Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience strategy SIN-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Experience strategy SIN-SFO

Will be on UA 28 SIN-SFO in Feb 2023 22:20-21:00 (14h40min). First time in Singapore and Changi. Knowing UA’s soft product in J is inferior but hard product is decent, what is this community’s thoughts about:

- dining/drinks/other faves in Changi (incl. lounge reco)
- sleeping / IFE / stretching / sunlight / pacing on flight

Will be connecting SFO-ORD in UA F (no flatbed) and will access SFO PL till close if arriving on time, possibly ORD PL too on arrival.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rather depends on what you want to do before and after the flight.

In general I prefer to start shifting time zones beforehand, which means pushing your eating and sleeping onto destination time as soon as you can. But if this is purely a leisure trip and you want to enjoy the journey, then go ahead and do whatever appeals in the moment.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
When you arrive in Chicago what do you need to do? Work or go home where you can sleep?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When in Singapore, eat like a Singaporean. Not fancy, but I love Kaya Toast and Kopi - Ya Kun I think still has a location airside, but I'm not sure (I'm sure there's another place or two airside, as well)...there's also one in the basement food court, and another stall at the Kopitoium that is open 24/7, I think - in the public area.

Lounges in Changi, you should probably visit SilverKris lounge if available - It's the business class only lounge for SQ - it's in T3 - not sure if Polaris gives you access or you need to be flying SQ. Would only have access on departure from SIN. Its in T3 (and I've never actually flown UA out of SIN, so not actually sure where they board. There's definitely some mixed reviews in the SQ forum, and I can't compare to Polaris since I have never been, but definitely far superior to any of the other US3 *G lounges I've been to.
nomad420, rt23456p and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Changi is an unreal airport and virtually a shopping mall as well with actually some decent deals. By sleeping I am not sure if you were referring to at Changi but even in the transit area (if you happen to be connecting) they have beds that are better than decent that you can buy by the hour and even full rooms should you desire. You can even get a cocktail and a swim at the Aerotel. There was/is a less expensive place to basically get a bed/room by the hour but I can't remember the name of it, it is in T3 as I recall but someone else I am sure will know.
lsquare and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Before check in have a meal at Jewel and watch the rain vortex light show.

After check in and immigration use the new T3 Silver Kris Lounge. A UA Biz class BP is all you need (don’t use the lounge invite given at check in, that’s inferior)

If connecting in the US to another UA flight do use the Polaris lounge at the connecting airport. The showers at SFO are great! I once added a connection to SMF (v driving) just to use said lounge/shower.
SPN Lifer and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Will be on UA 28 SIN-SFO in Feb 2023 22:20-21:00 (14h40min). First time in Singapore and Changi. Knowing UA’s soft product in J is inferior but hard product is decent, what is this community’s thoughts about:

- dining/drinks/other faves in Changi (incl. lounge reco)
- sleeping / IFE / stretching / sunlight / pacing on flight

Will be connecting SFO-ORD in UA F (no flatbed) and will access SFO PL till close if arriving on time, possibly ORD PL too on arrival.
I flew SIN to SFO last week on UA. The departure gate is in T2 but check-in counter is at T3. Not sure what is going to happen by the time you fly in Feb. Perhaps T2 renovation is done by then. There is nothing at T2 except for the gates. No shops, no lounges, and nothing to see.

At T3, UA provides SAT Premium Lounge passes to Polaris Passengers ( not sure about *A Gold flying economy). There is also a Krisflyer Gold Lounge next to the SAT Lounge.

I used the T3 Silver-kris Lounge as always ( I am PPS with SQ), but my Polaris Boarding pass was sufficient without having to show my PPS card.

Give yourself enough time to travel to T2 from T3 using the train.

I expect T2 will be up and fully operational on Feb, so you may not have to check in at T3. No one knows what the newly renovated T2 will look like and what facility it will have.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:07 pm

If originating at SIN, you can only check-in T- minus3hour , so limited time airside/lounges.

IF you haven't spent much time in SIN, the staff canteen landside or Kopitiam land/airside is open to enjoy the hawker center/food court atmosphere. Otherwise, there is typically okay laksa/chicken rice in the lounges

There's bakkwa stores at changi if you want to get your last snack fixes during flight (meat cannot be brought into USA, so you need to finish before you enter USA customs)
AirbusFan2B and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eat a nice meal downtown and show up 1.5 hours before your flight to check in. Nothing special about the lounges in SIN and the airport is like a luxury shopping mall. If you’re into that then show up early and shop. If not, follow my advice and you’ll get on your plane well fed and ready for a nice sleep.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
If you have a short time in Singapore:

- bountiful breakfast buffet at a 4/5* hotel. Unbelievable.

-chili crab dinner at a seaside or highly rated restaurant

Two best meals in Singapore!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paperwastage
If originating at SIN, you can only check-in T- minus3hour , so limited time airside/lounges.
Is the T-3h check in applicable to UA flights only? What about NH?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Is the T-3h check in applicable to UA flights only? What about NH?
believe NH is still T-3hr currently

UA's restriction is due to some security issue that happened pre-covid and still continues today (UA cant issue mobile boarding passes for SIN, and cant issue paper boarding passes/open checkin until T-3h)

pre-covid, NH (plus many airlines) allowed T-24hr checkin @ SIN (and I've done 11pm for 6am flight), and SQ had T-48h

postcovid, only SQ officially has T-24hr , plus Qantas/Malaysia (only 1-5pm @ Jewel). I believe NH is still T-3hr currently
https://mainlymiles.com/2022/07/03/s...nd-passengers/

even pre-covid, NH relies on common counters (run by SATS or Jewel common checkin) to handle these off-hours checkin. i guess manpower is difficult to find & staff even right now, the Jewel common checkin is a start
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
believe NH is still T-3hr currently

UA's restriction is due to some security issue that happened pre-covid and still continues today (UA cant issue mobile boarding passes for SIN, and cant issue paper boarding passes/open checkin until T-3h)

pre-covid, NH (plus many airlines) allowed T-24hr checkin @ SIN (and I've done 11pm for 6am flight), and SQ had T-48h

postcovid, only SQ officially has T-24hr , plus Qantas/Malaysia (only 1-5pm @ Jewel). I believe NH is still T-3hr currently
https://mainlymiles.com/2022/07/03/s...nd-passengers/

even pre-covid, NH relies on common counters (run by SATS or Jewel common checkin) to handle these off-hours checkin. i guess manpower is difficult to find & staff even right now, the Jewel common checkin is a start
dont know if things have changed since July, but the common checkin at Jewel was most certainly not open when we were there in early July. I also don’t even recall NH’s logo up there as a participating airline - very possible I missed it - I wasn’t paying too much attention since it was closed anyway - there were definitely a few listed. I tend to think I would have noticed since we flew out with NH.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
UA at SIN has always been “special” going back 20+ years - I have a slew of little circle stickers on the back of my expired passport to prove it!
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
When you arrive in Chicago what do you need to do? Work or go home where you can sleep?
Work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.