Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

first time possibly flying United/Copa...is this a decent itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:19 am
Original Poster

hey guys, trying to find a decent fare from NYC area to Guayaquil during the Christmas holiday 2022. I found a flight round trip from Newark to GYE via PTY, first flight outbound is United, second leg is Copa, and same coming back to Newark. $1353.00 for the fare, plus $150 for the seats. Are there any specific rules for transiting in Panama for 2 American citizens? Yes fully vaccinated and 2 American passports.

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA
I recently flew through PTY to South America and the transit was seamless and the same as if connecting on a domestic flight. No entry requirements as I never entered Panama. The new Copa Club (I had not been since 2018) is a much needed upgrade from the old one.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I fly similar itineraries frequently. It's no big deal, it feels more or less like a domestic transfer in the USA. You get off your UA flight in PTY, walk to the gate of your CM flight, and carry onward to Ecuador. No immigration/customs/security in PTY for transfers. They will check your docs at checkin in EWR, but beyond that, nothing. Sounds like you got a good one-stop itinerary at a decent price. If it were me, I'd book it

The old Copa Club was not great... I started a thread about it's lack of food: COPA PTY lounge has nothing to eat?

My last transit through there was in July. Since then the new Copa Club has opened and I hear it is much better.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
I fly similar itineraries frequently. It's no big deal, it feels more or less like a domestic transfer in the USA. You get off your UA flight in PTY, walk to the gate of your CM flight, and carry onward to Ecuador. No immigration/customs/security in PTY for transfers. They will check your docs at checkin in EWR, but beyond that, nothing. Sounds like you got a good one-stop itinerary at a decent price. If it were me, I'd book it

The old Copa Club was not great... I started a thread about it's lack of food: COPA PTY lounge has nothing to eat?

My last transit through there was in July. Since then the new Copa Club has opened and I hear it is much better.
oh ok. im thinking about this route, but with the added price of the seats, its almost equaling the price of the direct jetblue, so now im not sure honestly...
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by michael1023
oh ok. im thinking about this route, but with the added price of the seats, its almost equaling the price of the direct jetblue, so now im not sure honestly...
Nonstop flight always beats the connection flights. B6 also has good service. Go for it.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Nonstop flight always beats the connection flights. B6 also has good service. Go for it.
Agreed here!

For me the game changer would be my UA 1K and *G on CM. In case of IRROPS I know I'll be well taken care of, whereas with B6 I'd be at the back of the bus in a middle seat next to the lav on a flight a day later if anything happens.

But if I didn't have the 1K/*G handcuffs, a direct flight on B6 is a no-brainer.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Since your profile says you're in NY, I'm fly non-stop out of a NY airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.