Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
2023 Program changes communicated to MileagePlus members

As travel resumes to pre-pandemic levels, we are updating our qualification requirements to ensure that the Premier program is best situated to deliver for our most loyal customers. Our 2023 Premier program gives members even more opportunities to achieve and upgrade Premier status and is designed to provide valuable benefits for all Premier members. And remember — the MileagePlus® Premier® program, unlike some other loyalty programs, has no distance requirement to reach status. You might not know how far you’ll fly in 2023, so rest easy knowing you can qualify for Premier status with just Premier qualifying points (PQP), or a combination of Premier qualifying flights (PQF) and PQP. Also, your eligible United℠ MileagePlus credit card can help get you there.

Here are some of the key changes we’re making for 2023:
  • We’re changing our standard requirements for every Premier level back to January 2020 levels.
  • We’re automatically depositing Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on the 2023 Premier status you hold at the end of 2022, giving eligible Premiers a head start towards hitting the PQP requirement for their status level.
  • We are providing a new path to earn towards Premier status by giving qualifying credit when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express.
  • The United MileagePlus Quest and Club Infinite cards are getting anincrease to the maximum PQP that may be earned in a calendar year, and the total PQP members can earn across their cobranded cards is also increasing.
  • Premier 1K members will earn incremental PlusPoints for every 3K PQP earned beyond 18K PQP once they meet the published requirements for 1K status.
  • All redeposit fees associated with cancelling award travel have been removed.
For more information on these changes, and to learn more about our MileagePlus program, visit www.united.com/mpnews.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The email was just dropped. Here's the summary:
  • Increased PQP qualification levels

• Jump start PQP based on status level - 500/1000/1500/2500 for Silver/Gold/Plat/1K
  • PQP for Award travel, at 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed + PQF
  • Increased credit card PQP earning cap
  • Removal of award ticket redeposit fees
​​​​​​​
MileagePlus # XXXXX010
Updates to the 2023
MileagePlus Premier Program

For the past two years, we adjusted our MileagePlus® Premier® program requirements to reflect the frequency of travel during uncertain times. With travel now in full swing, our standard qualification requirements are returning. But we are giving you a boost and adding new qualifying activities to our 2023 MileagePlus Premier program to make achieving your status goals even easier.

Jumpstart your PQP balance: We're giving you a head start on your status goals to make retaining or upgrading status easier. In early 2023, we'll automatically deposit PQP into your MileagePlus account based on the 2023 Premier status you reached at the end of 2022. Eligible members will enjoy this head start toward status in 2024 as well.

Qualifying with award tickets: An exciting change we are making in 2023 is that when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express you will now earn Premier qualifying credits. Eligible award flights will help you achieve status with 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed, as well as 1 PQF per United or United Express flight.

Increased credit card PQP caps: For 2023, the maximum PQP able to be earned will double for the United Quest card from 3,000 to 6,000 PQP and for the United Club Infinite card from 4,000 to 8,000 PQP. Eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers will continue to earn 500 PQP per $12,000 spent. The maximum number of PQP that can be earned on eligible card spend in a calendar year across multiple credit cards has increased from 5,000 PQP to 15,000 PQP, making it even easier to reach Premier status goals through card spend.*

Award ticket redeposit fee removal: All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed so you have more choice and control over managing plans.

Earn more PlusPoints: United is the only U.S. global airline that allows you to earn unlimited extra upgrade points after reaching the highest published status level. Eligible members will enjoy earning incremental PlusPoints with 20 additional PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQP earned beyond 18,000 PQP (starting at 21,000 PQP) once they have met the published Premier 1K requirements in 2023.
Print Wikipost

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
For more?
I was thinking more, "thank you sir may I have another"

Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
For more?
Exchanging PQF for PQP, or vv. The other poster has more PQP, and I have more PQF.

Pipe dream, of course.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Exchanging PQF for PQP, or vv. The other poster has more PQP, and I have more PQF.

Pipe dream, of course.
TBH, don't think UA cares at this point for 2024 status - they just want spend in 2023. Obviously, they require fewer PQPs if you fly to 54 or more PQFs but they'll take those who spend to and beyond the 24K PQP line.

David
Old Jul 24, 2023, 1:33 am

Programs: UAL
I absolutely love the United international staff and the lie flat seats for long haul. The schedule for transpac and tatl works well for me. Status happens either organically or not, I don't chase it. GS def won't happen since there's a few downsides as well and I take other airlines because of it. Minor peeves are the food and cleanliness of the cabin. More importantly is price, UA is consistenly more expensive than other airlines. Also, Air NZ and Quantas now fly out of NY direct, no more west coast layovers. Lastly, I can't seem to spend my plus points, which I would love to do for vacations or when my travel budget is getting low. I have been giving them away to family and friends, albeit with little success.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Tried to use PPs that will expire next week this past weekend on SFO-CLE-SFO quick flip. Booked a couple months back and PPs applied at booking. As a MP Gold my position on the UG list was laughable. Add this to the fact I seemly can't gain status lately with UA given recent cancel flights we sustained that would have bumped either myself or my wife's status (had to fly other airlines) not too happy right now. We lost a lot of PQPs over the past couple of weeks and UA lost not only our cash but also further eroded what little remaining desire we have at gaining status this year UA. We both still have several UA long hauls coming up and most are paid J so we will see. With SFO as our hub UA is unfortunately the devil we know.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I'd happily trade you PQP for PQF. I'm so tired of adding in extra segments.
Ditto. Will not make 1K this year purely due to the PQF requirement. Being based out of ORD almost everything I do is direct. And at 1K if you don't make PQF credit card is useless for PQM
MsTravelBug likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 2:54 pm

