Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Business v UA Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by perkele (Post # 39)
flew LH J this week, for the first time in years. EWR > MUC. . . .

since they don't have individual aisle access, i prefer the middle seats. at least overnight where i don't want to be climbing/climbed over during sleeping hours. (ofc the shared "footsie" ottoman is weird)
Thank you for the tremendous insight provided by this photograph into the LH J (Lufthasa business class) aisle-aisle "Footsie seats", for those of us who have not earned Premier Qualifying Points (PQP) or redeemed UA miles or Plus Points (PP) on LH.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm sure my better half and I would enjoy some eastbound night time footsie. 💚 ✈️
​​​​​​
But I value lifetime UA miles more.
perkele, VRFast and Abhishek Amit like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I would pick UA as well. LH long-haul catering really isn’t much better than UA.
LOL, good one.
perkele likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato
The food is more than slightly better, it's vastly better. If you care about wine, of course, that is vastly better too.

But the service is the biggest difference. As an earlier poster mentioned, the LH FAs don't disappear after the meal service only to materialize right before the plane lands. They accommodate your pace, rather than rushing you so they can go back to their games in the galley.

I can't count the number of times UA flight attendants have whisked away my tray before I was done. Or the times they've ended their service when the plane was over an hour away from the destination. If you keep in mind that it's all about the employees and not the customer, you will understand United service.

LH First and Biz are like going to an elegant European restaurant, whereas United is more like a cheap diner.

I was probably a bit harsh to say slightly better, but still don’t think it’s very good. Still wouldn’t go to any restaurant on ground with LH quality food. To be clear, I’m not saying UA food is good - it’s borderline inedible. Service is also better on LH but I’ve honestly rarely had terrible service on UA - it’s more informal than LH but generally I find most flight attendants have been friendly and trying to provide good service at least within limits of what is catered
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:14 pm

I’m truly shocked by some of the opinions here.

While the UA Polaris seat is better than LHs because of the all aisle access, the LH seat isn’t terrible. It is very comfortable and I sleep well on it.

Honestly I have to go with LH on the overall experience of business class. I buy Business Class not just for the seat but also for the service and meals. And I’m sorry UA is really terrible here.

On a recent 15 hour Polaris flight the FAs took my meal order and then gave me all my food at once. The nuts, beverage, appetizer, main course, and bread all served together. This is really not ok.

On LH recently, I was given a menu after takeoff. There was a proper beverage service with hot nuts. After this, they came through again and served us one of 3 cold appetizers on a tray with a salad. More beverages served. Then warm bread served from a bread basket. Once done they came by again for main course with more drinks. After this it was dessert / cheese with more beverages including coffee, cognac, and port.

The fact that UAs meals have still not returned to pre-pandemic levels is unfathomable. On my recent UA flight there was no hot towel service (which I’ve read are now returning), there was no beverage / warm nut service. There was no warm bread / garlic bread served from a basket. There is no salad and appetizer course. (It is either/or, not both). And they aren’t yet doing the dessert cart with sundaes. Although I’ve read this is restarting this month.

To say I was disappointed in UA was an understatement. Aside from the seat there was nothing premium or classy about the experience or soft product. The fact they charge $10,000+ for that is ridiculous.

LH all the way in my book.
restlessinRNO and Imstevek like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by ualboston1k

While the UA Polaris seat is better than LHs because of the all aisle access, the LH seat isn’t terrible. It is very comfortable and I sleep well on it.

Honestly I have to go with LH on the overall experience of business class. I buy Business Class not just for the seat but also for the service and meals. And I’m sorry UA is really terrible here.

On a recent 15 hour Polaris flight the FAs took my meal order and then gave me all my food at once. The nuts, beverage, appetizer, main course, and bread all served together. This is really not ok.

On LH recently, I was given a menu after takeoff. There was a proper beverage service with hot nuts. After this, they came through again and served us one of 3 cold appetizers on a tray with a salad. More beverages served. Then warm bread served from a bread basket. Once done they came by again for main course with more drinks. After this it was dessert / cheese with more beverages including coffee, cognac, and port.

The fact that UAs meals have still not returned to pre-pandemic levels is unfathomable. On my recent UA flight there was no hot towel service (which I’ve read are now returning), there was no beverage / warm nut service. There was no warm bread / garlic bread served from a basket. There is no salad and appetizer course. (It is either/or, not both). And they aren’t yet doing the dessert cart with sundaes. Although I’ve read this is restarting this month.

To say I was disappointed in UA was an understatement. Aside from the seat there was nothing premium or classy about the experience or soft product. The fact they charge $10,000+ for that is ridiculous.

