Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces South Pacific Expansion Including SFO-CHC, LAX-BNE & LAX-AKL (2023Q4)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Announces South Pacific Expansion Including SFO-CHC, LAX-BNE & LAX-AKL (2023Q4)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Soundman76
Bangkok is such a hotspot full and rich of tourism and business travel to the SE Asian Region.

The demand is there and they could win back many US flyers taking JAL, Korean AIr, Asiana, CX and EVA to BKK.
Yes there's demand but what about the fares. And also the opportunity cost of using the aircraft on another more profitable route.
James91 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
great news from this announcement. hopefully this will help significantly with the upgrade situation which over the past year has required even more flexibility and creativity than it did in the past. it has been rare to see anything sub-$2,200 in Y for my regular IAH-SYD route. I'm not offended by that price if the upgrades clear, but there's been a couple of times where I've routed via MEL, or made a same day change to the next day to be sure of it. Hopefully with a ton of new flights that won't be required quite as often.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I agree. I would have expected WLG before CHC, but then they couldn't say they were the only airline flying to the South Island.
SFO-ZQN would be far more interesting, but having flown out of there I am well aware that theres no way ZQN can handle a widebody.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Does anyone know when these go on sale typically?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
So they will sell out these new flights or are there greater chances of awards and upgrades?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Yes there's demand but what about the fares. And also the opportunity cost of using the aircraft on another more profitable route.
Phuket may make more sense than BKK as many wealthy would be willing to pay expensive J fares to fly there
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Just checked the prices for flights to Australia - any of the coties and all higher than the past few weeks, usually increased supply lowers prices and yes I know airline pricing is different ...
There is very little benefit to the airline to increase capacity that leads to lower pricing. Their intent is more aimed at increasing demand and maintain pricing.

Originally Posted by frappant
So they will sell out these new flights or are there greater chances of awards and upgrades?
Suspect UA's answer is the former and FT desire is the latter. Again, it is not to UA's benefit to increase capacity that leads to excess seats (used for awards / upgrades).
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frappant
UA did not launch new routes in order to make upgrades or awards easy.

IIRC, the last time they entered new routes, they messed up and opened I and PZ availability for an hour or two before they got it corrected -- somehow, not right when the flight was loaded, but later that day or maybe the next.

In general, though, expect them to be the same upgrade difficulty as the other AUS/NZ flights, meaning very seasonal.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
Does anyone know when these go on sale typically?
It is already loaded. There is no PN, PZ or IN spaces. I only looked at SFO-CHC for January 2024. The price is as expensive as that of SFO-PVG...
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA did not launch new routes in order to make upgrades or awards easy.

IIRC, the last time they entered new routes, they messed up and opened I and PZ availability for an hour or two before they got it corrected -- somehow, not right when the flight was loaded, but later that day or maybe the next.

In general, though, expect them to be the same upgrade difficulty as the other AUS/NZ flights, meaning very seasonal.
I have three data points from the past year on this:

1) When EWR-CPT went from seasonal to year round, some of the newly added flights (non-weekend days in northern summer 2022) were loaded with PN5 PZ5 IN5 I5 right away. It stayed for the whole day, and I watched as FT and the blogs caught on, people booked the seats (including myself), and the inventory slowly incremented down. By the evening, any inventory that hadn't already been booked was wiped.

2) SFO-BNE had a bunch of dates with PN and PZ (not sure about IN or I) show up about a week after the route was initially loaded. There was no space in the opposite direction. Not sure how long this space lasted.

3) The new TATL routes this summer also had PN, PZ, IN, and I show up a few days to a week after the routes were initially loaded. I think this lasted for more than a day, because I remember Gary/VFTW blogging about it multiple times.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:26 pm

LAX > AKL - Perfect timing for my NZ trip early next year!
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
After this expansion, are there really any other routes UA could realistically add to OZ/NZ that makes sense at all with their current fleet? The only one I could think of would be EWR-AKL, but at over 8800 miles, I think that's challenging even for the upgraded 789s.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
? Cairns (CNS) prior pmCO destination from GUM. gateway to the Great Barrier reef
SPN Lifer and muaddib89 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
After this expansion, are there really any other routes UA could realistically add to OZ/NZ that makes sense at all with their current fleet? The only one I could think of would be EWR-AKL, but at over 8800 miles, I think that's challenging even for the upgraded 789s.
IAH-AKL maybe?
mikeyf likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
SFO-CHC is a bit of a headscratcher but fine for positioning I guess.
US tourists to NZ are growing in numbers and the NZ Tourism marketing is tilting to the US market as it stays longer and spends more.
The American tourists are looking for experiences, particularly anything to do with wilderness and adventure. The South Island of NZ is prime for that.
Queenstown, served by ZQN as an airport, is the hot destination and must see spot for most of these tourists. Many other great or better places in the SI as well.

This SFO-CHC will sell well with people paying for premium cabins.

If you live in the SI and want to go to NA or points beyond, a direct flight from CHC to SFO thus avoiding a connection in AKL is awesome.
uanj, mikeyf, NZbutterfly and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.