Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Business v UA Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

How timely: an article entitled "Lufthansa Business Class Is Falling Apart" can be found here
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
How timely: an article entitled "Lufthansa Business Class Is Falling Apart" can be found here
Yeah I read that article -- it failed to mention that those A340's have been parked in the Spanish countryside since the beginning of COVID and are being phased back in -- no excuses for something like a broken controller but LH is scrambling like everyone else since coming out of COVID.... These were older planes to begin with -- I used to fly them all the time to Bahrain (and loved the upgradability to F) -- and they were definitely showing their age in 2019....
Old Dec 5, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I buy business class so I don't have to sit next to anyone else. So LH is out, and LX is mostly out unless I can get a single seat. Of course if I'm traveling with a companion, that's different.
Correct! Buy UA for the seat or LH for food, drink and service...
MarkyMarc and perkele like this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seanp7
UA, for the seat. By a mile. LH’s food and service are better but not great. I don’t fly biz for the food.
Agree 100%.

I've flown both this year (A359 on LH, 763 a few times and 77W once on UA) and agree with the sentiment entirely. The Polaris lounge helps balance things out, at least on the outbound when you can eat at the lounge before boarding and then sleep straight away. On the return the LH J service and food make it better but I found the seat to be uncomfortable less than halfway through the flight back to IAD plus the IFE quality (both screen and content) was a lot worse than UA
seanp7 and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
General consensus is that the food and service on LH is better but the seat on UA is better. Personally I go out of my way to avoid the 787s, but I love A350s.
What is it about B787s (UAs / any) that makes you avoiding it at all cost?
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am not a fan of LH. Seat is terrible and yes food is better than UA but not sure that compensate for the seat and IFE.

A350 clearly is a nicer aircraft than the 787 in terms of passenger comfort. My data point is based on multiple 787 and A350 flights across multiple airlines and alliances. Would I avoid 787? No. Would I prefer A350, yes. For example, between SQ 787 and SQ 350 flown on the same route, I’d pick A350.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I have flown LH a lot this year in long haul J...their A350 and 747.

LH has 5 new 787's they bought on a deal from Boeing that were going to go to HU that have all-aisle access, as well as 4 former PR A350's that have an updated business class seat with all-aisle access. Unless you are lucky to get one of those. all of Lufthansa's J is stuck in the past in 2-2-2 configurations.

I prefer flying in the 747 J (upstairs, of course) to the cramped A350 seats. Fantastic food and soft product on LH, however. Almost makes it worth suffering in the seat.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Agree with others, UA for the seat, LH for the catering. I did an LH flight last month (A350, my first long-haul with them in a while) and honestly didn't think the seat was that bad. My only real complaint was that it was obviously worn out - tray kept getting jammed, remote was touchy, etc. Admittedly it was a daytime flight and I was in the middle pair of seats. The food wasn't amazing even but the presentation was far better with a proper menu that included a wine list, seperate courses, etc. Not to mention that you get a full serving.

I'm doing my next two EU-US flights on United, but only because there weren't any good LH flight options - I'm not taking a risky 1-hour connection in FRA just for a somewhat better flight experience.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am not a fan of LH. Seat is terrible and yes food is better than UA but not sure that compensate for the seat and IFE.

A350 clearly is a nicer aircraft than the 787 in terms of passenger comfort. My data point is based on multiple 787 and A350 flights across multiple airlines and alliances. Would I avoid 787? No. Would I prefer A350, yes. For example, between SQ 787 and SQ 350 flown on the same route, I’d pick A350.
Bolding is mine. I was curious as to the other person who asserted he avoided 787s at all costs. Now I see your post. What is it specifically about passenger comfort that is so far superior on the A350 than the 787?

Last edited by dcpdxtrans; Dec 6, 2022 at 10:31 am Reason: actually bolding
Old Dec 6, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Bolding is mine. I was curious as to the other person who asserted he avoided 787s at all costs. Now I see your post. What is it specifically about passenger comfort that is so far superior on the A350 than the 787?
I wondered too as LH just got their first 787's and UA doesn't have any A350's.

Edit: I see he was talking about other airlines. I quite like the 787, but I am biased as it is manufactured in my hometown.

Last edited by AsiaTravel2019; Dec 6, 2022 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
How do you explain a shared footsie footwall? The picture looks terrible
That is the case on the 747-8, but honestly it looks worse than it is. I've never had a problem with "footsie". On all other planes, they have now changed the design to where there is only one footwell per person separated by the screen/seatback of the person in front.
cricketer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:43 am

My last TATL i did SFO-FRA on united and FRA-SFO on LH. Polaris seat is much better. LH soft product better, but in J I'd characterize as less bad, not actually good and certainly not what i optimize for. If GS qualification wasn't an issue, i'd choose LH only with an almost certain upgrade to F (which, unlike J, is actually an amazing soft product experience) or if I really really had a hankering to fly in the bubble on a 747.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
A350 is 5 inches wider (and maybe slightly quieter).
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
A350 is 5 inches wider (and maybe slightly quieter).
I'm not sure how the cabin width of an airplane that differs by only 5" (or 2.1%) impacts anyone's flying experience, whether Y or J. If materially quieter, that is something different.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
That is the case on the 747-8, but honestly it looks worse than it is. I've never had a problem with "footsie". On all other planes, they have now changed the design to where there is only one footwell per person separated by the screen/seatback of the person in front.
That's not totally correct, LH A350 center seats still have foot rest next to each other. I was woken up by my neighbor twice on a recent trip because his knee kept hitting me when he twisted and turned. I think A330 center seats as well.

The choice on LH is either play footsies with neighbor or climb over passenger (or have passenger climb over you).

I'm not sure how the cabin width of an airplane that differs by only 5" (or 2.1%) impacts anyone's flying experience, whether Y or J. If materially quieter, that is something different.
Probably because people are larger than average and require more width and shoulder room. To me, as average size person, 787 vs A350 makes no material difference. Not saying there is none, as in UA Polaris 787 vs 777 do feel different, but makes no difference to my sitting and sleeping and flying experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.