Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Physically Injured on a UA flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think UA insulted the OP with the 7500 miles. Minimally this should have been 50k miles or a $500 voucher offered on their own as a good will gesture. AA gives 10k miles for an inoperable TV.

Last edited by nk15; Nov 1, 2023 at 11:25 pm
Old Nov 2, 2023, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
To nk15 - I agree.
After being asked to wait on board to be examined, it turned out that the Captain was impatient and wanted to get off the flight.
He glared at me from the galley while the local United reps. dealt with the situation.
If the Captain had any class, he would have come over and could have had a word to me, but he didn't.
He also did not allow the EMT to board and make an injury report because it would delay the crew's deplaning.
Finally, there was no offer by United for wheelchair assistance which IMHO would have been appropriate in this case to avoid the long walk to customs.

To Xyzzy - Thank for the clarification on SDR meaning.
I now have my medical exam report from a local Dr. and will write to United today regarding this incident.
Will report results if I am allowed to do.
I may have to deal with an NDA in the process.

Thank you to all other FTers who empathized with my situation.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2023 at 12:51 am Reason: Not going there
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
To the original poster (OP), luv2fly1st, and anyone else in a similar situation: Anything you post in this thread, or tell anyone else about such an incident, will be subject to "discovery" in any legal action you may undertake, and can be used against you in court.

This comment is intended solely for general legal educational purposes only and is not intended to be construed as legal advice -- which should be obtained from an attorney with the relevant substantive expertise and who is admitted in a relevant jurisdiction.

One factual question I would have is whether the OP had consumed any alcoholic beverages. Don't answer that here!
Xyzzy, st3 and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by luv2fly1st
To nk15 - I agree.
After being asked to wait on board to be examined, it turned out that the Captain was impatient and wanted to get off the flight.
He glared at me from the galley while the local United reps. dealt with the situation.
If the Captain had any class, he would have come over and could have had a word to me, but he didn't.
He also did not allow the EMT to board and make an injury report because it would delay the crew's deplaning.
Finally, there was no offer by United for wheelchair assistance which IMHO would have been appropriate in this case to avoid the long walk to customs.

I now have my medical exam report from a local Dr. and will write to United today regarding this incident.

So let me get this straight…

The “classless” Captain of which personally called, or was directly involved in the process of dispatching EMT’s on your behalf then somehow refuses aircraft access to those same professionals he/she just requested assistance from?
featheroleather likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm not sure how OP would prove that glasses were not on floor due to OP not putting them somewhere secure. Probably should leave spectacles out of complaint. If I'm not using my glasses, they're in my bag or somewhere secure like seat pocket or like.
agreed about the glasses. Or rather put them on the arm rest by the window so that they don’t fall into the aisle. As for 789 design, it’s puzzling that the legs stick out into the aisle. Eek.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
The most unbelievable part of this story is that the FAs were moving quickly .

OP I hope you heal quickly and properly, and get the resolution you seek.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Did you ask for a wheelchair yourself?
​​​​​​​
A valuable lesson worth learning early on, is that to achieve a more positive outcome from a bad situation, it is good to become one's own advocate, and not solely rely on others to do what might be best for you.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
To nk15 - I agree.

Going directly to United on this matter without legal representation is probably not the best, but if you decide to proceed and can disclose the result, please let us know.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ani90
from a medical perspective it is almost impossible for a limb to be severely swollen within an hour of injury.
That's just nonsense. I had an accident in my workshop earlier this year, the swelling started within five minutes, and within 15 minutes I would classify it as severe.
SPN Lifer, halls120 and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is the problem with UA and airlines in general, if they have offered a more decent compensation right away they could have closed this case, now it will be pursued further...
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerNJ
This is the problem with the world today. No one did this on purpose. Every accident isn’t a personal injury lawsuit. Life isn’t about winning the lawsuit lottery. That lawsuit, for your tiny cut and no actual “suffering,” will just cost the rest of us when United pays you out. I just don’t understand the impulse to sue sue sue.
Originally Posted by guv1976
If the injuries here are relatively minor, there might be no point in bringing a lawsuit. But if the OP sustains medical bills (for an exam? stitches? a tetanus shot?) should he (or his insurer) have to bear that cost?
If the OP isn't interested in compensation, it's easy to just use normal medical insurance and tell the caregivers what happened (assuming this is US based). They'll write the report up, the insurance carrier will read and review it and go to UA for subrogation if they feel it's appropriate. There are ways to handle this without suing so that the proper party is the one that pays. Plus, if there is a true design problem at UA that needs to be addressed, this documents it all properly with a paper trail. The OP can rightly focus on recovery and let the system take care of the rest.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
One factual question I would have is whether the OP had consumed any alcoholic beverages. Don't answer that here!
United likely knows the answer to this, and could be something they could use to disadvantage of OP (if the answer is yes)

Originally Posted by nk15
I think UA insulted the OP with the 7500 miles. Minimally this should have been 50k miles or a $500 voucher offered on their own as a good will gesture.
That probably reflects a disagreement between United and the OP on the stated account of events. If United seriously believed their crew had caused serious injury to a passenger then it would not be 7500 miles and no medical attention that would be their response. As stated above there are multiple sides to any story and the offer of 7500 miles clearly indicates that United isn't buying the OPs description of events.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's just nonsense. I had an accident in my workshop earlier this year, the swelling started within five minutes, and within 15 minutes I would classify it as severe.
I bet you that injury in the workshop was not someone bumping into your leg. Of course if one sustains blunt trauma or crush injury one will get immediate swelling due to hematoma and inflammation, but that is not what is described by OP. I bet also that after your injury you did not go to sleep for an hour as the OP described. I maintain that unless OP changes his description no medical expert will classify this as a severe injury - you don't have major injury and fall back to sleep for an hour, bleed for an hour, not request medical assistance, treat it with just an icepack, and walk off a plane unaided. The human body.doesnt work that way. Also if you didn't have to end up in hospital or see a doctor that day it is more likely to be at most a graze through the surface of the skin than a deeper injury. And then when one adds in the broken glasses, is the implication that the glasses somehow got damaged in the collision? Or could there be another plausible explanation proposed for the broken glasses and the cut on the leg that does not involve the FA? I am not by any means trivializing the OPs experience, but just stating the difficulties OP will have in convincing a third party with the narrative provided. Best to stick to the facts and minimize any assumptions (such as an FA walking fast which one can't tell if one was sleeping or a captain who is unhelpful because he wants to go home), distractions (such as broken glasses), or embellishments (like a leg that is bleeding for an hour).
SPN Lifer and physioprof like this.

Last edited by ani90; Nov 2, 2023 at 6:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.