Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA (March 2023) "We're testing a new boarding process for your flight"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
Testing at three stations (LAX, MCO, and MSP).

BG6 added for BE.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Anyone know what this is all about? The quoted below came to me via text:

We're testing a new boarding process for your flight, so your group number may be different than usual. Please wait for the agent to call the group number on your boarding pass before lining up at the gate.
I got to the gate toward the end of the boarding, so didn't see anything different then.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Repooc17

We're testing a new boarding process for your flight, so your group number may be different than usual. Please wait for the agent to call the group number on your boarding pass before lining up at the gate.
I got to the gate toward the end of the boarding, so didn't see anything different then.
The new 1K boarding group?

​​​​​​​David
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

What was the group number on your boarding pass vs what it should have been?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
The new 1K boarding group?

David
Unsure, but I'd venture this was a mass text sent to all available customers on the flight. While I hope this would be to adjust 1K to G1, maybe tinkering with other groups. I was not present at the gate area for almost the entire boarding process...

Originally Posted by bocastephen
What was the group number on your boarding pass vs what it should have been?
​​​​​​​My group number never changed. I qualify for preboarding, and the BP never changed/updated.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
While I hope this would be to adjust 1K to G1, maybe tinkering with other groups.
Wait. As a 1K you want 1Ks to get lower boarding priority --- move from pre boarding to group 1?

-RM
Old Mar 19, 2023, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Wait. As a 1K you want 1Ks to get lower boarding priority --- move from pre boarding to group 1?

-RM
Yes. UA's boarding process is the longest in my experience of some 120-130 flights/yr across carriers. 1K preboarding is part of the problem.

Sometimes I haven't even arrived at the airport yet when UA has commenced its boarding process. I feel good about avoiding the chaos.
ZenFlyer and benewr like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It would be a great improvement to the Friendly Skies if we could eliminate the boarding scrum and revert to an orderly boarding process.
CJ99 and nnn like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It would be a great improvement to the Friendly Skies if we could eliminate the boarding scrum and revert to an orderly boarding process.
As long as UA continues to treat the boarding process as a way to coax more $$ out of passengers, orderly is but a dream.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Boarding the back of the plane first, like the old days?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This would be lovely, but it I'm afraid it would require massive personality adjustments by a large percentage of the flying public.

IMO the problem is not the process, it's the passengers.
cricketer, kilo, gutt22 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO the problem is not the process, it's the passengers.
…. Passengers who have been conditioned by United to believe they are all “elite” and deserve special treatment.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
…. Passengers who have been conditioned by United to believe they are all “elite” and deserve special treatment.
I don't agree (at all) that Mileage Plus is to blame for increasingly poor passenger behavior. We see this throughout society, not just at the airport. We also see it across airlines. While UA has particular brands of poor behavior (which tend to reflect its hubs), I see equally poor behavior on other carriers, both domestic and international.
cricketer, ani90 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't agree (at all) that Mileage Plus is to blame for increasingly poor passenger behavior. We see this throughout society, not just at the airport. We also see it across airlines. While UA has particular brands of poor behavior (which tend to reflect its hubs), I see equally poor behavior on other carriers, both domestic and international.
you've never encountered people who buy premier status for their flight thinking that they get to pre-board along with all of the GS and 1K? I have.

And while I agree that you can’t blame mileage plus for all of the bad behavior, now that I’m flying other airlines more often, I am amazed at how, even in the United States, other airlines seem to be able to board the aircraft without the drama, you find at the average UA gate.

One thing I’ve noticed is that United really puts a burden on their own employees by understaffing the gate at departure. Every Delta flight I’ve taken out of SEA since moving here has been simply amazing by comparison to the scrum I’m used to encountering at a United gate. Passengers actually listen to the gate agents request to not stand up and congregate around the boarding area until their group is called.

When you don’t have enough employees to answer questions and control the crowd trying to get on the airplane, drama results. In contrast, my most recent UA flight from Munich was amazing. Five gate agents were available during a boarding process that calmly boarded a completely full 789 in under 30 minutes. Part of the reason that boarding was so efficient is there were two passengers requiring extra assistance, no families, five military, no GS, and less than 10 1K passengers.

When everyone is elite, no one is elite
nnn and nlf like this.

Last edited by halls120; Mar 22, 2023 at 11:41 am
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Every Delta flight I’ve taken out of SEA since moving here has been simply amazing by comparison to the scrum I’m used to encountering at a United gate. Passengers actually listen to the gate agents request to not stand up and congregate around the boarding area until their group is called.
Can vouch - data points LGA/JFK DL vs. EWR UA. DL (and most other carriers) also tend not to have a lot of roped sections for people to line up (vs. UA).
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
When you don’t have enough employees to answer questions and control the crowd trying to get on the airplane, drama results. In contrast, my most recent UA flight from Munich was amazing. Five gate agents were available during a boarding process that calmly boarded a completely full 789 in under 30 minutes. Part of the reason that boarding was so efficient is there were two passengers requiring extra assistance, no families, five military, no GS, and less than 10 1K passengers.

When everyone is elite, no one is elite
I had the opposite boarding experience in MUC. More than enough employees to herd the cats (4-5), but no thinking involved by the employee who was announcing preboarding and boarding groups. Pre board call, followed a minute later by BG1 call, then a minute later BG2, etc. Total scrum and chaos. No boarding group signs....yes, we had some families, people requiring assistance, a bunch of 1K/GS from what I could see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.