Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Domestic US Basic economy flight - Star Alliance Gold card (SAS Eurobonus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold

Dear all,
I have trying to find the right answer in the jungle of United and Star Alliance website. On United it says no to lounge for example, but on Star alliance it says yes. I will be flying domestic between LAX and SFO on basic economy ticket. I will not have an international connecting flights the same day. I have SAS Eurobonus Gold card. What am i entitled?
1. Do i get United business check in?
2. Do i get to take one free cabin luggage? If yes, how strick are LAX with the weight and size?
3. Do I get to check in one luggage (23 kg)? If yes, how strick are LAX with the weight?
4. Dp i get fast track/security check?
5. Do i get lounge access? Which one do you guys recommend?
6. Do i get priority boarding?
7. i will be traveling with one someone who has SAS eurobonus silver. Is there a chance i can take that person with me through fast track/security check, lounge access and priority boarding?
8. How early before the flight do you recommend me to be at LAX?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before.
Sincerely,
SB
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA
It sounds like you are starting at LAX? Is this a round trip?
1. Yes, there are *G markers in the premier check in area
4. Yes, there is a *G security lane in the middle of the security area
5. Yes. You should use the T7 United Club. After coming up the stairs/escalators from security, head to the right.
6. Yes, group 1 I think?
7. Unsure about security, but you should be able to guest them in to the lounge and you can board together.
8. If this is your first time at LAX, probably try to arrive 2 hours before your flight. Of course, depending on where you are coming from and when, you may need to head out much earlier.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by angetenar
5. Yes. You should use the T7 United Club. After coming up the stairs/escalators from security, head to the right.
Do *G with another airline get UA club access without a same day international flight? I thought the answer was no.
JTPictureman likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by prometa
Do *G with another airline get UA club access without a same day international flight? I thought the answer was no.
Yes. Only UA Golds require an international flight.
SPN Lifer, N1120A, trooper and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Within *A, United is the only airline that blocks its own elites from lounge access and it's only when flying US domestic. AC *G can even use UA lounges on US domestic tickets. This is one of the reasons many on this board will go for *G status via another airline, not to mention others sometimes have far easier thresholds to hit (e.g. Aegean).

-RM
N1120A likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Within *A, United is the only airline that blocks its own elites from lounge access and it's only when flying US domestic. AC *G can even use UA lounges on US domestic tickets. This is one of the reasons many on this board will go for *G status via another airline, not to mention others sometimes have far easier thresholds to hit (e.g. Aegean).

-RM
But of course, those people also miss out on all of the benefits that United gives to their own members. So if you are US based and flying United domestically a significant amount and having to decide between UA gold and another *A programme, the choice between having to pay for UA club membership versus not getting the 32 kg bags, economy plus seats, and occasional upgrades is certainly something that one would need to calculate...
But if you are flying enough to actually get gold on united, and enough domestically where missing out on United Club access makes a difference, it seems like you probably have more to gain being a member of United's own programme. But to each their own I suppose...
jsloan and trooper like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Dear all,
I have trying to find the right answer in the jungle of United and Star Alliance website. On United it says no to lounge for example, but on Star alliance it says yes. I will be flying domestic between LAX and SFO on basic economy ticket. I will not have an international connecting flights the same day. I have SAS Eurobonus Gold card. What am i entitled?
2. Do i get to take one free cabin luggage? If yes, how strick are LAX with the weight and size?
3. Do I get to check in one luggage (23 kg)? If yes, how strick are LAX with the weight?
7. i will be traveling with one someone who has SAS eurobonus silver. Is there a chance i can take that person with me through fast track/security check, lounge access and priority boarding?

Sincerely,
SB
I'm almost certain the rules mirror that for a UA Premier, in which case:

1. Yes (whatever Star Alliance Gold uses)
2. Yes, and not very - similar to anywhere else in the US (there is no weight limit)
3. Yes, and fairly strict since it goes on a scale when checking in
4. Yes
5. Yes. The United Club at LAX is quite decent.
6. Yes.
7. If they are on the same reservation (PNR), then yes there should be no problem. Premier Access and boarding group should be automatic on the same PNR, and lounge access is one guest on the same flight regardless of same PNR.
8. 90 minutes is probably fine; if you specifically want time to check out the lounge and spend time there, you can aim for two hours. I usually arrive 50-60 minutes before departure, but I have TSA Pre (faster than simple Gold Track usually) and aim to walk from the curb to my seat without stopping.

