Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Here are links to spreadsheets from years past. Unfortunately I was not able to find the links for 2019, 2021 and 2022. If anyone has them, please post. This might be useful to look back at historical spends needed to qualify for GS:
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moved the links plus 2019 to the wiki

Believe as 2021 and 2022 were blank extensions, not spreadsheets were created for those years

Print Wikipost

GS 2024 Qualifications …. Any guesses?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

GS 2024 Qualifications …. Any guesses?

So far this year, I've reached 1K via 24K PQP. Mainly doing EWR-SFO transcontinental in paid J, with a couple C or D fares, averaging at about $1250 a segment (thanks to the corporate fare). I should be able to reach around 50-60K by the end of the year mainly traveling the same route. Now the question I have been asking myself is if I should keep on flying United to try and get to Global Services. I won't have any J fare international plans, apart from one personal trip in economy to LHR. Looking at the data from last year there have been people with 40K getting GS, averaging $2K+ a segment and others with 95K PQP, but averaging $1500 a segment and not getting GS.

Now that I'm 1K and don't care as much for the first class upgrades on domestic routes when traveling personally as I rarely do so the miles and PQP don't mean much to me this year. I'm considering whether I should keep staying loyal to United to potentially get GS next year. The alternative is to fly JFK-SFO via Delta, which I prefer and I already am Diamond.

Anyone have any takes on whether I should take the gamble for GS, even though previous data points are not in my favor?
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
So far this year, I've reached 1K via 24K PQP. Mainly doing EWR-SFO transcontinental in paid J, with a couple C or D fares, averaging at about $1250 a segment (thanks to the corporate fare). I should be able to reach around 50-60K by the end of the year mainly traveling the same route. Now the question I have been asking myself is if I should keep on flying United to try and get to Global Services. I won't have any J fare international plans, apart from one personal trip in economy to LHR. Looking at the data from last year there have been people with 40K getting GS, averaging $2K+ a segment and others with 95K PQP, but averaging $1500 a segment and not getting GS.

Now that I'm 1K and don't care as much for the first class upgrades on domestic routes when traveling personally as I rarely do so the miles and PQP don't mean much to me this year. I'm considering whether I should keep staying loyal to United to potentially get GS next year. The alternative is to fly JFK-SFO via Delta, which I prefer and I already am Diamond.

Anyone have any takes on whether I should take the gamble for GS, even though previous data points are not in my favor?
What benefits as a GS would you not already have as someone who's already 1K and buying seats upfront? If you're getting better service on DL, I'd put my flying there.

David
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
What benefits as a GS would you not already have as someone who's already 1K and buying seats upfront? If you're getting better service on DL, I'd put my flying there.

David
So next year I plan to fly internationally a lot more for personal travel. And I buy a lot of Y tickets for personal travel so the biggest one for me is being able to get higher on the waitlist for upgrades. But then on the other hand if I make Diamond again, I’ll get another 4 GUC’s. Just that I’ll be behind PP.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on this year qualifying data points, seems like one time popping up to 50-60k PQP doesn't automatically pull a GS invite. I think most of the 40k PQP you saw would have been requalifiers.

So I wouldn't take a flyer pushing that extra spend to UA hoping for GS. The only reason would be if it is otherwise fitting your needs (schedule despite EWR vs JFK, seat, clearing extra +P, you love bad food and random surly service, etc).
DELee and Dyce like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 3:08 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Your travel patterns are very similar to mine. Granted I’ve been GS since 2015, so I’m a requal. Generally do somewhere between $45-55k the vast majority of which are transcon paid first. If you’re into the $50k’s I think there’s a pretty high likelihood you get it. If you’re purchasing upfront the only benefit over 1k is the GS lobby at a few airports (actually does make a large difference at SFO when it’s busy), boarding ahead of most (if that matters to you) and your first choice of food that has gone dramatically downhill. Yes, sometimes GS will proactively get you out of a jam when it comes to delays, tight connections etc but it’s a coin flip and a shadow of the proactive service it once was.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
Your travel patterns are very similar to mine. Granted I’ve been GS since 2015, so I’m a requal. Generally do somewhere between $45-55k the vast majority of which are transcon paid first. If you’re into the $50k’s I think there’s a pretty high likelihood you get it. If you’re purchasing upfront the only benefit over 1k is the GS lobby at a few airports (actually does make a large difference at SFO when it’s busy), boarding ahead of most (if that matters to you) and your first choice of food that has gone dramatically downhill. Yes, sometimes GS will proactively get you out of a jam when it comes to delays, tight connections etc but it’s a coin flip and a shadow of the proactive service it once was.
Another benefit if you are GS by always buying upfront - being the upgrade fairy for family and friends. Remember they get GS status when you use PlusPoints and access to PN. So I’ve created a lot of goodwill amongst my family and friends since making GS as they have cleared most PP I’ve sponsored both domestically and internationally.

