Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Granted 2023 MP Elite Status even though short of PQP/PQS [actual cases only pls]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Granted 2023 MP Elite Status even though short of PQP/PQS [actual cases only pls]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Anyone called and gotten their 1K extended?

Have a coworker who claims they just called the 1K desk and asked to extend their status for ‘23 and the agent did. Any similar success stories? Wondering what the best approach would be. I’ll be back to spending that kind of money once China lifts quarantine.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I would be highly skeptical of that claim.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Does your coworker have a home address in China? If not, I can't think of a situation where a cold call to UA requesting a status extension would be granted.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by limey1K
I would be highly skeptical of that claim.
Perhaps it was "extended" to January 31, 2023.

I have a hard time believing that 1K agents have been given any sort of authority to extend status.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why stop at 1K? Ask if they'll upgrade you to GS based on your anticipated spend once China reopens . . . .
Old Dec 15, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why stop at 1K? Ask if they'll upgrade you to GS based on your anticipated spend once China reopens . . . .

Why stop at GS? Demand to unlock Chairman's Circle.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Does your coworker have a home address in China? If not, I can't think of a situation where a cold call to UA requesting a status extension would be granted.
Plus, can an agent actually extend status? I’d ask for a five year extension.
Naldo1984 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Folks, don't try this at home...
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I demand a flight pass at the same boarding priority as Jeff Smisek.

Becuase of COVID.
EWR764, lsquare and mdtakamine like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Only guess is that they're within shouting distance of PQP and the agent was able to offer the buy-up price for $ to get there (which he or should could do on their own if they wanted to pay the silly premium)? Not even sure if the agents can do that, but would seem to be the only reasonable explanation.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gold23
Only guess is that they're within shouting distance of PQP and the agent was able to offer the buy-up price for $ to get there (which he or should could do on their own if they wanted to pay the silly premium)? Not even sure if the agents can do that, but would seem to be the only reasonable explanation.
I can think of several other explanations.

The one that doesn't involve the credibility of the person who claimed to have had status extended is that there's a corporate relationship involved.
_fx and frutabell like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by msabre7
Have a coworker who claims they just called the 1K desk and asked to extend their status for ‘23 and the agent did.
Of the people that call to get 1K extended even though they didn't requalify even under this year's head start and reduced qualification requirements, I wonder how many will complain that benefits are watered down since they rarely get upgrades due to there being too many premier members.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I think there is a higher chance of being extended if you dress nicely and ask at the gate.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I think there is a higher chance of being extended if you dress nicely and ask at the gate.
Exactly, wear a wedding dress would be my recommendation.
drgreg, marks88 and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:30 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
I've heard multiple anecdotal reports DL is giving out unpublished extensions, so wouldn't be surprised if UA is silently following

Don't believe everything you read on FT. I've seen multiple posters claiming there's "absolutely no extensions being given, so don't even ask." They have no evidence of this, it's just what they want to happen, probably because they already got status and don't want to dilute the pool.

Not here to debate whether this is good/bad, just point out it very likely IS happening, whether people like it or not.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.

Last edited by _fx; Dec 15, 2022 at 3:04 pm Reason: Formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.