Stranded in EWR

Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,636
Stranded in EWR

4 of us traveling in paid F. Flight to TPA just got cancelled one of us rebooked tomorrow evening and other 3 on Wednesday night: 2 in F one in Y.

I found 3 seats on AA that would get us to TPA tomorrow instead of Wednesday but they are in F and UA refuses to endorse our tickets to AA in F. Is this the norm? Any recourse? (There are no Y seats on.tjose flights and we paid for F).
FAA1996 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:01 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 14,796
Originally Posted by FAA1996
4 of us traveling in paid F. Flight to TPA just got cancelled one of us rebooked tomorrow evening and other 3 on Wednesday night: 2 in F one in Y.

I found 3 seats on AA that would get us to TPA tomorrow instead of Wednesday but they are in F and UA refuses to endorse our tickets to AA in F. Is this the norm? Any recourse? (There are no Y seats on.tjose flights and we paid for F).
Pretty simple - you can ask for refund from UA and buy the AA tickets. You'll probably find out why UA isn't going to endorse your tickets over to them when you see the prices. And yes, it is the norm. None of the 3 legacies make it a routine practice to endorse over to other carriers. There are exceptional cases, but with what's going on at EWR currently, you're not special (unless you have GS status and make a big stink ).
jsloan, SPN Lifer, wxguy and 4 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 10, 2023 at 4:45 pm Reason: speling
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:16 pm
  #3  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,095
Originally Posted by FAA1996
4 of us traveling in paid F. Flight to TPA just got cancelled one of us rebooked tomorrow evening and other 3 on Wednesday night: 2 in F one in Y.

I found 3 seats on AA that would get us to TPA tomorrow instead of Wednesday but they are in F and UA refuses to endorse our tickets to AA in F. Is this the norm? Any recourse? (There are no Y seats on.tjose flights and we paid for F).
For weather related irrops, rarely offered.

Keep checking options, in situations like this inventory is very, dynamic, those AA seats are probably gone but other UA options may open up. Consider FLL or MIA or even MCO??

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2023 at 4:36 pm Reason: rephrased to be clearer "rarely offered."
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:33 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 31,539
They will do it with maintenance issues or other controllable events.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:38 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Posts: 4,406
Originally Posted by cfischer
They will do it with maintenance issues or other controllable events.
Unfortunately for the OP, this one is being called weather/ATC. (UA2072 is the only EWR-TPA canceled at the moment)

Your flight is canceled because of current or anticipated disruptions related to airspace and/or ground congestion. Your safety is our priority and we're sorry for the inconvenience.
There is an airspace flow program in effect for all southbound flights crossing over/near North Florida, as has become somewhat common.
becks1 likes this.
ty97 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:52 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,964
Could someone please explain the airspace flow program referenced above?
chollie likes this.
michael_v is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Posts: 4,406
Originally Posted by michael_v
Could someone please explain the airspace flow program referenced above?
There is a lot of traffic into and out of Florida that goes through a narrow area covered by, I believe, Jacksonville Air Traffic Control. For whatever reason (I don't the reasons: weather in Florida? Staffing at Jacksonville center? Both? Other?) it is not uncommon for a flow control program like the one below which is in effect now.

You can see any active flow control programs at
https://nasstatus.faa.gov/

ty97 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:09 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 8,082
Originally Posted by michael_v
Could someone please explain the airspace flow program referenced above?
The current program is restriction north to south traffic through Jacksonville Center's airspace. You can see the current ground delay and ground stop programs on the National Airspace System Status page. https://nasstatus.faa.gov/

moondog, SPN Lifer and Mr.Nuke like this.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:13 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Posts: 9,838
This situation is most unfortunate, but as others have said, getting any carrier to invol reroute you to another in a paid premium cabin when the delay is outside their control is nearly impossible. If this were a mechanical, should be no issue. But they (and likely not unfairly so) take the view that they should not have to pay out for a delay they did not cause.
stevenshev is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:15 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: UA MM
Posts: 3,996
Originally Posted by stevenshev
This situation is most unfortunate, but as others have said, getting any carrier to invol reroute you to another in a paid premium cabin when the delay is outside their control is nearly impossible. If this were a mechanical, should be no issue. But they (and likely not unfairly so) take the view that they should not have to pay out for a delay they did not cause.
The FAA caused the delay. UA caused the cancellation.

Note to OP: Can UA find you four F seats to MCO? Rent a car from there for the short drive and be done with it.
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:17 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Posts: 9,838
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The FAA caused the delay. UA caused the cancellation.

Note to OP: Can UA find you four F seats to MCO? Rent a car from there for the short drive and be done with it.
You're not wrong, but it will be an uphill battle to prove that that is a distinction with a difference.
seawolf and SPN Lifer like this.
stevenshev is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:17 pm
  #12  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,095
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The FAA caused the delay. UA caused the cancellation.
And that is not the definition in the airline industry for a carrier caused event. FAA restricted the slots below the schedule, causing the carrier to drop a flight.
seawolf, SPN Lifer and DiamondMile like this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:20 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Posts: 4,406
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Note to OP: Can UA find you four F seats to MCO? Rent a car from there for the short drive and be done with it.
Two EWR-MCO have already canceled today with delays posted for two of three flights this evening. When I looked a little wile ago, EWR-MCO was in the same boat as EWR-TPA, no available seats tomorrow. Inventory is fluid so that could change of course.
SPN Lifer likes this.
ty97 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:21 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: UA MM
Posts: 3,996
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And that is not the definition in the airline industry for a carrier caused event. FAA restricted the slots below the schedule, causing the carrier to drop a flight.
That's quite a stretch by the airline industry. I just looked up the FAA advisory and all it mentions are delays crossing the restriction zone. There's nothing about slots being dropped.
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:30 pm
  #15  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,095
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That's quite a stretch by the airline industry. ...

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I just looked up the FAA advisory and all it mentions are delays crossing the restriction zone. There's nothing about slots being dropped.
In these case there are usually more specific details we don't see on the public sites, UA has to request, for specific times, access to the specific flyways. One of the pilots can explain this better.
Mr.Nuke likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.