Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United and Aer Lingus (EI) End Codeshare Effective October 27, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Looks like United and Aer Lingus (EI) are ending their codeshare agreement next week, Oct 27. Somewhat unfortunate for connections between LHR and DUB and ORK (Cork), as that was usually how I made my way to the island. I guess the only ways to get to Ireland on UA and Star Alliance will be through UA flights from EWR or IAD, or go well out of the way and connect from Germany or Switzerland.

Notice here: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2008-0176-0005

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
This sucks. I usually fly EI's A fare between UK and Ireland, and only UA provide miles; AS is 0%.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 1:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
That's too bad, though I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did seeing as EI has been owned by IAG for several years now. I was hoping to book the newly-announced DEN-DUB next year.

Perhaps this might drive UA to further ramp up Ireland service. UA announced SFO-DUB for summer 2020 but never flew; hopefully, they someday add that one.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This was inevitable but sad to see the option go.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Maybe hold out some hope? I don't fly EI so this doesn't affect me but:
1. The website doesn't say anything about ending the agreement as it comes to earning miles on EI flights. Although the letter to the DOT is dated yesterday so the website just might not be updated yet.
2. A codeshare agreement doesn't necessarily mean you still can't earn miles. It just means UA won't have codes on EI flights and vice versa.

Logical to think you won't be able to earn miles on EI flights but as of this moment that's not the case.

-RM
as219 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This was inevitable but sad to see the option go.
With BA deepening its relationship with EI (earning Avios more readily for EI flights, etc.) this was indeed inevitable. EI has to align operationally with IAG / OW and forsake this flirtation.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Would this have any effect on award tickets I just booked on EI flights ORD-DUB-VCE for Sept. 5 2024? I paid 88K MP points each for 2 J tickets. Would my tickets get cancelled or am I good to go?
This limits my options of trying to return from Venice after a cruise back to the US at a reasonable redemption rate. The 88K one way in J was unusually low.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
How long does it take for the award miles to hit your Mileage Plus balance after the flight ends? I understand there are no PQF/PQD accruals.

Last edited by jimdarcy; Jan 31, 2024 at 5:49 pm
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
How about this, has anyone booked/flown Aer Lingus in the last 2 months through United, therefore expecting an award miles accrual to your mileage plus account?

Last edited by jimdarcy; Feb 1, 2024 at 4:23 pm
Old Feb 1, 2024, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
How about this, has anyone booked/flown Aer Lingus in the last 2 months?
I flew them on an award ticket from AMS-DUB return at the end of December.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
I flew them on an award ticket from AMS-DUB return at the end of December.
Were you expecting to get any mileage plus credits from that flight?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Were you expecting to get any mileage plus credits from that flight?
No, I guess I misunderstood. But they did let me check a bag free.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
No, I guess I misunderstood. But they did let me check a bag free.
Nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.