Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If and when Polaris Lounges re-open, should access be expanded? GS, transcons, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If and when Polaris Lounges re-open, should access be expanded? GS, transcons, ...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
NO, keep it exclusive for those that pay for the service in their ticket. UA should consider marketing Polaris aircraft on transcon. Why not, it would make $$. No free upgrades on transcon Polaris flights, make it exclusive.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jadedinsider
NO, keep it exclusive for those that pay for the service in their ticket. UA should consider marketing Polaris aircraft on transcon. Why not, it would make $$. No free upgrades on transcon Polaris flights, make it exclusive.
There's already no free upgrades on Premium Transcons and they get UC access. Average Premium Transcon seat doesn't garner near the average airfare a current Polaris route seat does and UA can't raise transcon fares due to competition. Polaris Lounges already get crowded at times and you want to add to crowd??? Adding transcon crowd to crowded PLs hardly seems like "making it exclusive".

This is old thread - PLs are open, as pointed out below…

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 1, 2022 at 12:53 pm
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jadedinsider
If and when Polaris Lounges re-open,
All the PLs have re-opened
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If they added J passengers on TCONs it would add far too many people to the lounges, especially because of the number of widebodies they are using on the route right now.

That said, I would be curious how busy a Polaris lounge like EWR is in the morning hours. The only Asia TCON at this point is to NRT, so I would think that the lounge could probably sustain (for now) morning passengers to LAX and SFO. But my hunch is that UA doesn't want to offer a benefit they would have to take away if/when more TPAC flying ex-EWR comes back. One can dream but I would like to see UA consider routes like EWR-ICN and EWR-TPE if flying to mainland China remains uncertain. If they did something like, I would think that (assuming routes like that were daytime departures) the Polaris lounge would be in decent use.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
....That said, I would be curious how busy a Polaris lounge like EWR is in the morning hours.....
Providing intermittent/contingent Polaris Lounge access to J transcon passengers would present a huge problem to the entry agents: "I would have been here at the 10am cutoff if I didn't stop to pick up the old lady in her wheelchair that I knocked over running to get here". The whining and moaning heaped onto the entry agents would be epic. Plus a "sometimes you get Polaris Lounce access, sometimes not" probably isn't good for Premium Transcon consistency.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 1, 2022 at 5:35 pm
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
If they added J passengers on TCONs it would add far too many people to the lounges, especially because of the number of widebodies they are using on the route right now.

That said, I would be curious how busy a Polaris lounge like EWR is in the morning hours. The only Asia TCON at this point is to NRT, so I would think that the lounge could probably sustain (for now) morning passengers to LAX and SFO. But my hunch is that UA doesn't want to offer a benefit they would have to take away if/when more TPAC flying ex-EWR comes back. One can dream but I would like to see UA consider routes like EWR-ICN and EWR-TPE if flying to mainland China remains uncertain. If they did something like, I would think that (assuming routes like that were daytime departures) the Polaris lounge would be in decent use.
Not very busy. There is some traffic from SA connecting pax. Before pandemic, with EWR-HKG/PEK/etc running, it was still not very busy (nothing like the afternoon TATL rush).

I think it would be tricky and not worthwhile to try some kind of flex solution. Access rules for lounges are already complicated enough.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Bad idea and suggestion to allow passengers into Polaris Lounges without flying Polaris cabins internationally.

Over crowding and long wait to the dinning rooms have already made the experience less desirable at certain times of the day across the system.
SPN Lifer and jpezaris like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:16 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Remember there will be pax in TCON J who’ll have Polaris access by virtue of their connections so the question really is how many MORE TCON J pax will have access.

Assuming capacity can support it, UA may want to allow 3pm and later west coast departures to the SFO/LAX PLs under “sleeper service” or something so PAXs could eat in the ground and maximize sleep on red eyes.

But as UA_Flyer notes I say this cautiously with the assumption UA can open up PL access when there’s excess capacity in the PLs.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Assuming capacity can support it, UA may want to allow 3pm and later west coast departures to the SFO/LAX PLs under “sleeper service” or something so PAXs could eat in the ground and maximize sleep on red eyes.

But as UA_Flyer notes I say this cautiously with the assumption UA can open up PL access when there’s excess capacity in the PLs.
I don't think it would be practical to allow access only at certain times. It's too fine a distinction for most pax and you'd get a bunch of really angry customers turned away during the "not allowed" times.

I don't really fly UA premium t-cons, so don't really have a dog in this fight. But I will say that FLL access at JFK is one of the reasons I've gravitated to AA for premium t-cons.
SPN Lifer and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
We had this discussion a long time ago and the strong consensus was this was a bad idea. Polaris lounges are already packed, adding more eligible customers would further dilute the experience.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:48 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Kacee
But I will say that FLL access at JFK is one of the reasons I've gravitated to AA for premium t-cons.
You and me both; also a nod to FFD too at JFK for paid F.

As far as the confusion aspect that’s why I spitballed “sleeper” service - to make a way to help customers distinguish what they’re buying.

I guess as an aside and for curiosity’s sake, when do PLs peak?
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
As I've said regarding long haul Hawaii, do what AA does for those (except for paid "F"). Allow Polaris lounge access but NOT to the dining room.

Domestic Polaris routes (long haul HI and premium transcon) should get Polaris Lounge access but not to the restaurant
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Domestic Polaris routes (long haul HI and premium transcon) should get Polaris Lounge access but not to the restaurant
There is no "domestic Polaris". Polaris is not defined by the hardware.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
We are all asking the wrong question -- the right question is why does UA offer such awful lounge options to its "premium" customers that aren't on "Polaris" flights -- if LH an SQ and so many others can figure this out - why can't UA? I'll take a Senator lounge anywhere in the world over a United club lol -- this isn't rocket science....
tcdtcd, VRFast and dw like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There is no "domestic Polaris". Polaris is not defined by the hardware.
you know I meant if there were to be domestic Polaris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.