Wiki Posts
Search

Top Tier comparison

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Top Tier comparison

I have been flying for business since 1993. In those 30 years I have achieved the top published elite tier of an airline’s frequent flier program for at least 25 years. Specifically:

1993-1995 USAir - I’ve forgotten the name of the top tier (Preferred Gold?) I believe it was only 50k to qualify.
1995-1999 United 1K
2006-2012 American Exec Platinum
2013-2016 Southwest A-List Preferred + Companion Pass
2016-2018 United 1K
2018-2022 Alaska 75K, becoming 100K when that tier began in 2019
2023 United 1K

I’ve never made an unpublished top tier, and I’ve never been elite on Delta, but I think I’ve had a pretty good view of the airlines I’ve flown through the years. Particularly I’ve seen how they treat their very frequent fliers.

I have to say that United 1K back in the late 90s was pretty special. I think I first qualified for 1K in late 1995 and I believe it was one of the first years they offered it. It was something like what I think GS aspires to today. There were secret rooms in the hubs that you could go to with bottled water, bagged snacks and the most wonderful, resourceful, intelligent agents who could make any irrops problems go away instantly. There were 1K agents who wore carnations in their lapels and met you on the jetway to help with connections and any changes. One met me on a jetway in Stapleton and drove me in a golf cart to a Continental flight. I know I was the only connection on my delayed flight from the East that made it out of Denver that night. There was a tin of chocolate chip cookies with a golden 1K logo on it delivered to my house for the holidays. I don’t remember all the details of upgrades (short and long certificates, right?) but I do remember that my company bought coach and I didn’t sit in back very much, if at all. And channel 9, ah… channel 9 (I know that’s not a 1K benefit specifically, but it made me feel special).

My second favorite was Alaska 100K. I was one of the first (I qualified before they officially announced it). The VP of Marketing called me to ask what they could do better. I only sat in back if I switched flights late and then the flight attendants always asked me what I was doing there and apologized. Whenever I flew with the Missus the flight attendants would make a big deal about what a VIP I was and thank me for my business (they know where the bread is buttered). If you fly coach and are 50k or better they give you a really nice chocolate bar as a consolation. On short hops I was sometimes disappointed with a last minute upgrade because I wouldn’t get the chocolate bar. The flight attendants, for the most part, were really happy to be there.

Exec Platinum in the late oughts was pretty good. Fairly consistent upgrades and the AAngels in the AAdmirals Club could fix things almost as well as the 1K agents. It was definitely the surly attendant days, though. AA’s labor troubles were showing. I did love sitting up front in the MD80s though, so quiet and so smooth.

Special mention goes to Southwest. I’m 6’7” tall so I like some leg room. With A-List preferred I almost always got the exit row seat with no seat in front and even when I didn’t SWA just has more legroom in general. The crew all love their job, and back when I was flying them a lot, they got you there on time. Period.

My revisit at United wasn’t as much fun. I mostly flew SFO-SEA and the flight was half Microsoft 1Ks, so no upgrades. Lots more surly crew. Lots of random equipment changes. Lots of mechanicals.

Now I’m back and looking forward to crossing 1MM soon. If I had stuck with United (not my option, work often chose the carrier for me), I would be over 2MM by now. I’m not in the same league or even the same game as ua1flyer , but I know what he means when he says he’s lucky to have flown as much as he has.
uanj, SFO_LOW_CLOUDS, nnn and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Alaska is the best program right now for me (and I say this as someone based out of the east coast with limited AS service). Tons of partners including those outside of OW. Status can still be earned based on distance traveled, and award flights do not require an arm and a leg (still 60K miles or less in business for many of its partners; although inventory is tighter than past years)

Most people on here don't consider it because AS does not have lie flat planes. Enjoy your spend-based programs and six digit award redemption rates.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Most people on here don't consider it because AS does not have lie flat planes. Enjoy your spend-based programs and six digit award redemption rates.
I don't consider it because (a) Alaska won't let me reset my MileagePlan password nor will they let me create a new account, so I've been locked out for years; (b) all of their flights from Austin are west, so flying anywhere to the east involves backtracking hundreds of miles; (c) I can fly a lot further, in a lot more comfort, on upgraded flights as a 1K than I can on partner award flights; (d) there are still ways to get reasonable value from MileagePlus awards.

