Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top Tier comparison

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience AA EXP in late 00’s early 10’s was the best status I have had. 8 SWUs that were easy to use, flagship lounge access and generally great customer service. UA 1k in the early 00’s was also very nice with the 6 SWUs that were easy to use as well. AS MVP 75k was nice as well but since I’m mostly flying international the main benefit to me was easy mileage earning and burning. DL Plat is not special at all.

I’m UA 1k this year by happenstance due to a few super expensive flights last year, it’s pretty much the same as my normal lifetime gold status since the points don’t clear very easily and domestic upgrades are scarce.

I actually find the best benefit of elite status nowadays is the shorter check in lines when flying on partners overseas. Almost everything else can be had with a credit card.
CJ99 and Dyce like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
AS MVP 75k was nice as well but since I’m mostly flying international the main benefit to me was easy mileage earning and burning.
Since AS is now OW, you get all the excellent OWE benefits, including F lounge access and free advance seat selection on BA, QR, and AY. This is why 75K is my "must make" status level. It's the only one I'd run for.
Quail, Repooc17 and FenwayTim like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Since AS is now OW, you get all the excellent OWE benefits, including F lounge access and free advance seat selection on BA, QR, and AY. This is why 75K is my "must make" status level. It's the only one I'd run for.
Agreed. Also free MCE (equivalent of E+) on AA at booking, along with upgrade opportunities, and free advance seat selections (sans MCE and exit rows? but everything else is a good to go) even on AA basic economy fares.
UA_Flyer and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by entropy
Between FCM and the spread of "knowledge"/mass pushing of cards w lounge access and status bennies, etc, the real benefits of even "top tier" status have vaporized. Lots of times I'm sure there are some great CS saves, but the days of readily being upgraded and treated like a truly special passenger are over.
There’s probably a chicken/egg argument to be had here, but in my case, I stopped trying hard for Silver when they moved to unlimited upgrades: it basically reduced my success to zero. That’s about the same time they took away E+ at booking for Silvers.

Coincidentally (…) around this time they also introduced a credit card with all the other benefits of entry-level status, so what’s the point of Silver? I occasionally qualify, but for a $500AF, you can get basic elite perks at each of the Big 3, so no reason to be too loyal to any of them unless you stand a chance at mid-tier status or above.
entropy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by entropy
Between FCM and the spread of "knowledge"/mass pushing of cards w lounge access and status bennies, etc, the real benefits of even "top tier" status have vaporized. Lots of times I'm sure there are some great CS saves, but the days of readily being upgraded and treated like a truly special passenger are over.
Cash is king these days. I'm getting really great treatment on OAL in premium cabins by paying cash. And getting some bargain J-fares, thousands cheaper than UA.
Paid F/J on any carrier = F/J on UA as a 1K. IRROPS handling makes UA better, you say? Not in my case. I've gotten far better IRROPS handling on DL as a Plat than on UA as a 1K in the last year. Agents are no longer empowered to do the special things that used to be common e.g. rebooking you on another carrier when a UA flight goes MX or is delayed/canceled.
CJ99 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
I miss US Airways Chairmans Preferred (top tier) status from the 2000s. I was probably at a 98% upgrade clearance on airplanes that had a cabin to upgrade into... and plenty of B767-200s with intl config flying between CLT and PHL/PIT. A321s with 26 First Class seats on at least the first few flights out of my home airport and on the west coast flights. Phone agents and even regular airport CS desk/Club agents were great and would suggest those reroutes that today we have to find and beg an agent to force book us on. PIT-PHL canceled? I have a nonstop in 4 hours or I can route you PIT-SYR-PHL leaving now and arriving in 3 hours.

I have mid-tier now on a couple of airlines including United. Maybe this speaks to the degradation of perks at many airlines, but the best elite status I have right now is Gold at Spirit, which is top tier. You can reserve any seat other than the Big Front Seats at booking. Free carry-on, free checked bag. Show boarding pass and get free snack and drink on board. Local station manager gave me his cell phone number and frequently pops up to the gate to say hello to elites. And best of all: Dedicated phone line that gets answered almost immediately. Last time I misconnected, I called as soon as we turned off the runway and by the time we stopped at the gate about 4 minutes later, I was set. They've also whipped out the credit card and bought me other airline tickets once or twice... but things go wrong with them far far less than they used to.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I miss US Airways Chairmans Preferred (top tier) status from the 2000s. I was probably at a 98% upgrade clearance on airplanes that had a cabin to upgrade into... and plenty of B767-200s with intl config flying between CLT and PHL/PIT. A321s with 26 First Class seats on at least the first few flights out of my home airport and on the west coast flights. Phone agents and even regular airport CS desk/Club agents were great and would suggest those reroutes that today we have to find and beg an agent to force book us on. PIT-PHL canceled? I have a nonstop in 4 hours or I can route you PIT-SYR-PHL leaving now and arriving in 3 hours.
Chariman's Preferred in the later 1990s wasn't as good. No international upgrades on USAir at all (except possible op-ups), pushed me to fly UA for my PHL-FRA trips because I could actually upgrade, even with low status on IAD-FRA for 10,000 miles. That kickstarted my UA status for when I moved to DEN in 1999. Domestic was good, but that international part really put a damper on having Chariman's Preferred

My best year was in the first year of GS - if there was an open seat for an upgrade or standby, I got it. The 500 miler coupons meant I was still only upgraded on a little over 50% of my domestic flights, but that was OK with me. When I wanted an UG, I got it. I remember showing up at a gate to try and get on an earlier flight and the GA told me there was zero chance. I said to put me on the list anyway, and, of course, I popped to the top of the list, then got the upgrade as well. Not all agents were really aware of GS in the first year. Proactive protection in irrops was seamless and an agent always answered the phone in very short order. I would agree that 1K in the late 1990's/early 2000's still made you feel special. I can't imagine these days where 1ks can be in the double digits on an upgrade list.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tods27
I would agree that 1K in the late 1990's/early 2000's still made you feel special.
Absolutely. The secret 1K lounges and amazing IRROPS. I remember getting out of NYC immediately after Floyd in 1999 when most were stranded for days, and in upgraded C, no less, on JFK-SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.