Award Booking to Asia in C

Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
I started seeing quite a bit of I on NH. When is the last time you checked?
Searched pretty intensely for BKK about two weeks ago. Fair bit of UA to TYO, TPE, and ICN. Absolutely nothing overwater on partners, including NH.
SPN Lifer and sharmaintl like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP's original request was "any city in Asia." From IAD, that's going to include a lot of TATL routes as well as TPAC. However, this summer looks absolutely brutal at the moment; I'm not really seeing much of anything except very scattered dates on Ethiopian via LFW/ADD.
There are some low mileage (82k- 103k OW) routes to SIN/BKK showing up in April on OS and UA+LH. None in June/July. I am hoping some of these will open up when the dates get closer. Nothing on UA showing up under 200k. Not being 1K having access to IN space is going to hurt .
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
NH I space is pretty plentiful about a week out right now. I know making last minute plans isn't the easiest for anyone though.
sharmaintl and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
NH I space is pretty plentiful about a week out right now. I know making last minute plans isn't the easiest for anyone though.
Book a trip in saver economy for the dates you want, then opportunistically change segments to business if/when saver business becomes available.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by boat stuck
Book a trip in saver economy for the dates you want, then opportunistically change segments to business if/when saver business becomes available.
Definitely the best option. I just know there are folks out there who, if they're not flying C, aren't flying at all. It's tough for that bucket of people.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The problem is now all the other segments have to be still available to make the change.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mduell
The problem is now all the other segments have to be still available to make the change.
Sure, but if you book one ways, it's less to need to revalidate. Currently one week out:

SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow you're not kidding.

103.5k miles SFO-BKK. Options via NRT, HND, and FRA (only 87.5k for the NH flights through Aeroplan).
Sure, but if you book one ways, it's less to need to revalidate.
+1 I always always book awards as one ways. You can really wind up regretting booking as a RT because of the difficulty (often impossibility) of making changes.
JayhawkCO likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 30, 2023 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow you're not kidding.

103.5k miles SFO-BKK. Options via NRT, HND, and FRA.

+1 I always always book awards as one ways. You can really wind up regretting booking as a RT because of the difficulty (often impossibility) of making changes.
Also, NH F has been available as well on SFO-HND one week out, but not every day. I haven't seen JFK-HND pop up but did see one one-off ORD-NRT recently.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
This. Unless it's a rare instance where you can use the excursionist perk. Even then, think carefully about it, because the excursionist perk really isn't worth too much.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This. Unless it's a rare instance where you can use the excursionist perk. Even then, think carefully about it, because the excursionist perk really isn't worth too much.
If the Excursionist Perk isnt worth much, youre using it wrong.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Wow you're not kidding.

103.5k miles SFO-BKK. Options via NRT, HND, and FRA (only 87.5k for the NH flights through Aeroplan).

Agreed, there is all upside to booking awards 1-way. A few years ago while on vacation to HKG and Macau, I saw a much better routing show up for the return - lower miles and 1-stop vs 2 - and just rebooked with no issues. Its more challenging to make such changes if the outbound and return are on the same booking and you are already hence mid-trip.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Compared to AA and Delta, 200K for business class on the right day at the right time from the right departure airport is a good deal. AA is 300K - 400K. The flight isn't until next spring so time enough to sort out the options. The creative options are via India or AUH or DOH and 32 hours minimum.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Compared to AA and Delta, 200K for business class on the right day at the right time from the right departure airport is a good deal.
I would call it a less-awful deal, not a good deal.

I've seen some JN to Tokyo in the 100K range, which actually is a good deal in the current environment.

Have NEVER seen award situation so bleak across all carriers.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I would call it a less-awful deal, not a good deal.

I've seen some JN to Tokyo in the 100K range, which actually is a good deal in the current environment.

Have NEVER seen award situation so bleak across all carriers.
Agree -- had to snag two 100k awards from EWR - HND in early September -- the days of sub 100k seem to be over....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.