Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1846 EWR-SLC 29 Oct 2023 Mechanical Diversion to IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat

First ever mechanical diversion after 1M+ miles on United.

Was on 1846 last night EWL-SLC. We were next in line for take-off when we pulled into the "line up & wait" position, but then taxied to the first turn-off and sat for 20 minutes while the crew "did some paperwork for a mechanical issue."

Was listening to LiveATC but never heard the exact issue. Eventually they said good to go and we uneventfully took off.

~30 minutes in the captain announced that we were diverting to IAD for a mechanical issue. "It's not really something we can continue with across country." I still never heard the exact issue over ATC.

Landed ~20 minutes later uneventfully but there was a full complement of emergency vehicles (at least half a dozen) with full red lights cranking just off the runway. As soon as we slowed to a stop they circled the plane.

Taxied to the gate. Deplaned and was informed we'd be switching to a new aircraft. Boarded a just landed inbound flight about 2 hours later with a brand-new crew.

Everything was handled smoothly & competently, and having a full backup crew ready to go prob saved us a night.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...a1846#32a2654e
goodeats21 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by msg75
First ever mechanical diversion after 1M+ miles on United.
You may want to play the lottery, that's some luck for this to be your first mechanical diversion!

Originally Posted by msg75
Everything was handled smoothly & competently, and having a full backup crew ready to go prob saved us a night.
Great outcome. Only a two hour delay on a mechanical diversion that required a new plane and crew. Maybe I need you to buy me a lottery ticket too!

I'm glad it worked out so well overall.
msg75 and Xyzzy like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ty97
You may want to play the lottery, that's some luck for this to be your first mechanical diversion!

Great outcome. Only a two hour delay on a mechanical diversion that required a new plane and crew. Maybe I need you to buy me a lottery ticket too!

I am at 1.5 million on United and can't recall a single mechanical diversion. Several for weather, but never mechanical.

Not sure that would correlate to lottery winning, but I am willing to try!
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am at 1.5 million on United and can't recall a single mechanical diversion. Several for weather, but never mechanical.

I've been flying for over 30 years with 1.6MM on the 3 US majors, and I've never experienced a mechanical diversion.
goodeats21 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97

Originally Posted by goodeats21

Originally Posted by halls120
I've been flying for over 30 years with 1.6MM on the 3 US majors, and I've never experienced a mechanical diversion.
I've also not had a mx diversion ever, although I think I came close once, in which our E145 gear was stuck down after takeoff. Apparently pilots got the OK to finish our 750 mile trip that way. And make it we did, 1.5 hours late, causing me to be rather sweaty upon boarding my connection. But not a diversion!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.