(a) is very much a me problem. The others likely hold for many other people who aren't either (a) based on the west coast or (b) regularly flying to the west coast. I know, I know, "flyover country" and all that, but come on. There's no one right plan for everyone.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Also AS redemptions trans-Atlantic are mostly BA through London. The fuel plus LHR fees are ridiculous. AS is a great program for redeeming trans-Pacific, but very tough to find awards with less than $1,000 copay trans-Atlantic. I still have half a million miles waiting for a good redemption.
jsloan, Polytonic and uanj like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Delete for duplication
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 21, 2023 at 12:16 pm
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is my fourth decade of elite status flying. I appreciate OP spent the time comparing status and benefits amongst various program. Airlines elite benefits ( and qualification) change over time. It is never fair to compare one program/status/benefits from one era to another.

I am a free agent now while taking advantage of the UA lifetime GS status when UA is the best option. At the end day, I fly whoever has better schedule and offer most reasonable fares for product/services being offered. Chasing status year in and out seems inconsequential to me now versus when I was younger.

I actually think most of people here are quite receptive. People are less loyal and fixated on M+ than you think.
A small group may be, but not most. Despite my lifetime GS status, I have been flying CX, Scoot, Malaysian Air and Southwest lately. Definitely not tied to UA or *A.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Alaska is the best program right now for me (and I say this as someone based out of the east coast with limited AS service).
As current 1K and 75K, and former DL Plat and AA EXP, I definitely find AS best in terms of earnings, benefits (including upgrades), and overall treatment. I really appreciate being able to credit AA, BA, and SQ, including meaningful premium cabin bonuses for elite qualification (and no lame per-segment cap).

Originally Posted by wcpierce
Also AS redemptions trans-Atlantic are mostly BA through London.
If you can find better TATL awards on *A carriers, redeem through UA (or AC or AV, where they will generally be cheaper).

There's absolutely no reason to limit redemptions to one program. Just in the past six months, I've redeemed via BA, AC, KF, DL, AA, AS, and AA. They all have their sweet spots.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by wcpierce
Also AS redemptions trans-Atlantic are mostly BA through London. The fuel plus LHR fees are ridiculous. AS is a great program for redeeming trans-Pacific, but very tough to find awards with less than $1,000 copay trans-Atlantic. I still have half a million miles waiting for a good redemption.
EI TATL 60K "saver" award. No APD or BA tax

Just flew on one last month.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

EI TATL 60K "saver" award. No APD or BA tax

Just flew on one last month.
I love those. They are rare birds. Even rarer from the West Coast. Mostly I'm looking at 280k for that award.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
For me, I live in NW NJ ... that means my only status has been with Continental and now United.

It basically doesn't matter what the other airlines offer .... Continental and United have such a strong presence at Newark that I'm basically beholden.

My customers are all over the country and it's a direct flight on United from EWR to every.single.one of their locations. Every one.

So I'm sure there are upsides to other programs, but I've never had - nor do I expect to have - an opportunity to explore anyone else.

United's my ride-or-die. And trust me, they know it ...
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This is my last year as a 1K and I am reverting to Lifetime UA Gold. I am about to become a BA Gold but have been BA Silver for some years. I mostly fly TATL and have decided that I will always pay for Premium Economy except on the 767s. Given that, together with the Gold benefits, all I'm losing is the ability (or otherwise) to use PPs. I'll take my chance with mileage upgrades. BA Gold doesn't really offer much over Silver for me.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Almost 20 years of on-again, off-again Premier[Silver] with UA. Sometimes I forget how good we had it 20 years ago: adjacent seats blocked for all elites (wife and I almost always had the first row of coach in an A320 to ourselves); easy off-peak upgrades with 500-mile certs; great customer service. Even LH used to thank me for being a UA Premier.

I'd trade it all for Channel 9, though!

-CJ
Kacee, entropy and Live4Upgrades like this.

Last edited by CJ99; Aug 21, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Old Aug 21, 2023, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJ99

I'd trade it all for Channel 9, though!

-CJ
Yes, what is up with Channel 9?. It is still an option on the entertainment menu, but I am 0 for the last 12 months.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Between FCM and the spread of "knowledge"/mass pushing of cards w lounge access and status bennies, etc, the real benefits of even "top tier" status have vaporized. Lots of times I'm sure there are some great CS saves, but the days of readily being upgraded and treated like a truly special passenger are over.
DrMilano and zombietooth like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Yes, what is up with Channel 9?. It is still an option on the entertainment menu, but I am 0 for the last 12 months.
Many pilots only turn it on on request or decline completely. Additionally, there is a fader or switch that some don't remember to toggle, which winds up leaving the volume at 0. Lastly, some planes (the 737 MAX) show it in the menu, but it is not working correctly (yet, I believe).

It has been a long time since I've had successful Channel 9.

Some of this is discussed here:
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.