Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA164 EWR 10:15 PM DXB 7:40 PM next day 772 13 hrs 25 mins Daily (except Sunday 26 March) starting 25 March 2023
UA163 DXB 2:15 AM EWR 9:05 AM 772 14 hrs 50 mins Daily Starting 28 March 2023

United and Emirates Expand Market Presence Through New Agreement
September 14, 2022 Operations

United to launch new nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March of 2023;

United customers can soon connect through Dubai to more than 100 destinations and Emirates customers can more easily fly to nearly 200 U.S cities through Chicago, San Francisco and Houston

CHICAGO and DUBAI, Sept. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United and Emirates announced a historic commercial agreement today that will enhance each airline's network and give their customers easier access to hundreds of destinations within the United States and around the world*.

United will launch a new direct flight between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March 2023 – from there, customers can travel on Emirates or its sister airline flydubai to more than 100 different cities. Tickets for United's new Dubai flight are now on sale.

Starting in November, Emirates customers flying into three of the nation's biggest business hubs – Chicago, San Francisco and Houston – will have access to nearly 200 U.S. cities in the United network – most of which only require a one-stop connection. At eight other U.S. airports served by Emirates – Boston, Dallas, LA, Miami, JFK, Orlando, Seattle and Washington DC – both airlines will have an interline arrangement in place.

United and Emirates announced their agreement today at a ceremonial event at Dulles International Airport, hosted by United CEO Scott Kirby and Emirates President Sir Tim Clark, featuring United and Emirates Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and flight crews from each carrier.

"This agreement unites two iconic, flag carrier airlines who share a common commitment to creating the best customer experience in the skies," said United CEO Scott Kirby. "United's new flight to Dubai and our complementary networks will make global travel easier for millions of our customers, helping boost local economies and strengthen cultural ties. This is a proud moment for both United and Emirates employees, and I look forward to our journey together."

"Two of the biggest, and best-known airlines in the world are joining hands to fly people better to more places, at a time when travel demand is rebounding with a vengeance. It's a significant partnership that will unlock tremendous consumer benefit and bring the United Arab Emirates and the United States even closer," said Sir Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline. "We welcome United's return to Dubai next year, where our hub Dubai essentially becomes a gateway for United to reach Asia, Africa and the Middle East via the combined network of Emirates and flydubai. We look forward to developing our partnership with United for the long term."

Soon customers of both airlines can book these connecting flights on a single ticket – making check-in and luggage transfer faster and easier. For example – travelers will be able to visit United.com or use the United app to book a flight from Newark/New York to Karachi, Pakistan or go to Emirates.com to book a flight from Dubai to Atlanta or Honolulu.

This agreement will also give the loyalty program members of both airlines more opportunities for more rewards: United MileagePlus® members flying on United's Newark/New York to Dubai flight can soon earn and redeem miles when connecting beyond on Emirates and flydubai and Emirates Skywards members will be able to earn miles when they travel on United operated flights. Eligible United customers will also soon have access to Emirates lounges when connecting to and from United's new Dubai flight.

Both airlines have recently announced significant investments in the customer experience. Emirates will retrofit more than 120 aircraft as part of a $2 billion effort that includes elevated meal choices, a brand-new vegan menu, a 'cinema in the sky' experience, cabin interior upgrades, and sustainable choices. At United, the airline will add 500 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft to its fleet with a focus on a new signature interior that includes seat-back screens in every seat, larger overhead bins, Bluetooth connectivity throughout, and the industry's fastest available in-flight WiFi.

* Codeshare activities and United's new flight to Dubai are subject to government approvals.