I guess I would add if you're new to the LA area and arriving by car, allow additional time for LA traffic
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the answers !

SB
Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
The flipside is that UA is the only airline I can find in *A that markets E+ and offers it free to its elites, including domestically. Some would find that a decent trade-off for lounge access.
jsloan, trooper and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
But of course, those people also miss out on all of the benefits that United gives to their own members. So if you are US based and flying United domestically a significant amount and having to decide between UA gold and another *A programme, the choice between having to pay for UA club membership versus not getting the 32 kg bags, economy plus seats, and occasional upgrades is certainly something that one would need to calculate...
But if you are flying enough to actually get gold on united, and enough domestically where missing out on United Club access makes a difference, it seems like you probably have more to gain being a member of United's own programme. But to each their own I suppose...
Originally Posted by prestonh
The flipside is that UA is the only airline I can find in *A that markets E+ and offers it free to its elites, including domestically. Some would find that a decent trade-off for lounge access.
I was simply pointing out that there are people on FT that specifically seek out non-US based *G status via another *A airline.

Everyone has to make their own decision about which program works best for them. *G from another program can use United Clubs for domestic flights. UA elites (except GS now) can't. But of course there are plenty of perks for UA elites such as the ones you have both mentioned among many others.

-RM
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:43 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The answer is absolutely yes. Only United's own elites suffer that rule.

Sincerely,
SB
1) You check in at the area that says Premier Access.
2) US major carriers do not weigh carry on bags, ever. They MAY check them in a sizer, but that has waned since COVID. An IATA compliant roller will always for.
3) Your luggage will be weighed in imperial pounds. You get 50 pounds - 23 kg is about half a pound more than that, but they won't bother you. Usually they'll give you about 1-2 pounds leniency, but that's a lot of weight.
4) Yes. There are signs. Also says Premier Access.
5) Yes. At LAX, United's United Club is a very nice space. There is an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge one terminal over - better free booze, but otherwise inferior and a 10 minute or so walk.
6) Yes, you should.
7) Same PNR, they will get all the same benefits as you. Different PNR and they will get *S benefits.
8) Depends how much lounge time you want. When I was based at LAX, I rarely got to the airport less than 60 minutes or more than 90 minutes before my flight for a US domestic.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Mind I ask how long it would take to drive from Intercontinental hotel LA to LAX 08:30? Need also to return my Avis rented car.

SB
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mind I ask how long it would take to drive from Intercontinental hotel LA to LAX 08:30? Need also to return my Avis rented car.

SB
Los Angeles Downtown, or Los Angeles Century City? Day of the week?

If your flight is at 8:30, personally I would try to be at Avis between 6:30 and 7. (I'd fail, and end up stressing out the whole time and fast-walking to my gate, but I'd try. It could easily take 20 minutes after you arrive at Avis to get to UA at terminal 6.
SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If your flight is at 8:30, personally I would try to be at Avis between 6:30 and 7. (I'd fail, and end up stressing out the whole time and fast-walking to my gate, but I'd try. It could easily take 20 minutes after you arrive at Avis to get to UA at terminal 6.
It could easily take 45 minutes to get all the way around the loop to UA (which is T7/T8). Depending on the carrier I'm flying, I typically budget 30-60 minutes from car rental drop off to LAX security.

Los Angeles Downtown, or Los Angeles Century City?
I'd imagine downtown b/c Century City is closed.

Against the eastbound morning traffic flow, but I'd still budget an hour, less on a Saturday or Sunday.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Los Angeles Downtown, or Los Angeles Century City? Day of the week?

Originally Posted by Kacee
It could easily take 45 minutes to get all the way around the loop to UA (which is T7/T8). Depending on the carrier I'm flying, I typically budget 30-60 minutes from car rental drop off to LAX security.

I'd imagine downtown b/c Century City is closed.

Against the eastbound morning traffic flow, but I'd still budget an hour, less on a Saturday or Sunday.
Ironically, in both cases (Century City / DTLA) I'd say budget worst-case 1 hr weekday or 30 min weekend. But indeed, I guess it must be DTLA.

If it's a weekday and given there is lounge access, I think I'd just plan to leave hotel about 0730 instead, allowing a much lower-stress commute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.