Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
It's flying IAH-MUC tomorrow 3/29, UA102.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n641ua#
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
On the plus side, that plane will be brand spanking clean and with some new/refreshed Polaris suites from the original damage photos.
ContinentalFan and VRFast like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:28 pm

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K
Originally Posted by VRFast

It flew its first return to scheduled flight as UA854-27 IAHLIM and returned to IAH as a cargo ferry today.
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by h2oflyboy
It flew its first return to scheduled flight as UA854-27 IAHLIM and returned to IAH as a cargo ferry today.
see the earlier discussion for more details of this first trip

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:44 pm
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:39 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Originally Posted by VRFast
Hah! My 'instructor' is the FO on that one!
He started at UA about a year ago and I just found out talking to him last night that he got 76s.
I made an offhand comment about 641 getting back up. He didnt know what his tail number would be, but I'll have to send him a thumbs up!

Edit: Woops, small detail.... Pretty sure he would be departing IAD, not IAH... Thats what happens when you post before coffee...

Last edited by huey_driver; Mar 29, 2024 at 6:16 am
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by huey_driver
Hah! My 'instructor' is the FO on that one!
He started at UA about a year ago and I just found out talking to him last night that he got 76s.
I made an offhand comment about 641 getting back up. He didnt know what his tail number would be, but I'll have to send him a thumbs up!

Edit: Woops, small detail.... Pretty sure he would be departing IAD, not IAH... Thats what happens when you post before coffee...
Hah. Chances are he'll fly it out of MUC or somewhere else at some point. Now he knows the tail#.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:26 am

Looks like....future flights for 641 have been removed from the immediate schedule.
VRFast likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A re-engined 767 probably could've been the new NLA. The frame has obviously proven to be great. Just toss in modern avionics and some carbon fiber bits here and there to make it lighter, and they could've had a massive order book.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Looks like....future flights for 641 have been removed from the immediate schedule.
it’s been routed IRO-NOU-TWR-NKL for next week
h2oflyboy and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by zeus2120
Her schedule is updated now; she is sitting at IAH next to Bldg H (Hangar) - been there since the LIM cargo ferry return - no movement. Currently pending a routing starting on Mar 31 UA852-31 IAHLIM. Time will tell....
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:02 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
it’s been routed IRO-NOU-TWR-NKL for next week

I had to google ALL those codes.
LaserSailor likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
If the passenger tooling still exists -- to the extent it's different from the 767F -- I wouldn't be shocked if Boeing accepted a fistful of money for an airline (or leasing company) in exchange for an order. Remember a large part of the reason Boeing couldn't (economically) restart 757 production after it became clear there was a void for an aircraft in that role/capability mix was that Boeing had (directed its vendors to) scrap the tooling. Once the tooling is gone the costs and complexities go way, way, way, up. Now the engine/environmental considerations may have economic lifespan considerations that further moot this... but where there's will and money there's usually a way.
That's the rub. In 2017, when United (under previous management) reportedly approached Boeing about restarting passenger 767 production, it was deemed cost-prohibitive at the time. Since then, I doubt costs have come down in that regard. Keep in mind the last passenger 763 rolled off the line a decade ago. Many of the components for the passenger 767 are no longer manufactured, and integration of new products would require a recertification process... which hasn't exactly been Boeing's strong suit lately. I suppose, in theory, Boeing could easily build the shell of a pax 763ER and leave operators to go dumpster-diving for constituent parts that cannot be built new, but that cuts into the supply of parts for the in-service fleet (more $$$$), plus parts that are timed out, incompatible, etc.

Not only that, given the impending ICAO 2027 regulations, a reborn passenger 767 would most certainly require a different engine, further adding to the cost/complexity. There was definitely a window for Boeing to make a 767NG work, but that time has come and gone.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:44 am

Looks like it flew IAH - MUC just fine, now its midway through MUC - IAD and scheduled to fly IAD-LHR/LHR-IAD tonight and tomorrow.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.