Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA cancels “duplicate” reservation -- due to another passenger with same name / info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA cancels “duplicate” reservation -- due to another passenger with same name / info

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Flying (or was flying) YVR-SFO-HNL in F next Friday. Apparently some bozo has my same name and DOB on the SFO- HNL leg and is traveling w/ a “Victoria” and is actually connecting in HNL to another island - not sure where couple is originating.

UA cancelled my reservation yesterday and agent I spoke to figured out what the issue was and put me back on my original flights - my original seat on a full 319 a/c, but I lost my 4L seat on a 777HD and now (or was) stuck in the middle.

Got a second cancellation notice a couple of hours ago and had to send a email to United. No cell service and messaging not working from here. Will try again in Ketchikan tomorrow.

I’m afraid I’ll lose my F seat to SF and move deeper into the middle seats of the HNL flight.

Agent said they (she and supervisor) put notes in reservation, but I guess they didn’t get read

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 10, 2022 at 9:10 pm
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Wild. Maybe just use have the agent change your DoB to avoid another cancellation?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
The chances that you would have the same name and DOB as another passenger has got to be so small, maybe you should buy a lottery ticket. UA’s computers are so hyper aggressive at cancelling flights, I don’t think notes in the record will do anything.
Xyzzy, fastair, cscasi and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
IAH-OIL-TRASH is a fairly common name, I'm surprised this hasn't happened to you before

-m
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you get them to just cancel the other guy's flight? I think they owe it to you at this point. 😈
JHL, LarryJ, kilo and 17 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
.......Agent sait they (she and supervisor) put notes in reservation, but I guess they didn’t get read
Nothing get read as cancellation was done by computer.

Looks like UA computer cancels the PNR which was booked later. You should know enough to cancel IAH-OIL-TRASH-2's PNR. You can book your PNR afterward. IAH-OIL-TRASH-2 can call to reticket PNR but computer will cancel his now.

Seriously, UA needs to fix this problem. There are passengers with the same name/DoB on the same flight.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
This makes zero sense -- PNR's are not generated based on DOB / name -- something else must be going on.... I don't believe that the UA duplicate reservation police are this sophisticated at all lol -- as it is so easy for them to see which account booked the reservation....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Sep 10, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
This makes zero sense -- PNR's are not generated based on DOB / name -- something else must be going on....
UA system checks overlapping PNRs by name/DoB. I had PNR cancelled by UA even though they were different routing on adjacent dates with no duplicate flights. One of which did not have my MP number. They did have the same O/D.

Perhaps IAH-OIL-TRASH can try variations of name?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
UA system check overlapping PNRs by name/DoB. I had PNR cancelled by UA even though they were different routing on adjacent dates with no duplicate flights. One of which did not have my MP number. They did have the same O/D.

Perhaps IAH-OIL-TRASH can try variation of names?
But they also know the account that booked them -- if you are right UA is dumber than most... Thank goodness my name isn't Michael Smith....
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I recently got an email (auto-generated) warning me about overlapping flights and warning one would be canceled. I’ll see if I can find it and screenshot it here.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
Can you get them to just cancel the other guy's flight? I think they owe it to you at this point. 😈
I’m almost thinking he’s a GS
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I recently got an email (auto-generated) warning me about overlapping flights and warning one would be canceled. I’ll see if I can find it and screenshot it here.
I get those too when I've got two potential business trips -- but I've assumed it is because they can see the account that booked it -- which is easy to do -- thus my doubt that UA itself could be doing this -- maybe they've hired a new "security" partner that doesn't get todays world?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
This makes zero sense -- PNR's are not generated based on DOB / name -- something else must be going on.... I don't believe that the UA duplicate reservation police are this sophisticated at all lol -- as it is so easy for them to see which account booked the reservation....
Once agent and supervisor looked at the reservation, they quickly concluded same name / date of birth on one segment caused the cancellation - so, yes, humans at UA can parse the IT folks’ failures. Looks like the process doesn’t look too deep into the available data. (Like I flew to the Pacific Northwest on the same reservation last Thursday and I might want to get home). But IT looks like it always tries to get the last laugh (by cancelling it twice). I do have a common name - shared by a tight end who played at the University of Hawaii about the same time I went there, and the King Of Pop (now you know).

Looks like UA allows their IT processes to auto-cancel reservations w/o making sure they aren’t duplicate. This is definitely a rare case, though.

Off topic - I did go to the Boeing facility yesterday north of Seattle. Couple of new AA an DL planes parked outside awaiting finishing touches. No UA livery in sight.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 10, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Once agent and supervisor looked at the reservation, they quickly concluded same name / date of birth on one segment caused the cancellation - so, yes, humans at UA can parse the IT folks’ failures. But IT looks like it always tries to get the last laugh (by cancelling it twice). I do have a common name - shared by a tight end who played at the University of Hawaii about the same time I went there, and the King Of Pop (now you know).
LOL -- still no excuse to screw you over! UA should be better than this! And they should restore your seats! In today's environment there is no excuse for this type of profiling -- I think you should point that out to them.... Especially since they definitely know the IP addresses and accounts that booked the tickets... You got screwed over by an automated process designed to save them a few dollars -- except when it goes wrong -- I think the world should know how UA treats its best customers -- and what they think of everyone else....

UA used to be number one for my spend -- but after years of what you've endured -- same as me -- I left -- but I still spend enough to make GS -- but honestly it means nothing now -- it used to be valuable -- but it's not any more to anyone that really travels for a living....
narvik and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Sep 10, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Old Sep 10, 2022, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
The chances that you would have the same name and DOB as another passenger has got to be so small, maybe you should buy a lottery ticket. UA’s computers are so hyper aggressive at cancelling flights, I don’t think notes in the record will do anything.
I didn’t win lottery, but I did win the 3:30pm poker tournament aboard the Celebrity Solstice as I stewed about United’s action that I got notice of about 10 minutes before it started. The cards were better to me than United has been in the last 24 hours

Bad PR for United. All the players heard about it (not by their choice - as long as they had chips, they were stuck listening to me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.