Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Checking Stroller

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Gate Checking Stroller

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed countless times. We're taking a short flight on United this December (UA 2248 from SFO to SNA RT). Just wanted to know if UA allows gate checking of strollers? I don't know if gate checking of strollers or any other large item is regulated by airline, airport, etc. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No problem.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...-children.html
Getting to the gate
Standard strollers, folding wagons, and car seats can be used to get to your gate and then checked for free. They’ll be returned to you on arrival. Collapsible strollers can be stored in-cabin. Car seats can be used onboard your flight too.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Perfect, thanks!

Darn, didn't think to actually check the UA site.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes. You just bring it to the gate. Note you’ll need to collapse stroller through TSA.

To make things more efficient, I’d suggest going to the desk when you arrive at the gate, and asking for a pink tag for the stroller - rather then when you board so it’ll be all prepped and you won’t be holding up the boarding line. These are different than the green tags that are the ones used for gate check bags on regional planes (also: pink tags will work for mainline aircraft also, while typically they don’t gate check for those). They’ll ask for a BP and put your destination info. On there, give you a receipt and then tag the stroller itself. You just collapse at the gate and put by the end of jetbridge before you actually enter the aircraft.

Personally, when I gate checked a stroller for our kids, particularly on mainline aircraft since they didn’t typically have other bags to take down there, I’d always let the greeting FA know as a heads up that I left a stroller by the gate so they could keep an eye out to make sure it was brought down before the door closes. I don’t know how much any given FA actually heeded that, but it made me feel better letting someone else know.
SPN Lifer, narvik and uanj like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emcampbe
To make things more efficient, I’d suggest going to the desk when you arrive at the gate, and asking for a pink tag for the stroller - rather then when you board so it’ll be all prepped and you won’t be holding up the boarding line.
This x1000. I've gone as far as going to the get to get stroller pink-tagged as soon as I get to the concourse, before going to the Club for snacks. Get it done early before the hoards start pestering the GA for seat assignments, complaints, etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Yep, as others have said, go get that pink tag quickly. Then drop the stroller at the end of the jet bridge right before the airplane door. When you arrive, wait in that same spot and they will bring it up to you. The bigger strollers, uppababy cruz, etc need to be checked like this. I’ve been able to get the smaller version, the Minu, up in the bin.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I see a lot of checked strollers sitting in the jetway but rarely see someone in the jetway waiting for their stroller. I think a large percentage of the stroller-checking-passengers sit in the back of the airplane.

I'd consider a stroller bag for gate checking. It keeps small parts contained, if they get knocked off, and adds protection from parts of the stroller getting caught on something causing damage. This one is just an example, not a recommendation, that I found with a quick search.

Amazon Amazon

As a general rule, airline websites are well indexed. You can find answers quickly by Googling the airline name and the policy you're looking for. i.e. "United strollers" or "Delta bag fees".
aindfan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes. You just bring it to the gate. Note you’ll need to collapse stroller through TSA.
This is true for most umbrella strollers, but not most other strollers. If the stroller is small enough to fit through the X-ray folded, you should do that. Most strollers are not, so you leave it intact and they hand screen it.
If you see it's borderline when folded, don't. We had the handle of a stroller get torn up by TSA once because it fit into the machine but not out of it.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:02 pm

Just did it this past weekend at both IAD and DEN.
Worked fine. Minimal waits.
Gate agents seemed to appreciate approaching desk well before boarding to get tagging done.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K
Originally Posted by redleader74
Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed countless times. We're taking a short flight on United this December (UA 2248 from SFO to SNA RT). Just wanted to know if UA allows gate checking of strollers? I don't know if gate checking of strollers or any other large item is regulated by airline, airport, etc. Thanks in advance!

One has to ask.... HOW BIG IS THAT STROLLER? AA does not allow for gate checking of a stroller heavier than 20lbs. UA does not have a restriction. But I still have to ask... Is this a SOUS - Stroller of unusual size? (like a ROUS from Princess Bride)?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We also used bungee cords when collapsing the stroller so that it stayed closed. Then we put the stroller into our red big stroller bag. It’s hard to miss :-)
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K
Originally Posted by gaobest
We also used bungee cords when collapsing the stroller so that it stayed closed. Then we put the stroller into our red big stroller bag. It’s hard to miss :-)

May I request you please stop doing this. I had a friend pick up an item wrapped in a bungee cord and it slipped - they lost an eye. Please use a lockable zip tie.
SPN Lifer and marks88 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by redleader74
Depending on how frequently you intend to fly with your kid(s) I highly recommend a stroller that folds into carryon bag size that fits overhead. We Baby Jogger City Tour... I think it's easier then gate checking cause you're not waiting, it's overall lighter then many other strollers and very little risk of breaking with gate checking (which has happened to us).
Old Aug 18, 2023, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
I'd consider a stroller bag for gate checking. It keeps small parts contained, if they get knocked off, and adds protection from parts of the stroller getting caught on something causing damage. This one is just an example, not a recommendation, that I found with a quick search.
I second this recommendation. We lost several strap pads the first time we gate checked the stroller and went with a bag afterward.

Note that you can also gate check a collapsible wagon. Handy when the kids are big enough to be out of the stroller but still too small to make the 1 mile or so walk from door to gate at airports like IAD. Ours holds the kid plus a carryon and backpacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.