Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer no longer offering *A award/upgrade inventory data/alerts? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer no longer offering *A award/upgrade inventory data/alerts? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Received this email about 20 minutes ago. Had a bunch of LH and UA awards set up, including a couple of test bookings that had been alerting me as recently as 24 hours ago. I now don’t see any of the star alliance partners listed as available on EF.

Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There's no such thing as "leaving ExpertFlyer". It's not like a club that airlines join. Star Alliance apparently decided they didn't want a third party undermining (in their opinion) their marketing operations.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and vicontt like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is probably related to the phantom availability issue being reported with respect to BR award space.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Ok, just award inventory, I was worried it was more than that
findark likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Drat, I was planning to subscribe to Expert Flyer to plan next year's travel. Will someone please update this thread if the issue gets resolved?
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There's no such thing as "leaving ExpertFlyer". It's not like a club that airlines join. Star Alliance apparently decided they didn't want a third party undermining (in their opinion) their marketing operations.
thanks I understand that

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is probably related to the phantom availability issue being reported with respect to BR award space.
this is helpful. Thanks
copperred likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 6, 2023 at 7:37 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:06 pm

Anyone have a good recommendation for an alternative website for Star alliance award alerts?
zoechow likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:17 pm

Interesting. I got email from Seat.Aero tonight about Air Canada sending them cease and desist order yesterday. They say it’s their intention to not comply and will happily see AC in court.

Wonder if this is part of broader coordinated clamp
down on these sites? 🧐
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
If they are just data scraping then it is just the airlines fault for poor data management.

If it's an api, then maybe they aren't charging enough? Or don't want to share.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
API = application programming interface

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/API
doug_999 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by prestonh
If they are just data scraping then it is just the airlines fault for poor data management.

If it's an api, then maybe they aren't charging enough? Or don't want to share.
can't speak for EF but seats.aero is a web scraper. Depending on how this legal battle goes, this might be the end of expert mode.
SPN Lifer and vicontt like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by purdue1015
Interesting. I got email from Seat.Aero tonight about Air Canada sending them cease and desist order yesterday. They say it’s their intention to not comply and will happily see AC in court.

down on these sites? 🧐
I wonder if EF was scraping Aeroplan for all its *A award data (since UA cut them off some time ago).
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wonder if EF was scraping Aeroplan for all its *A award data (since UA cut them off some time ago).
May be so. I hadn’t used EF really in a long while but recently was trying to find LH F space.

EF alerted me to a seat on FRA-MEX that I found to be bookable with miles on UA. It was a test so I set up a bunch of future flight for a few weeks from now when I will be in Europe, hoping to maybe grab one a few days before departure. Then got this today….

not trying to fight with people around terminology - I get it! Just trying to share some info and get feedback!
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by purdue1015

down on these sites? 🧐
Got the same email also got one from EF saying they are removing all *A partners as well. Now what's the difference when sites like KAYAK and others do the same thing scraping for prices and rewards? this.is not fair and hope EF fights it just like Seat.Aero plans to do.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by ramzz
Got the same email also got one from EF saying they are removing all *A partners as well. Now what's the difference when sites like KAYAK and others do the same thing scraping for prices and rewards? this.is not fair and hope EF fights it just like Seat.Aero plans to do.
Does kayak really do that? Those more legitimate sites pay for GDS access.

Less"legitimate" OTA like kiwi/skip lagged does it, got sued, and settled

https://skift.com/2021/08/04/southwe...-of-interests/

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/01/18/...-flights-cost/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.