Is it worth it to pay more to reach Platinum status

Looking into booking Business Class flights to IAH in mid November for a Southeast Asia trip with spouse that will end in Phuket. I can book Emirates HKT to IAH via DXB on our preferred date for about $750 a ticket less than I can book anything on United.com flying out of HKT or BKK. If we don't fly this trip home on United, I won't make Platinum for 2024 since all of our travel is booked for the rest of this year. We've never flown on Emirates. I have stayed loyal to United for years and have MM status. What should we do?
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Buckskin
Looking into booking Business Class flights to IAH in mid November for a Southeast Asia trip with spouse that will end in Phuket. I can book Emirates HKT to IAH via DXB on our preferred date for about $750 a ticket less than I can book anything on United.com flying out of HKT or BKK. If we don't fly this trip home on United, I won't make Platinum for 2024 since all of our travel is booked for the rest of this year. We've never flown on Emirates. I have stayed loyal to United for years and have MM status. What should we do?
Well, how much incremental value do you get from Plat vs Gold? If it's >$1500, then go with UA, if not, then EK.
Incremental benefits of Plat over Gold:
1. Access to IN award space
2. 40 pluspoints
3. Increased mile earning multiplier on revenue tickets
4. More checked bags
5. Economy plus for 8 people at booking
6. Higher CPU priority
Some other things as well probably. Obviously assigning a dollar value to these can be difficult, but ultimately the value will differ a lot based on your individual flying habits, and only you can decide what is right for you.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, 8MiHi and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Buckskin
You're already Lifetime Gold. Unless the benefits of pushing to Platinum for one year are worth it, go with EK.

David
Kacee, Repooc17 and Buckskin like this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Apologies if this is the wrong thread - I am considering switching to United as my primary airline as my frequent travel is about to resume after a hiatus. How frequently should a UA Platinum member expect to get complimentary upgrades? My most frequent routes will be from EWR to MCI, DEN, CVG, and DTW, and occasional HPN-ORD.

I used to travel primarily with Delta solely due to my proximity to LGA but I've relocated closer to EWR. I usually spend around 20k a year but these are usually expensive, last-minute, short-haul flights. With SkyMiles I have never been able to get higher than Gold since they require a certain amount of miles traveled or segments for the higher tiers that I can't hit, I also haven't been able to clear via credit card spend since flights have to go on a corporate card. Looking at Mileage Plus, I should be able to qualify for Platinum each year.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Apologies if this is the wrong thread - I am considering switching to United as my primary airline as my frequent travel is about to resume after a hiatus. How frequently should a UA Platinum member expect to get complimentary upgrades? My most frequent routes will be from EWR to MCI, DEN, CVG, and DTW, and occasional HPN-ORD.
Expect? Never. EWR based your percentage is likely to be pretty low - probably under 25%, and maybe under 10%.

Many 1Ks rarely see complimentary upgrades.
jsloan and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

I used to travel primarily with Delta solely due to my proximity to LGA but I've relocated closer to EWR. I usually spend around 20k a year but these are usually expensive, last-minute, short-haul flights. With SkyMiles I have never been able to get higher than Gold since they require a certain amount of miles traveled or segments for the higher tiers that I can't hit, I also haven't been able to clear via credit card spend since flights have to go on a corporate card. Looking at Mileage Plus, I should be able to qualify for Platinum each year.
What Kacee said above. Don't expect a lot of complementary upgrades out of UA hubs during peak hour flying, which is the time you would be flying, I am assuming.

By the way, United has exited HPN, so you would have to fly AA to ORD.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: Continental
As a 1K I can't get an upgrade even if I use points domestically.
Don't expect any as a Plat
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 11:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Apologies if this is the wrong thread - I am considering switching to United as my primary airline as my frequent travel is about to resume after a hiatus. How frequently should a UA Platinum member expect to get complimentary upgrades? My most frequent routes will be from EWR to MCI, DEN, CVG, and DTW, and occasional HPN-ORD. ...
hub-to-hub upgrades for plat would be uncommon and definitely not for peak times. The outstation destinations would have a greater chance especially if not peak times (Sun-Mon-Thu-Fri early mornings, early evenings)

At $20K annual spend, you may be able to qualify for 1K. That would help with the outstation upgrades.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
How frequently should a UA Platinum member expect to get complimentary upgrades? My most frequent routes will be from EWR to MCI, DEN, CVG, and DTW, and occasional HPN-ORD.
I am Platinum for the first time this year but have been Gold in the past. In my experience flying MCI to EWR and back I have a high success rate at upgrades on evening flights but tend to miss out on the daytime flights.
8MiHi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.