off or landing.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:02 pm

The early cabin preparations with 45 min still left in flight are super inconvenient from a passenger standpoint, especially when trying to get work done. Is this really for safety, or just another excuse to provide even less service? On flights the distance of say ORD-CLE, flight attendants might not even get up at this point.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
What does this rule mean for flights that never even get to 10000ft?
J_Stroming likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zeus2120
just another excuse to provide even less service?
You answered your own question. The safety claim is nonsense, it’s a service cut pure and simple. Worse, it dramatically cuts rest time on redeye flights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 17, 2023 at 8:11 am Reason: stick to the UA issue
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
You answered your own question. The safety claim is nonsense, it’s a service cut pure and simple. Worse, it dramatically cuts rest time on redeye flights.
I feel that the real purpose of UA's policy change is to reduce costs, because it will mean the end of inflight service on most flights shorter than 1 1/2 hours; there's no way flight attendants can provide a beverage service and clean the cabin before beginning of descent on flights like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 17, 2023 at 8:13 am Reason: removed response to deleted content
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Very conflicted about this change -- and extremely doubtful that the stated reason published is the real reason.... And I don't for a second believe that UA suddenly cares more about FA safety than every other major airline in the world...

On the one hand I am happy that our arrival meals on our monthly back and forth to Tokyo won't be so rushed in the last hour -- but if you take UA on their word that FA safety is the ultimate reason then why would any FA ever be allowed to be up and about? Yes that is taking things to a ridiculous degree but I haven't seen any news reports of an increase in FA injuries below (or above) 10k feet -- has anyone else? Sure I can agree it IS safer -- so would never having the FA's leave their seats -- but since when does the 0.0001% example set the rule in the real world?

Seems to me that Pilot judgment is being taken away corporately now -- but for what reason?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:36 am

From the linked article:

"Flight attendants have sustained significant injuries in the final approach phase of flight, and data indicates a higher risk when they are not buckled in at this point. Simply put, it’s not safe to be up."
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:47 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by narvik
What does this rule mean for flights that never even get to 10000ft?
Even something as short as ORD-MSN, which is like a 30 minute (or less?) flight, gets up to 16,000 feet.

Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:54 am

From the linked article:

"Flight attendants have sustained significant injuries in the final approach phase of flight, and data indicates a higher risk when they are not buckled in at this point. Simply put, it’s not safe to be up."
Totally get this -- but it doesn't make any logical sense - of course it is ALWAYS safer to be 100% buckled up in flight -- but what has suddenly changed after the past 20 years of data -- or was UA just ignoring it? FA's have also sustained significant injuries in most if not all areas of flight over the years -- so why the change and why now?

I seriously doubt that there is suddenly new data / significant weather changes that clearly justify this change -- just wondering what the real reason might be? Also -- if this really is the real reason -- why isn't it immediate?
jpezaris, rch4u, seanp7 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Totally get this -- but it doesn't make any logical sense - of course it is ALWAYS safer to be 100% buckled up in flight -- but what has suddenly changed after the past 20 years of data -- or was UA just ignoring it? FA's have also sustained significant injuries in most if not all areas of flight over the years -- so why the change and why now?

I seriously doubt that there is suddenly new data / significant weather changes that clearly justify this change -- just wondering what the real reason might be? Also -- if this really is the real reason -- why isn't it immediate?

Although the injuries and illnesses for FAs are indeed much higher than average, the relevant issue is likely in RED (Falls, slips, trips) and doesn't seem to show an increase over the last few years. It could also involve YELLOW (Contact with objects and equipment) though.
This is from US Bureau of Labor Statistics:

bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:50 am

The real data clearly doesn't support this new change -- and let's be honest - if UA really believes that employee safety is job number one -- maybe they should consider not staffing EVERY flight they have at FAA minimum -- adding back that FA on long haul flights -- would also make providing service for everyone that much safer... Hmm.....

Something tells me UA would rather have their people sit than add employees / move things back what they use to provide - it's cheaper than actually really caring about employee safety.... UA really messed this one up IMHO....
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
From the linked article:

Inside the FAF, yes, FA should absolutely be seated.

At TOD you're a loooooong way from the FAF.
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just going to be a lot more "The captain has asked the flight attendants to remain in their seats for the duration of the flight due to turbulence." Yet there's not a bump to be found except on the horribly maintained runways.

This is going to lead to a lot more blabber from the FAs over the speaker system which I already hate.

I'm all for FA and passenger safety, don't get me wrong. I'm not for less service over a perceived issue when it's somewhat rare to hear about FAs being injured on planes, especially when it wasn't their fault as they are too busy yapping up front and not listening to the dings. I could print money for how many times I've heard or seen an FA running up or down the aisle saying, "Damn, didn't realize we were that close to landing," trying to get into their jump seat before we touch ground.

-RM
Silver Fox, United747 and FlyingM like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.