Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Allergies and UA's inflight food ingredients / procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2022, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Allergies and UA's inflight food ingredients / procedures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by mlbcard
Yeah. Except for the actual container of nuts they give you and possibly the desserts, the meals seem nutfree. It's nice to verify, though (wish they had an online list like they do for their choice menu).
It's hit and miss. While I haven't seen nuts recently in Polaris meal/Choice/Domestic F options, I recall us flying United internationally a few years ago where the Economy chicken option had cashews.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:36 am

Flying Polaris for the first time with my kid, who's horribly allergic to nuts. How is the flight crew with knowing ingredients/allergens?
Honestly if its a "horirbly allergic" situation bringing your own food is probably the best bet. A restaurant would always want to be given a head up about things. Airlines serve a lot of nuts. Why risk it?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
yeah, I guess "horribly" was a bit of an exaggeration. We've had airline food in the past without issues, but it's always been packaged food with ingredients on them. Cross-contamination isn't an issue, but it'd be a problem is a piece of cashew was hidden in the chicken. Either way, you're right, not worth risking while 30k ft above the Pacific. If there's anything prepackaged, that's great, otherwise, we'll have our own food. I was just hoping, like restaurants (and like their choice menu items), United would be able to tell us what was in their other meals.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I was just hoping, like restaurants (and like their choice menu items), United would be able to tell us what was in their other meals.
The food prep for airlines is done far away from where it is being served, consist of multiple options systemwide and prepared by multiple entities making uniformity a larger challenge.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The food prep for airlines is done far away from where it is being served, consist of multiple options systemwide and prepared by multiple entities making uniformity a larger challenge.
Except some airlines are better than others. With Finnair, JAL, ANA, Air France and Singapore, for example, you can request nutfree meals beforehand.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And, of course, its a legal requirement within the EU to advise customers of allergens on request, so not really difficult for UA to comply.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And, of course, it’s a legal requirement within the EU to advise customers of allergens on request, so not really difficult for UA to comply.
The number of EU departures is a small subset of UA operations and the caterers in EU are set up to do this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA silver
How can I let UA know about a food allergy before flight?

Help needed.
Mrs Man is allergic to milk products. I booked MAN>FRA>IAH>SCL via Expedia in a Polaris P bucket. Lufthansa knew about the allergy but both UA flights had no knowledge. Everything on menu had milk somewhere so two long haul flights in business class meant some fruit and a packet of crisps.
We dont want the same nonsense on the way back in a few weeks so does anyone have an email address we can use? The app doesnt have a function to report allergies.
Many thanks in advance

Last edited by ManInExitRow; Feb 11, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Old Feb 11, 2023, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ManInExitRow
Help needed.
Mrs Man is allergic to milk products. I booked MAN>FRA>IAH>SCL via Expedia in a Polaris P bucket. Lufthansa knew about the allergy but both UA flights had no knowledge. Everything on menu had milk somewhere so two long haul flights in business class meant some fruit and a packet of crisps.
We dont want the same nonsense on the way back in a few weeks so does anyone have an email address we can use? The app doesnt have a function to report allergies.
Many thanks in advance
I'm not sure if there's a more direct way to register a food allergy (I don't know of one), but I would think if you put in a special meal order for Vegan (strict) meal, that it should obviate the milk concern. View your reservation on United.com or in the app to add a special meal request.
trooper and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Call them
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If you're paying for Polaris, a premium product, you would hope they could cater to a special diet.

However...

I highly recommend you guys bring something yourself as a backup. (and honestly, the way UA catering is lately, Mrs. Man will probably have the best meal in the house).
SPN Lifer, chavala and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They dont cater to special situations other than the handful of special meals you can order.
Vegan would seem to be the only option that would be guaranteed non-dairy.
Otherwise bring your own food.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/special.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...allergies.html
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Vegan would seem to be the only option that would be guaranteed non-dairy.
Frankly, I would not risk my health on any airline "guarantee" for an allergen-free meal.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Frankly, I would not risk my health on any airline "guarantee" for an allergen-free meal.
this. I would just buy my own food at airport if I couldnt cook it at home. Airline food is designed to be decent for most pax. Any allergies and such a pax should just bring their own. This is a flight, not a $30 meal at a restaurant. And yes I know that airport food is tricky.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List
Do both - Pre-order the vegan meal, as folks are suggesting, and also bring backup food. My SO has a dairy allergy as well, and on more than one occasion, the requested (and confirmed in writing) vegan meal did not make it on board. Granted, this was on AA, but it’s not like UA is any better at not making mistakes IMO. Although, do send an email to customer service if that happens and you’ll probably get some bonus miles as an apology.
jpezaris, nancypants and WSTC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.