I’ve only had once IRROPS experience since being GS and there was no proactive treatment at all. Now, I think I failed by running around EWR rather than calling the GS line or checking the app for rebooking myself. But no one was looking out for me. Will give it time.
affyceo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I don’t think you can ask a December question in April. Three years ago exactly we had no idea the remaining 8 months of that year would turn out, or the year after, and so on.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
So next year I plan to fly internationally a lot more for personal travel. And I buy a lot of Y tickets for personal travel so the biggest one for me is being able to get higher on the waitlist for upgrades. But then on the other hand if I make Diamond again, I’ll get another 4 GUC’s. Just that I’ll be behind PP.
Assuming you obtain GS status, here are some benefits over Delta Diamond. It has been about 10 years ago when I was a Delta Diamond, so I am not sure of all the changes to their program.

* If you have flown 1 million miles with United, you can gift your Global Service status to a spouse, family member, friend, colleague, or even a random Flyertalk member .. While you may not need GS status to upgrade your domestic travel, someone else you know who does fly domestically would be very grateful for the GS status.

* More upgrades (UA Plus Points vs. DL GUC). If you obtain 50,000 PQP, I calculate you will receive 560 Plus Points. You will receive 280 for qualifying + 280 additional PP (20 PP per 3k PQP after 18k PQP). With 560 Plus Points = 14 one way upgrades. This is at 40 PP per upgrade (Standard non discounted economy, W fare or higher). If your international travel is in Discounted Economy this will require 80 PP per upgrade.

* United Miles vs. Delta Sky Pesos. A quick review of UA vs DL lowest mileage awards for May (one way). LHR (UA 30k vs DL 66k). CDG (UA 30k vs.DL 58k), AMS (UA 30k vs.DL 76k). Assuming 50,000 PQP gives you about 550,000 Mileage Plus miles, you can save money (i.e. thousands of dollars) by booking your future international travel with UA Mileage Plus award tickets (see below). .

* GS Plus Ponts status carry over. If you are traveling with a companion (or more), your GS PP will carry over to their reservation. Thus, a companion with no status has a good/excellent chance of being upgraded, with your GS PP. I don't know with DL GUC if your Diamond status carrys over to a non/lower status companion(s).

* United Award tickets are considered to be Standard Economy and you only need 40 PP to upgrade. Again with 560 PP, this translates to 14 upgrades. I believe you cannot use a DL GUC on an award ticket. A major benefit of UA GS is that you can upgrade award tickets. Last year, during United's Cyber Monday promotion, they discounted international award travel to certain regions by 50%. I was able to fly round trip to SIN for 40k miles and upgrade with 80 PP, same to FRA for 30k miles + 80 PP.

As a GS for about 5-6 years, the only misses have ironically been domestic (to/from Hawaii). I've noteced that United's revenue management system seems to keep a minimum of 2 to 3 business seats open until the day of travel. If there are 4 Business seats still open at 72 hours before the flight, you may be able to push through your upgrade (if you are first on the list). I've been able to do this on several flights.

Hope this is helpful.
SPN Lifer, uanj, kittiyut and 2 others like this.

Last edited by PBAudit; Apr 16, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:01 am

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
Hi all; is there a new Global Service qualification for 2024? I am mid year and counting all ... I am again over 82k PQP...
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by cbono
Hi all; is there a new Global Service qualification for 2024? I am mid year and counting all ... I am again over 82k PQP...
There's never been a published criteria, and that hasn't changed. Remember PQP doesn't count....it's PQP on United/Express metal ONLY.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
GS

GS is well worth especially if a flight gets canceled when you’re out of the country. Keep flying UA
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
There's never been a published criteria, and that hasn't changed. Remember PQP doesn't count....it's PQP on United/Express metal ONLY.
Allegedly.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by st530
Allegedly.
From what I've read here multiple times it is not alleged; they only consider UA metal. I've also posted my own rejection letter from years back where it said 'United flights'.

Last edited by AugustusM; Aug 14, 2023 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by AugustusM
From what I've read here multiple times it is not alleged; they only consider UA metal. I've also posted my own rejection letter from years back where it said 'United flights'.
No one knows with certainty. They’re unpublished criteria. A form rejection letter from years ago doesn’t tell us much. It’s all speculation. Personally I’ve always been skeptical that, say, an 016 round-trip IAH-FRA-IAH full J itinerary purchased on UA metal two months in advance, that gets swapped out last-minute on the return to LH metal, gets selectively excluded from GS qualification. Maybe it does. But no one knows.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by st530
No one knows with certainty. They’re unpublished criteria. A form rejection letter from years ago doesn’t tell us much. It’s all speculation. Personally I’ve always been skeptical that, say, an 016 round-trip IAH-FRA-IAH full J itinerary purchased on UA metal two months in advance, that gets swapped out last-minute on the return to LH metal, gets selectively excluded from GS qualification. Maybe it does. But no one knows.
Mine was not the only letter and it was worded differently than others that was posted but was clear that it was United flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.