Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is UA's most repugnant (flying) partner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is UA's most repugnant (flying) partner?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I'm just picking out the word "Repugnant" because I don't think it means what the OP thinks it means.

It's like threads with "NIGHTMARE" or "DEVASTATING" in the title, when a bag got lost or a hotel was sold out or similar.
It is a typical FT bashing thread. It does not matter how one defines the terms.
cricketer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2022 at 10:55 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
To be frank, the weak sister in the bunch is UA. Inedible food, undrinkable wine.

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My vote: AC

I'd like to fly AC more often as they are our North American partner, but dang -

1) Almost like extracting teeth to get refunds for flights they cancelled during Covid
2) Call wait time were hours during Covid, and still pretty crummy before and now.
3) Now, they calling flight cancellations due to staff shortages "safety issues" to avoid paying compensation: Air Canada is refusing to compensate passengers for cancellations thanks to a policy that lets them call staff shortages a safety problem (yahoo.com)
Varig? Oh wait, I'm dating myself, lol.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Weird....I've flown TAP a few times and, mercifully, had decent experiences. Never had a major irrops incident with them though - that's always the real test.

My aversion to AC over the years has generally been that they are about the most expensive airline I've ever encountered - even for short mundane trips. I was flying a different airline out of LGA a couple years ago, in the same gate area as AC, and AC was having an operational meltdown, canceling multiple flights, and people were everywhere trying to get rebooked. I had also been in the AC lounge (Priority Pass) and people were pissed - even their elites weren't getting rebooked quickly. This was not a weather situation in New York - other airlines were operating normally (as "normally" as LGA ever is, anyway) - but it's possible that Canadian weather was to blame. My guess is it was a couple YYZ flights and maybe a YUL flight but I don't recall for sure.

My worst Star Alliance experiences, without question, have always involved a UX carrier on a domestic US flight.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Before I flew them I was dreading COPA, but in the end it turned out to be pretty much a carbon copy of Continental 25 years ago, right down to the decor in the lounge.

If we can add UX, I would certainly put MESA - aka MESSY, on the list.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
To be frank, the weak sister in the bunch is UA. Inedible food, undrinkable wine.
Pretty much this.

I've flown TK, SQ, AC, LH, and LX biz this past year, and based on the photos in the international meals thread, have actively avoided UA. The Polaris seat may be the best for a solo traveler, and the Polaris lounge may beat all but TK and AC's premium lounge, but that seems to be about it.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
next time use the screw cap before drinking
WillFlyer and TPACjv like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by work2fly
Pretty much this.

I've flown TK, SQ, AC, LH, and LX biz this past year, and based on the photos in the international meals thread, have actively avoided UA. The Polaris seat may be the best for a solo traveler, and the Polaris lounge may beat all but TK and AC's premium lounge, but that seems to be about it.
I will say...for some of my journeys, the soft product on the ground and hard product in the air is what I value most. Dinner & drinks in the lounge, sleep in the air. So United gets credit where it's due on that part of the Polaris product.

But no arguing that the inflight soft product lags others in the alliance.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
OP uses the word "Repugnant", not "Worst". I think those are two totally different things. We have some great examples of "Worst" here, but "Repugnant" goes so much further than bad service...
Fair point. My idea of “repugnant” - an airline cancels flights due to crew shortage and refuses to pay for hotel room because they decide (corporately) to call the cancellations “safety issues”. That’s repugnant. “Worst” might be the worst in-flight service or schedule recovery, etc. I guess both are fair game here - whatever airline UA partners with that is bad, in one way or another (or many ways).
cricketer and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I can't believe there's been no mention of Avianca. They've essentially become a LCC.

Egyptair is also awful. I'll go out of my way to avoid their apathetic crews, lack of alcohol on board, and CAI transit experience.

Air China also sucks. What's to like about them? Lounges are awful, hard product is passable, soft product is poor. IFE is really bad. They're only in *A because of their access to the Chinese market. Far worse than UA.

I would take LO, TP, or AC over AV, MS, or CA any day of the week.

Last edited by Red Raider LV; Aug 9, 2022 at 10:21 am Reason: I'm stupid
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So in the end, Star Alliance is pretty bad. In fact, it's gone from bad to awful. In Germany, apparently the bank accounts of TAP were frozen because they were refusing to refund pax during Covid times and just generally treated people in a dreadful manner. Frankly I wouldn't fly TAP, not after all the experiences I have read about, and I wouldn't go near Air Canada either.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
ANA

They'll ruin you for other carriers by providing an outstanding product delivered in a highly customer centric manner.
Yes they will. So very good.
IndyHoosier and Return2flight like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I will vote for Aeromar
All prop planes
They do have Coke Zero though
Roosters fly in cargo, right in front of passengers
They don't participate in the US ESTA - so you get SSSS every flight on the leg where you transition to a carrier who does participate.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
So in the end, Star Alliance is pretty bad. ...
So far 3 or so carriers out of 26 have been commented on (10%-ish), perhaps a little premature to paint the entire alliance on performance of a few. There are many, many more stronger *A carriers. Probably other alliance also have weak partners.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Air China

I Present to you, the snack box on an Air China Flight from Beijing to Ulaan Bataar. I'm pretty sure the Sandwhich spread was a combination of industrial ash, pig anus, and a little bit of horse semen for flavor.

Air China Snack Box

Delicious.... probably cures COVID

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.