Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Captain Greeting

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My personal experience is the Captain/FO whether I've chatted with them on the plane - on the hotel shuttle - at the hotel - at the airport - etc - are very personable. They don't have time to greet every flight at the door and I don't begrudge them if they don't (please do the checklist and get us out on time) but despite having a very high pressure job (and it is high pressure) are happy to engage in friendly conversation.
My husband requires an aisle-chair assist off of the plane, so I generally have a few minutes to chat up the pilots/FAs, who I find generally are more than happy to engage in small talk about their jobs. One time I think I surprised a NW captain about his change from the normal westbound approach to runway 21R to a landing on 22L while on final. He said there was a report of debris on 21R, so he received approval to land on 22L rather than take a missed approach. I suppose the pilots know there are avgeeks out there among the pax, but there probably aren't too many who will out themselves by commenting on the landing beyond saying, "Smooth landing, captain" on the way out the door.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a similar pilot recently. Also went through the cabin and greeted all the million millers - of which there were several!
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I've seen this a little more lately. That said, it is extremely rare to get recognition on flights to and from Hawaii. It seems the FA's treat it as a leisure route and don't even check to see if they have GS/1K on board. Falls into the very minor category for me, but I'll be curious if I hear anything this week on KOA-DEN and V/V.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I’ve had several recognitions lately on my Mileage Plus 25th year anniversary. Gate agent (on scanning BP), UC agent, and a nice hand written card by the purser on a TPAC.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
That said, it is extremely rare to get recognition on flights to and from Hawaii. It seems the FA's treat it as a leisure route and don't even check to see if they have GS/1K on board. Falls into the very minor category for me, but I'll be curious if I hear anything this week on KOA-DEN and V/V.
I'm recognized nearly 100% of the time to/from HNL and I'm hard pressed to think of a flight I was not on that route.

Granted, I'm 100% of the time in F so that probably has something to do with it.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by prestonh
we had a decent crew last week IAH-IAD. Constant updates (and pilot went out of his way to explain how frustrating it is to not get them even when there is nothing to update). At the end of flight he announced a pilot cleared his final check ride and he met us all at the door as we de-planed. it was sort of a neat deal.
Had something similar happen a few years back, except it was 1) FO 1st revenue flight (who'd be taking us BOS-IAD) and 2) introduced during the pre-brief one-by-one. Pretty cool touch.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Had a similar pilot recently. Also went through the cabin and greeted all the million millers - of which there were several!
I always hear these stories about MM's getting greeted and acknowledged but have never experienced in the now many years I have been a MM. I don't expect Sam Elliot to great me with an Up In The Air moment but I wouldn't mind some minor acknowledgement.
Dyce likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm recognized nearly 100% of the time to/from HNL and I'm hard pressed to think of a flight I was not on that route.

Granted, I'm 100% of the time in F so that probably has something to do with it.
I think that may be because a) you are GS and b) your flights are to/from HNL. I am a lowly 1K traveling to/from the outer islands.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I think that may be because a) you are GS and b) your flights are to/from HNL. I am a lowly 1K traveling to/from the outer islands.
I hear them greet 1K's as well - I actually think the aircraft type has a significant part in this - I'm exclusively on lie-flats to/from HNL and the FA's are hitting up the GS/1K's during boarding for meal orders......
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:32 am

As a pilot for an airline, I'm curious how much of an impact this behavior from the flight deck crew makes on you, the passenger. Is it appreciated? Annoying because you're forced into unsolicited conversation? Do you like the acknowledgement? If I were to take up this routine on flights when I'm able, I'd want my greetings and thankyous to come off sincere. Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DTW_AKL
As a pilot for an airline, I'm curious how much of an impact this behavior from the flight deck crew makes on you, the passenger. Is it appreciated? Annoying because you're forced into unsolicited conversation? Do you like the acknowledgement? If I were to take up this routine on flights when I'm able, I'd want my greetings and thankyous to come off sincere. Thanks!
I'm only a 1K, not a MM'er, but if the Captain were to come to me and say a simple "Hey Mr. Hindle - we really appreciate your loyalty to United and thank you for flying with us. I hope you enjoy the flight".... I'd certainly appreciate it and it'd make me feel special.

Flip side? I was on a regional flight yesterday where the FA was extremely friendly and talked to the 4 1Ks who were on the flight. She must have spent 5 minutes trying to extend the conversation with me and my father when I just wanted to go back to my Netflix show.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I feel that it is only positive. It makes me feel like my business is appreciated by the carrier and crew. Frankly I wish I flew on your next flight with that attitude, it is commendable.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
As a pilot for an airline, I'm curious how much of an impact this behavior from the flight deck crew makes on you, the passenger. Is it appreciated? Annoying because you're forced into unsolicited conversation? Do you like the acknowledgement? If I were to take up this routine on flights when I'm able, I'd want my greetings and thank yous to come off sincere. Thanks!
Yes please! About 3 years ago on a flight from SAN-DEN, the pilot came out and gave a pre-flight briefing to those of us in FC that included an 8.5 X 11 map of our route and areas of weather, way points, possible turbulence, flight levels, etc, etc. Very well done and it was fun to have some interaction with the folks up front. I think I still have the map somewhere in my desk at the office. Your interaction doesn't have to be that involved, but coming out and saying hi and we appreciate your business is always a good thing to do if you have the time.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
i would personally not take it as insincere since you are 1) making an effort 2) taking the time in what is already a busy day (when you could be doing other things such as relaxing or prepping) 3) showing an interest in your pax/customer. Forced? not how I would take it (unless i was in a conversation/on the phone and was interrupted,etc). It just comes across as a flight crew having an interest in their passenger(s) which is appreciated. It's not like you are calling to remind me about my car's extended warranty...
Old Dec 9, 2022, 11:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Please do! I still remember the one time the captain greeted most of us Polaris passengers on one of the SIN flights pre-Covid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.