Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SAS to leave Star Alliance. 31 August 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...

With today's announcement of AirFrance/KLM investing in SAS (and in the announcement news of them leaving Star Alliance), does anyone have any insight on how long SAS will remain in Star Alliance and (therefore) how long we can expect to earn UA miles/PQPs on SAS flights?

I bought a biz ticket on SAS for December (I know they are not a preferred partner/earnings not great), and assume I will be good, but just wanted to check.

I know it still has to be approved by regulators and even then it could still take time to wind down Star Alliance benefits (just look at Asiana, which is still in Star Alliance, despite being acquired by Korean).

https://thepointsguy.com/news/sas-sc...iance-skyteam/

Last edited by FoxFlyer; Oct 3, 2023 at 1:00 pm Reason: Added link to story
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
No big loss IMO
halls120, jd2000, mozilla and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
"As for Air France-KLM's stake, SAS said it would "continue to operate and serve its customers as usual throughout the implementation of the transaction," expected to come during the second quarter of 2024."

So I think you're quite safe, and I would expect anyone buying for anything near term not to have to worry.

The Korean Air/Asiana merger has been bogged down in antitrust reviews around the world.

This one could be too, though perhaps not as long. But when your press release says "In doing so Air France-KLM will strengthen its footprint in Scandinavian markets." I could see competition agencies taking an interest.
VRFast likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA EP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
With today's announcement of AirFrance/KLM investing in SAS (and in the announcement news of them leaving Star Alliance), does anyone have any insight on how long SAS will remain in Star Alliance and (therefore) how long we can expect to earn UA miles/PQPs on SAS flights?

I bought a biz ticket on SAS for December (I know they are not a preferred partner/earnings not great), and assume I will be good, but just wanted to check.

I know it still has to be approved by regulators and even then it could still take time to wind down Star Alliance benefits (just look at Asiana, which is still in Star Alliance, despite being acquired by Korean).

https://thepointsguy.com/news/sas-sc...iance-skyteam/
As per the press release:

What happens to EuroBonus?

Today, through the Eurobonus loyalty program, SAS customers can book flights with SAS and partners in the Star Alliance airline alliance, such as Lufthansa, United, Turkish and Thai.

SAS aims to leave Star Alliance before summer 2024 and join Air France-KLM's Skyteam alliance. SAS promises to honor all agreements until the exchanges are completed, and until then it will still be possible to book travel with Star Alliance airlines for EuroBonus points.

Source: What SAS changes mean for you – E24

So you should likely be good for your flight this December.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Departure won't happen until sometime in 2024.

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
No big loss IMO
If you don't use SAS, correct, but it is a key partner for those needing to travel to the Nordics.

I do have a couple of $500 PE fares left (to LHR). One later this month, and another in 2024. Luckily I can credit to either program.
FabCW likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
So SK goes to ST, when does AZ join *A?
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
No big loss IMO
Kind of agreed....

Makes me wonder if UA will seek another Nordic partner, or fill this hole via their own routes (making: EWR-ARN year round/fly to CPH/etc.).
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I have spent time at the lounges in CPH and will miss it. However, if it means UA could restart EWR-CPH/OSL, then I think that’s not a bad outcome. Could be a way of hanging onto folks who like Star Alliance over SkyTeam for Scandinavia-originating travel to the US.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:26 pm

I wish airBaltic would join Star Alliance and for some nonstop service from USA to Riga (RIX). But that's just my two cents. LOT does cover similar area compared to airBaltic.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
good riddance ... substandard carrier. Them and SN...
sannmann likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I would think this could drive United to add some routes to the Scandinavian countries....
unitedbusiness and tcdtcd like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
I would think this could drive United to add some routes to the Scandinavian countries....
Would SK move ORD routes to MSP or DTW to link up with DL domestically? Either way, it leaves *A without a nonstop from ORD to Scandinavia. So I assume UA adds ORD-CPH/ARN.

I've flown those SK routes many times and, even though the earnings aren't great, they've made up a nice chunk of my PQP over the last few years.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by entropy
good riddance ... substandard carrier.
By that reasoning, UA should be leaving *A as well.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
good riddance ... substandard carrier. Them and SN...
I will bite. What's substandard about SK? The only knock I have is its IFE movie selections; otherwise, it's an average to good airline, certainly compares favorably vs. United.
FabCW likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've certainly enjoyed my flights with SK. For TATL flights to ARN, they win hands-down simply for the fact they fly widebodies and not old, decrepit 757s.
Repooc17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.