Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is UA's most repugnant (flying) partner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

My vote: AC

I'd like to fly AC more often as they are our North American partner, but dang -

1) Almost like extracting teeth to get refunds for flights they cancelled during Covid
2) Call wait time were hours during Covid, and still pretty crummy before and now.
3) Now, they calling flight cancellations due to staff shortages "safety issues" to avoid paying compensation: Air Canada is refusing to compensate passengers for cancellations thanks to a policy that lets them call staff shortages a safety problem (yahoo.com)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My vote would be for TAP Portugal. I find TP customer service even worse and downright unreasonable when it comes to changes/refunds.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My vote would be for TAP Portugal. I find TP customer service even worse and downright unreasonable when it comes to changes/refunds.
TAP. They owe me EU 261 that they will never pay.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
From an overall assessment from operations to customer service to airport/cabin experience, I would tend to agree. It took over 18 months for me to get my refund from AC during COVID for an unflown trip. And 5-6 months to get refund for a half-flown trip. And none of them originated or terminated in Canada.

My other issue is, despite how they market themselves, they're not really that outstanding vs. other US/EU competitors. Sure there are some good things and bad things, but nothing that's above average or makes me want to specifically connect in YYZ/YUL.

But that's my assessment of flying 33 out of 46 or so UA partners. And a vast majority of them were pre-pandemic.
JTXC likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like a tie between TAP and AC
arf04 and Artpen100 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Looks like a tie between TAP and AC
I’ve never flown TAP but have several times on AC. They are on my own avoid list.
JTXC likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:21 pm
Suspended

ANA

They'll ruin you for other carriers by providing an outstanding product delivered in a highly customer centric manner.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 8, 2022 at 8:30 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:22 pm

TAP

Definitely TAP. Though their flights are very nice, when they happen.
MatthewLAX and Wombat1 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
TAP. They owe me EU 261 that they will never pay.
There are companies that will pursue them for you for a cut of the take. 100% contingency based too. If you've given up a share of something is better than nothing.
TPACjv, IndyHoosier and VRFast like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My vote: AC

I'd like to fly AC more often as they are our North American partner, but dang -

1) Almost like extracting teeth to get refunds for flights they cancelled during Covid
2) Call wait time were hours during Covid, and still pretty crummy before and now.
3) Now, they calling flight cancellations due to staff shortages "safety issues" to avoid paying compensation: Air Canada is refusing to compensate passengers for cancellations thanks to a policy that lets them call staff shortages a safety problem (yahoo.com)
Former YYZ resident here…imagine living in Canada and basically having no choice to fly AC (Flair isn’t an option in my book, just like I won’t fly Frontier or Spirit here).

also, to be fair, the call center wait times per-dates COVID by about 15-20 years (give or take…). Yeah, it’s definitely worse now, but 1+ hour hold time during the day (even on days without IRROPS) hasn’t been an oddity for many, many years. At one point, they vowed to do something about it, but whatever they did only made things worse. I’ve found my way around this (PM me if you want more info).

i just flew them to NRT (on the way to SIN), and onboard (once the planes actually left - both late), I found it very average, which at least was average. Speaking of OTP, they are absolutely worst in class, and have traditionally had pretty bad OTP - gotten worse now for sure.

on the other hand, they do operate their own aircraft flying SFO-YYZ, which is more than I can say for UA right now.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
...they do operate their own aircraft flying SFO-YYZ, which is more than I can say for UA right now.
One good option at Xmas time HNL to LHR was on AC HNL-Toronto-LHR w/ free overnight hotel in Toronto and Signature Lounge access. HNL-YYZ's been on hiatus through Covid, but even if it comes back, I'm not sure I'd entertain flying 'em again unless the price differential was awesome. Their performance in all areas during Covid really soured me on them.
jamiel likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
ANA

They'll ruin you for other carriers by providing an outstanding product delivered in a highly customer centric manner.
I recently flew UA SFO-NRT NH NRT-SIN in Premium Economy and couldn’t disagree more with this take. I missed UA 803 (sometimes UA 881) on UA metal big time.

But NH >>>>> AI (Except for Indian food on board)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I recently flew UA SFO-NRT NH NRT-SIN in Premium Economy and couldn’t disagree more with this take. I missed UA 803 (sometimes UA 881) on UA metal big time.

I'm assuming you were on the Air Japan flight -- that's not real ANA -- its like flying UEX vs UA - except the planes are cleaner.... Air Japan is NH's version of the "JV" team -- limited services, less experienced FA, and older planes -- but still better than most....
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Maybe 6-8y ago to South America. I requested a special vege and got one of the best plates I've ever had--Indian. I tried again multiple times out of the same city and never got that plate again.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:58 pm

To answer OP: though not a partner but since no *A in Brasil right now, it is a tie b/w Gol and Azul. Why Gol? bc recently, it was near impossible to get a G3 agent on the phone. Why Azul: Since AD owes me money and won't return it. What is the name of the entity/site that goes after deadbeat foreign airlines? I'm happy to give a huge cut...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.