Originally Posted by TerryK
EK lounge is accessible by passengers seated in UA Polaris only. No UC members, no *G members, no waitlisted for Polaris and no guest.
per UA
Emirates Business Class Lounge
Eligibility
  • United Polaris® business class customers

​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
How about the reverse. Arriving via UA then connecting to FlyDubai in Y? connecting T3 to T2
Also, I'm not clear what comes with the fare in terms of seat selection, baggage allowance, carry on, meals, (lounge), etc.
If I type in the FlyDubai confirmation number, it tells me to goto UA so I can't view any details from the Flydubai side.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just reporting back since no one answered and someone might be curious.
After arrival, its a long walk. You have to go through a light security check, then there is a shuttle to T2. Then there is ANOTHER security check, I guess this is the real one. The terminal is like a typical LCC terminal but there is a lounge. Food is pretty good. Atmosphere is stuffy and uncomfortable.
It took me exactly an hour. The extremely slow bus ride itself took 30min alone.
cesco.g, Xyzzy and ft4lyf like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
Departing out of DXB in a few days and will arrive at the airport about 6 hours earlier than my flight (driving from another emirate). Departing on United Polaris Business.

1) Will I be able to check in? Will I be allowed to enter the lounge that early?
2) If not, is there a place I can just drop my carry on baggage? Perhaps there's a lounge outside of security to drop my bags. If not, any suggestion for a secure place I can pay to store my luggage? I plan to head into Dubai and do some shopping after dropping my luggage off.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zoltar
Departing out of DXB in a few days and will arrive at the airport about 6 hours earlier than my flight (driving from another emirate). Departing on United Polaris Business.

1) Will I be able to check in? Will I be allowed to enter the lounge that early?
2) If not, is there a place I can just drop my carry on baggage? Perhaps there's a lounge outside of security to drop my bags. If not, any suggestion for a secure place I can pay to store my luggage? I plan to head into Dubai and do some shopping after dropping my luggage off.
The answer to the first question is no. If you’re on United, check-in opens three hours before departure. Of course. If you’re not checking baggage (which doesn’t apply here) and you can check-in online, as long as you’re not preselected for additional screening, you’re fine. I’ve never had an issue getting into a lounge early.

I’ve no idea about storage for a bag.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Sorry for resurrecting a 10+ year old thread, but I can't find another.

I'll be flying UA 163 from DXB-EWR. I see 2 LH lounges in T1 and an Emirates lounge (with no terminal specified) in the UA app. I am Star Alliance Gold, and am in a group of 5. There are 3 of us with Star Alliance GOLD status and 2 with no status. Is there a lounge we can use at T3? If yes, can we guest in the 2 with us who don't have status. What about using the LH lounges at T1

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2024 at 11:54 am Reason: moved to a more modern thread
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'll be flying UA 163 from DXB-EWR. I see 2 LH lounges in T1 and an Emirates lounge (with no terminal specified) in the UA app. I am Star Alliance Gold, and am in a group of 5. There are 3 of us with Star Alliance GOLD status and 2 with no status. Is there a lounge we can use at T3? If yes, can we guest in the 2 with us who don't have status. What about using the LH lounges at T1
At a *A lounge, each *G can guest another passenger departing on the same flight.

Does not work at contract lounges, such as DXB EK T3 lounge, where it will just be UA business class passengers and no guest.

More in the thread's wiki.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2024 at 11:56 am Reason: moved
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At a *A lounge, each *G can guest another passenger departing on the same flight.

Does not work at contract lounges, such as DXB EK T3 lounge, where it will just be UA business class passengers and no guest.

More in the thread's wiki.
Duh! I did a search on Dubai and not DXB.

Anyhow, I forgot to mention that 2 of us (both 1Ks) are booked into PE (R class). We were hoping to upgrade to biz class but 49/50 seats are sold, so there is no hope of clearing. Apparently there are 2 GS and 4 1Ks with higher fare class than us in PE. Clearly there will be no Polaris, and now no lounge for us. ☹️

Thanks for the info. I’m glad we didn’t waste money booking into O or A class, as that probably wouldn’t have cleared either!
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:00 am

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Crediting EK flights to UAMP

Greetings, I have EK flights TPE-DXB-MXP round trip in business coming up, is it true that I can NOT post these miles to my UA account, since it has nothing to do with originating from EWR, or belongs to the same itinerary? Found some posts online, but still a bit confused.

