Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

E+ for companions - random selection of who gets it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

Am looking to book a one-way transcon trip for a family group of 5. As a gold, I'm supposed to get E+ for me plus 1 at time of booking, or 'preferred' seats for up to 8. All other pax are non-status.
When I get to seat selection, the system automatically selected the #4 person of my group to get free E+ (along with me as #1), and showed a charge for E+ for the others.
I rearranged the passenger selection, and this time it gave free E+ to the #2 person (along with me as #5). So I always got it, but the second person was random, not linked to either name or position.
Of course, I know I can just select seats and then call to have them rearranged, but am curious as to what's going on.

Also, any suggestions/strategy for maximizing free E+? (will NOT be paying any extra, since cost of E+ alone is 3/4 of the ticket price itself). I was planning on putting 2 in last row of E+ and other 3 in the E- row right behind, with myself in the worst possible seat (middle E-), thus on the off-chance I get upgraded I give the F seat to a family member and I take theirs. And yes, we can live in E- for a transcon if that's what happens.
Other than that, any other thoughts?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:04 am

I think you have to put yourself, as the Gold, in E+
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by jonu
When booking, yes, but would I not be able to call in and move myself to E- and put 2 of my companions in E+?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
When booking, yes, but would I not be able to call in and move myself to E- and put 2 of my companions in E+?
Not as the rules are written. You get yourself plus one. If you move to E-, only one person will get E+.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
No, the benefit is not "two people on your reservation," it's "you plus a companion."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonu
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not as the rules are written. You get yourself plus one. If you move to E-, only one person will get E+.
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, the benefit is not "two people on your reservation," it's "you plus a companion."
Thank you all for the clarification, my interpretation is apparently incorrect.
Guess I'll be throwing myself to the whims of a merciful reservation agent who may be willing to reshuffle the seat assignments!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.