LH all the way in my book.
”EDIT” is your friend! No need to leave 2 lengthy messages correcting spelling/grammar errors and adding editorial changes. Just EDIT the original post.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
UA, for the seat. By a mile. LH’s food and service are better but not great. I don’t fly biz for the food.
FLYMSY and dcpdxtrans like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
”EDIT” is your friend! No need to leave 2 lengthy messages correcting spelling/grammar errors and adding editorial changes. Just EDIT the original post.
I didn’t knowingly post twice. It was a glitch on my smartphone and then there is no way to delete a duplicate post. Thanks to the moderator for deleting the duplicate!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I buy business class so I don't have to sit next to anyone else. So LH is out, and LX is mostly out unless I can get a single seat. Of course if I'm traveling with a companion, that's different.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

How do you explain a shared footsie footwall? The picture looks terrible
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
As someone that is in that LH seat about 4 times per month I agree that the seat isn't bad -- and the food is better on LH (as is the wine). If you are travelling with a partner the footwell isn't an issue -- but I have occasionally been kicked / bumped by accident -- in the real world I guess I would say that it looks worse than it actually in practice works out. With all that said -- I do prefer the PL seat though -- at least for a few more years until the foam padding begins to shrink and harden....
perkele likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It looks extraordinarily silly, but in practice there is still a divider and you usually don't actually touch your seatmate's feet.

The Polaris seat is obviously a better seat, but it's not like the LH footsie seat is torturous. I'd rather sit there than in the "spooning special" E/F seats in UA IPTE J - which it similarly not actually that awful but a silly design that puts you in rather extreme closeness to a neighbor.

The real reason I think the LH seat is so deserving of ridicule is it's strictly worse than the parallel 2-2-2 seat used on their 744.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
As someone that is in that LH seat about 4 times per month I agree that the seat isn't bad -- and the food is better on LH (as is the wine). If you are travelling with a partner the footwell isn't an issue -- but I have occasionally been kicked / bumped by accident -- in the real world I guess I would say that it looks worse than it actually in practice works out. With all that said -- I do prefer the PL seat though -- at least for a few more years until the foam padding begins to shrink and harden....
Yes, it's not remotely as bad as it looks. The footwells in many staggered or reverse herringbone configurations are similarly close - there's just a physical divider extending all the way. I've flown on this a fair bit (not 4x per month, more like 8x per year!!), and the only time I've had an issue was with a larger gentleman whose knees hit me a couple of times. Admittedly that was irritating, but at the end of the day for me, I sleep uninterrupted on those seats, so don't have a problem with them.

Originally Posted by findark
It looks extraordinarily silly, but in practice there is still a divider and you usually don't actually touch your seatmate's feet.

The Polaris seat is obviously a better seat, but it's not like the LH footsie seat is torturous. I'd rather sit there than in the "spooning special" E/F seats in UA IPTE J - which it similarly not actually that awful but a silly design that puts you in rather extreme closeness to a neighbor.

The real reason I think the LH seat is so deserving of ridicule is it's strictly worse than the parallel 2-2-2 seat used on their 744.
On this last comment - the 744 has 2-3-2 and one pair in the center 3 does have the footsie arrangement. The 748 with just two in the center has markedly wider footwells and those are the best if you don't care about a window and discount the upper deck. It is clear that once LH rolled this out on the 748, they heard the feedback and adjusted the design as you see on almost all other aircraft that were subsequently retrofitted.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cricketer
On this last comment - the 744 has 2-3-2 and one pair in the center 3 does have the footsie arrangement. The 748 with just two in the center has markedly wider footwells and those are the best if you don't care about a window and discount the upper deck. It is clear that once LH rolled this out on the 748, they heard the feedback and adjusted the design as you see on almost all other aircraft that were subsequently retrofitted.
Oh you're completely right.

I only fly on the UD
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA CK; UA 1K
The question I struggle with is whether UA is better enough to justify an extra connection. I'm based out of LAX so flying on UA metal almost always adds an extra segment to the trip or a connection in LHR (which IMO is much worse than connecting in FRA or MUC).
SS255 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by laxflyer47
The question I struggle with is whether UA is better enough to justify an extra connection. I'm based out of LAX so flying on UA metal almost always adds an extra segment to the trip or a connection in LHR (which IMO is much worse than connecting in FRA or MUC).
Amen to this. LAX-FRA/MUC/ZRH on UA metal is one of my eternal but relatively futile hopes. A second LAX-LHR is better than nothing, but nowhere near the value a direct connection to a European *A hub would've added.
cesco.g, SS255 and tcdtcd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.