Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is Cod Sashimi? UA's inflight entree

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
...they don't know it means raw fish without rice...
Actually it just means raw fish

If I put sashimi on a bed of rice, it's just sashimi on rice. If enclose it in rice and wrap it with nori, the whole becomes sushi. I'd rather have sashimi in a poke preparation
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Smile

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Actually it just means raw fish

If I put sashimi on a bed of rice, it's just sashimi on rice. If enclose it in rice and wrap it with nori, the whole becomes sushi. I'd rather have sashimi in a poke preparation
Well to be technical -- since you asked -- sushi is actually a very particular type of rice served by hand at a particular (body) temperature -- with fish on top -- sashimi has always been raw fish - regardless of presentation.... And if you wrap something in dried seaweed (nori) -- which in Japan is last course before soup -- that's not sushi -- it's probably sushi to westerners - but it's maki to Japanese - lol - but never called sushi -- but we're debating nuance lol to most westerners....
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
LOL - as someone who lives in Japan I'm guessing 99% of westerners don't understand the difference between "sushi" and "sashimi" -- including UA. To UA Sashimi simply means "fresh fish" -- they don't know it means raw fish without rice lol... They think they are being "cool" -- instead they look crazy - but let's be honest - how many westerners know what Sashimi really means -- including the UA menu writers,....

Now - to me if you pay $7k to fly to the EU from NA and want some sashimi and you get cooked Cod -- yeah -- that sucks - especially when EU / JP/ ME airlines get it...
When I ask people whether they would like sushi for lunch or dinner, I often get responses: "thank you, but I don't eat raw fish". I also often been asked what is sashimii? "Is it raw fish like sushi?" We all know sushi does not necessary have raw fish or even fish!

There are a number of European hotel restaurants serve smoked salmon or white fish as part of breakfast buffet items, and I have seen the signs that say "smoke sashimi"....
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
And to be even more technical/pedantic, what you describe above bmw, raw fish on top of rice, with no added ingredients, is more specifically called nigiri. Like maki, it falls in the sushi family.
(I know you know this….just adding to the levity).🤣
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
When I ask people whether they would like sushi for lunch or dinner, I often get responses: "thank you, but I don't eat raw fish". I also often been asked what is sashimii? "Is it raw fish like sushi?" We all know sushi does not necessary have raw fish or even fish!

There are a number of European hotel restaurants serve smoked salmon or white fish as part of breakfast buffet items, and I have seen the signs that say "smoke sashimi"....
EXACTLY - -because Sushi doesn't refer to FISH in Japan - it refers to the RICE -- which of couse can have anything from beef to eel to fish to veggies on top -- my fav is UNI!! Sashimi has a completely different meaning -- which apparently escapes UA lo...

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
And to be even more technical/pedantic, what you describe above bmw, raw fish on top of rice, with no added ingredients, is more specifically called nigiri. Like maki, it falls in the sushi family.
(I know you know this….just adding to the levity).🤣
LOL I get it -- but trust me 99% of most people don't have a clue - but to my wife it's life or death lol.... The Japanese are so precise -- sushi is sushi -- maki is maki - and nigiri is nigiri.... You totally got me on the details -- which I guarantee almost no one but you and I get - except perhaps for the JP forum...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 2022 at 12:08 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I’m still sitting in HND - so it’s top of mind for me at the moment🤣
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
I’m still sitting in HND - so it’s top of mind for me at the moment🤣
Sorry - we will be back in September if I can use the new process -- hope you are in a non-crowded lounge....
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Well to be technical -- since you asked -- sushi is actually a very particular type of rice served by hand at a particular (body) temperature -- with fish on top -- sashimi has always been raw fish - regardless of presentation.... And if you wrap something in dried seaweed (nori) -- which in Japan is last course before soup -- that's not sushi -- it's probably sushi to westerners - but it's maki to Japanese - lol - but never called sushi -- but we're debating nuance lol to most westerners....
And because this is the best discussion going on at the moment, May I add…that Sushi does not require fish…as in Inari Zushi…I was at a gathering of local friends in Okinawa a few years ago and they happily pronounced that they brought sushi and set out a plate of Inari (deep fried tofu pockets stuffed with sushi rice). I was disappointed, lol!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:34 am

sushi should is generic term (or literally vinegar rice)
nigiri, maki or chirashi, these are different styles of sushi
sashimi is cut raw fish meat

In the original context, when I see the cod sashimi in the menu, I thought it is something
like carpaccio made of cod, but in the actual picture (#1236) it didn't even look like carpaccio
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum

I have never seen United’s Polaris menu just a print off on a 8x11 piece of printer paper. FRA to ORD.

8x10 print off of menu. Supply chain issues? And what is Cod Sashimi? I am fairly certain that it is NOT raw so it is not Sashimi. Ah it’s good to have travel complaints after a 3 year hiatus. I
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I just got the same pathetic photocopy. Do what I do: bring your own food and let UA put theirs in the garbage where it belongs.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
I reckon this is why Cod is never eaten raw?

Potential Parasites

Parasites are a fact of life when you eat meat. That's one reason why humans decided to start cooking their food thousands of years ago. Heat kills worms. So does frost, but some can survive a home freezer (although not a good box freezer).

For this reason, it is recommended that all seafood you decide to eat raw be previously frozen. It is simply safer that way. Yes, fresh is better in most cases, but even professional sushi chefs freeze their salmon first—salmon is unusually susceptible to parasites.

The critters you need to worry about are cod worms, seal worms, and tapeworms.

Cod worms are found in cod, haddock, pollock, and hake. They are easily visible to the naked eye and are easily removed if you catch them. Good New England fish houses "candle" their fish by putting the fillets on a lightbox to detect the worms. This is why cod is never seen at a sushi bar.

Ref: https://www.thespruceeats.com/choosi...-sushi-1300689
Intl359Widget and AlEtRONt like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve yet to have a good experience with airline fish.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Personally, I would like to see a photo of this mystery dish if anyone dares to try it....or United can reprint the menu to call it what it probably is: "baked cod", which probably sounds less sexy than "sashimi". I've had sushi and sashimi on a flight, specifically ANA, but it's not something I would trust in the hands of a United crew, sorry.
To redirect a little from the edifying discussion about the differences between sushi and sashimi, we do have a picture of United's mystery meat... I think the consensus was that it's just regular (cooked) cod?

Originally Posted by angetenar
Spare yourself the misery; I ordered it today. MUC-SFO on August 15th. Boarding was exceptionally chaotic. Menu:

SF_DUKE likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ichigen
sushi should is generic term (or literally vinegar rice)
nigiri, maki or chirashi, these are different styles of sushi
sashimi is cut raw fish meat

In the original context, when I see the cod sashimi in the menu, I thought it is something
like carpaccio made of cod, but in the actual picture (#1236) it didn't even look like carpaccio
It's almost like UA is using sashimi to describe any fish served without a starchy side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.