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyhen
Greetings, I have EK flights TPE-DXB-MXP round trip in business coming up, is it true that I can NOT post these miles to my UA account, since it has nothing to do with originating from EWR, or belongs to the same itinerary? Found some posts online, but still a bit confused.
You can only credit EK flights to MileagePlus if they are to one of a small number of destinations and connecting to UA’s EWR flight. (Even then, it would only be redeemable miles; no Premier credit would be earned). Your itinerary cannot be credited to MileagePlus.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:47 am

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
thanks for the clarification, that's what i thought.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Flying EWR-DXB-BLR next week. Polaris EWR-DXB, economy DXB-BLR. Has anyone connected to EK in DXB using just carry-on? Specifically, I plan to have a carry-on plus a laptop bag. Per EK's website, economy passengers are only allowed 1 carry on bag, not bag+personal item.

This is not meant to be a "do the rules apply to me" question, but rather I'm curious if EK enforces this rule at the gate, or it's just enforced at check-in counters (I'll be staying air-side during my connection).

Anyone else run into this?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:19 pm

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
Mileage Plus Credit - Emerates Business Class (I)

Hi all. It's been a minute since my last FT post. Earlier this month I took some flights on Emirates, booked through my corporate travel department. BOS-DXB, DXB-BLR and then HYD-DXB and DXB-BOS. It's been almost 3 weeks since travel completed. They were Flex Business Class, with a class code of I. The United Mileage plus was referenced during booking and confirmed during check-in, but the miles never came over. I filled out the "Request Missing Miles" form yesterday and when I submitted, it told me they'd take a week to look into it, but it also said "Denied".

Any idea why UA would be denying mileage in purchased fare class I? I'm going to give them a week, and then will call the United MileagePlus Service Desk. I figured I'd ask here first in case there's something I may be missing.

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 206013671
Earlier this month I took some flights on Emirates, booked through my corporate travel department. BOS-DXB, DXB-BLR and then HYD-DXB and DXB-BOS.
Any idea why UA would be denying mileage in purchased fare class I?
Because none of those flights are eligible for MileagePlus credit.

BLR and HYD would both be eligible, I believe, but only if booked in conjunction with the UA EWR-DXB service. All-Emirates itineraries are not MileagePlus-eligible.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Earlier this month I took some flights on Emirates, booked through my corporate travel department. BOS-DXB, DXB-BLR and then HYD-DXB and DXB-BOS. ..
Only a few EK flights are MP award mile earning
MileagePlus® members traveling on United between Newark (EWR) and Dubai (DXB) can earn miles for connecting flights on Emirates. This is only available on select routes between Dubai (DXB) and Africa, the Middle East, and the South Asian Subcontinent. Connecting flights must also be on the same itinerary as the flight between Newark and Dubai.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 2:31 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
EK flight connecting to UA DXB-EWR - Baggage Fees

So had an interesting experience on this partnership with Emirates today. I started in Islamabad, Pakistan this morning, connecting to UA163 tomorrow (total of 13 hour connection in Dubai). EK flight booked in economy, UA flight upgraded to Polaris from Premium Economy upsell. All flights booked on 016 ticket stock. I am a 1K. Loads appear lighter today due to Eid Holidays.

Called EK Us Phone to confirm baggage allowance a few days before departure, was told on the phone they did not see any baggage allowance in their system, so they would honor UA’s allowances. I printed the UA website showing as a 1K I’m allowed to check 3 bags each up to 32 kilos, so I brought 3 bags, 60 kilos in total. Bought some carpets while in Pakistan, as one does.

At check in at EK desk, was told they can only honor what’s in their computer system, and I don’t have any baggage allowance in their ticketing system. Ended up having to pay $220 per bag for two bags. The check in guys were kind enough to allow me to carry a 2nd carry on bag of carpets thru security and then gate checked it for me for free, saving me another $220, otherwise I would have just held onto it until I got to DXB and was dealing with a UA rep.

thankfully it's work travel and hopefully will be reimbursed. I even had the agent take a photo of his screen showing no baggage so my employer doesn’t think I’m charging them extra. But just letting folks know the baggage piece of this partnership is really messed up. Not sure how a UA purchased EK ticket didn’t have any baggage authorized. I even called the 1K desk while at check in and they said they don’t control what EK does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.