Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Booking to Asia in C

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Even on AS. Historically, AS has been a good FFP with mix of partners from multiple alliances.

I did see IAD to India for 80K AS miles + BA surcharge (on BA).

I will take that as a win. (I am used to 60K/65K on JL)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Compared to AA and Delta, 200K for business class on the right day at the right time from the right departure airport is a good deal. AA is 300K - 400K. The flight isn't until next spring so time enough to sort out the options. The creative options are via India or AUH or DOH and 32 hours minimum.
A lot of this whether a good deal or not is how easily you accumulate miles. Plenty of people acquire 200K miles monthly - others can take years.

I looked at 1 routing EWR roundtrip to either HND or NRT flying 8/6 return 8/13. All the tickets are in the $16K range in business. Award travel is 400K miles. I'd use miles.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Agree -- had to snag two 100k awards from EWR - HND in early September -- the days of sub 100k seem to be over....
Looking for early September flights to BKK I would kill for 100K J right now! Virtually all that's available is 250K+ (and UA actually has the lowest priced dynamic awards).
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Even on AS. Historically, AS has been a good FFP with mix of partners from multiple alliances.
Just very little availability. The Starlux flights at 235k are the only option on many days and actually a relatively decent deal right now. JL is now 100K to SE Asia when available.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:58 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
Looking for early September flights to BKK I would kill for 100K J right now! Virtually all that's available is 250K+ (and UA actually has the lowest priced dynamic awards)
I'm going to BKK the very end of August, returning end of September, and every once in a while a 110k itinerary would pop up, usually from ORD, YUL or YYZ using OS-TG via VIE. I would check daily on every gateway I could think of and one day there'd be 110k, next day I'd check and it'd be gone, but another date would pop open.

I ended up getting a 80k J ticket on BR IAH-TPE-BKK because not only was it faster, it was fewer & shorter stops.

Right now there is one 110k on 28-Aug, if that works, IAD-VIE-BKK in J, and some two-stop 110k options out of JFK on 04,05,06-Sep. Sorry, but nothing from your side of the USA, though.

Last edited by wpcoe; Aug 5, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wpcoe
nothing from your side of the USA, though.
Tell me about it

I've got a nice itinerary booked at excessive prices and will look to improve as we get closer in. NH and JL both have been opening space within a week or so of departure.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I'm going to BKK the very end of August, returning end of September, and every once in a while a 110k itinerary would pop up, usually from ORD, YUL or YYZ using OS-TG via VIE. I would check daily on every gateway I could think of and one day there'd be 110k, next day I'd check and it'd be gone, but another date would pop open.

I ended up getting a 80k J ticket on BR IAH-TPE-BKK because not only was it faster, it was fewer & shorter stops.

Right now there is one 110k on 28-Aug, if that works, IAD-VIE-BKK in J, and some two-stop 110k options out of JFK on 04,05,06-Sep. Sorry, but nothing from your side of the USA, though.
Tell me about it

I've got a nice itinerary booked at excessive prices and will look to improve as we get closer in. NH and JL both have been opening space within a week or so of departure.
This is my experience as well, though haven't seen the 80k level in some time. I did find an SFO-TPE-BKK itinerary for 110, using United and Thai, in November. But cancelled it to move my trip up to August.
Scored IAD->LHR->BKK on United and Thai at 110K, but had to book a separate positioning flight to get the IAD.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Looking for early September flights to BKK I would kill for 100K J right now! Virtually all that's available is 250K+ (and UA actually has the lowest priced dynamic awards).

Just very little availability. The Starlux flights at 235k are the only option on many days and actually a relatively decent deal right now. JL is now 100K to SE Asia when available.
SFO-KIX available on 9/1 and 9/4. Onward is pretty lengthy but hey it’s a start.

Plenty of TG via Europe as folks have said.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
This is my experience as well, though haven't seen the 80k level in some time. I did find an SFO-TPE-BKK itinerary for 110, using United and Thai, in November. But cancelled it to move my trip up to August.
Scored IAD->LHR->BKK on United and Thai at 110K, but had to book a separate positioning flight to get the IAD.
Yeah I think 100 or 110 is as good as you'll see within a month of travel. These will be bookable on Aeroplan for less.
Originally Posted by marks88
SFO-KIX available on 9/1 and 9/4. Onward is pretty lengthy but hey it’s a start.
Yes, thanks - the connecting time is prohibitively long. The "change of airport" options at TYO are also off the table.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:49 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I was messing around with ORD-MNL searches today. Right now I can find a bunch leaving in Aug for 110k one way via Europe in C. like Aug 22 ORD-ARN-BKK-MNL Scandinavian, via FRA on Lufthansa. BKK-MNL is Economy though.

Earlier today, I was looking up March and April next year and pulling up various 113K business one ways on UA with the new SFO-MNL. Various ORD-DEN-SFO or ORD-IAH-SFO or via LAX to SFO.b those all disappeared And now everything is 200k each way. I have no status or credit card so maybe those are still available for others.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:44 pm
formerly 1984SW

Tell me about it

How about LAS-MUC-BKK on the 28-Aug? Granted, it's on Eurowings in 2-2-2 for 10h40m, but it is Business class.

I noticed today lots more options that even yesterday at 110k to BKK, though except for that LAS connection, everything from the Eastern half of the US still. I should probably stop checking and just resign myself to a day-long layover IAH to fly IAH-TPE-BKK on BR for which UA won't check my bags through from MID-IAH because it's over 12 hours in IAH.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:00 pm

How about LAS-MUC-BKK on the 28-Aug? Granted, it's on Eurowings in 2-2-2 for 10h40m, but it is Business class.
Thanks. This is for my partner. She's got a limited departure/arrival window and is not going to be down with awkward routings or positioning flights. Right now I've got her on JX in J LAX-TPE-BKK for 235k AS miles. I think the only options that are likely to prompt a switch would be saver availability through TYO or TPE on *A, JL through NRT (AS miles), or SQ (KF or AC miles).
wpcoe likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I have AVP-EWR-VIE-ZRH-BKK booked in J for next year for 100k miles.
I thought it was a great deal at the time, but now not so sure, especially as there was nothing decent for the return (yet).
Might cancel if something better comes along...
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by narvik
I have AVP-EWR-VIE-ZRH-BKK booked in J for next year for 100k miles.
I thought it was a great deal at the time, but now not so sure, especially as there was nothing decent for the return (yet).
Might cancel if something better comes along...
I've seen TG releasing inventory on BKK-LHR in F/J which you could use
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.