Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AA's New Cabin Refresh - Has Polaris Been Left In The Dust?Are seat doors the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA's New Cabin Refresh - Has Polaris Been Left In The Dust?Are seat doors the future?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Doors are pointless hype.

I can't comment on an AA product that is just a rendering, but I significantly prefer the Polaris hard product to anything on a Delta plane today and I have no love of herringbone designs in general, which AA looks to be. Honestly if UA could magically fix its soft product it could be a world-class carrier. The Polaris seat is excellent and even manages that in a fairly dense format, helping support UA flying vastly bigger J cabins than its competition, which is great for pax.

I'm anxiously awaiting the end of the industry pendulum swing toward shipping J pax in coffins.
Yes, doors seem primarily appealing to people who haven’t flown with them.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The Polaris Cabin is very nice - it is not going to be left in the dust. In my perfect world it would be slightly wider and a couple of inches longer - but you have to work with that thing they call airplane dimensions. It definitely does not need a door.

Good for AA getting new cabins - that only tells me AA was likely overdue for a refresh.

At some point the Polaris cabins will be overdue - but we aren't anywhere near that time.

UA led the way with US carriers on the cabin - as that journey completes - time to invest in food and beverage.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fumje
doors seem primarily appealing to people who haven’t flown with them.
I never have, and they sounds like a terrible idea to me.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764
The fixed wings on the premium economy seat headrests are nice, but other than that, it will have the same dimensions as the current configuration.
I'm not even sure I can say that. The rendering looks awfully similar to the new DL F seat on its 321neos which I have not flown yet but can't say I am looking forward to. The fixed wings are just extra plastic boxing me in, making it harder to converse with my seatmate if (God forbid) I am traveling with a companion, and ironically weight I'm paying to fly. I'm so tired of trying to enclose premium cabin pax in boxes! While there are some even larger "full wall" F suites I feel like it's notable that what sets apart of lot of other 3-class first products is the ability to have an more open, airy cabin due to lack of density.

Speaking of PE, DL has the awkward issue of flying the 350 where it has gone for the inferior 2-4-2 configuration which is alarmingly narrow. UA (and I guess AA) don't have to face that, at least not yet.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
In 4-5 years when AA has the product on a significant majority of their fleet, they'll be incrementally ahead.

Until then, AA is the one with a hodgepodge of inferior products.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by threecap
Leaves Polaris in the dust? I don't see much of a difference in first, except for color scheme and a door? The premium economy product looks the same as Prem Plus with different colors.
AAs new PE seat is the new DL A321 NEO domestic F seat

I'd say the O cabin is where AA could eat our lunch as their new product is an improvement.

Would be a good time for UA to get ahead of the coming O wars (basically, a repeat of the 1990s J wars) and bring back the barcaloungers for O
jamiel likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I will say that as a solo traveler I prefer reverse herringbone seats (similar to what AA currently has and just announced today) over staggered forward-facing seats (like Polaris or DL suites). In the former, half of the seats are superior for a solo traveler (all the window seats), whereas in the latter only a quarter are (every other window seat, i.e., odd numbered window seats in Polaris). Of course, the latter is slightly more dense than the former, but I'm happy to accept slightly increased density if it means marginally more discount J or (gasp) upgrade space.

This is a generic comment about the base seating configuration type, rather than about the specific finishes or specifications an airline might choose to make the seat more or less spacious or luxurious.
PACLipper, SPN Lifer and oopl like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I'll take improvements in on-board food over a door. AA catering is a lot better than UA's in the premium cabins.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
IMO, Polaris seating is great. Odd rows in particular.
Please UA improve the soft product/dining! Appetizer course, Sundae cart, mid flight hot snacks - would be a good start.
I’ll worry about AA new product in 2025. 🙄
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Will take years to swap over and remove first just like UA - by then Polaris will probably have a refresh
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
By 2025 the Polaris 2.0 should be announced too.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: NZ *E
As others have mentioned, the Polaris hard product is a solid offering -- what they really need to focus on is the soft product (bring back the catering they had at initial launch!)
PACLipper, FLYMSY and tcdtcd like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by samjnz
As others have mentioned, the Polaris hard product is a solid offering -- what they really need to focus on is the soft product (bring back the catering they had at initial launch!)
That was an F level service.

WFBF
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no better business class seat comfort and ease of use wise than the reverse herringbone seat as found on CX and AA. Why do airlines have to install all these stupid doors or seats that make you feel like you're sitting in a box rather than just install these simple and functional seats? On some airlines you even need to get up to flip the seat over which is ridiculous.

Polaris is OK but not great. It won't be any better or worse than what DL offers now and what AA will offer in 2024. What AA offers now on some of the 777s with the reverse herringbone is currently the best seat on a US carrier.
econ likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
That was an F level service.

WFBF
Surely you jest!
Yes, the Polaris hard product is very good, and at initial launch the soft product was good! No more!

But it was never near F level. F level is 4-12 pax being taken care of by 1-2 FAs, high end champagne, caviar, balik salmon, notable entree choices. A dwindling breed.

UA needs to focus on getting Polaris soft service back to a semblance of its debut. A solid biz product.
PACLipper, Dyce and oopl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.