Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - MCO Rumour

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
What plane would UA even fly on MCO-LHR? Not to say they can't rotate planes from other hubs, but MCO-LHR is very leisure market.
BA and VS both fly low-J configurations, with 48J on 772 and 16J on A350, respectively.

Currently, the least J-dense plane UA flies to LHR is 757, but that won't make it on MCO-LHR. So the next least J-dense plane that UA flies to LHR would be 789 (or 772, depending on how you measure density). That would be a lot of lift for a leisure market. Only other option is to fly a low-J 763, which would mean sacrificing J seats on another route.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Does United's MCO base not do heavy maint? I can only really see this work either on a 763 or 788 considering how leisure heavy this route would be.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No way UA would be interested in leisure-heavy LHR-MCO. And BA and VS already have multiple daily flights on that route to bring all the Brits to the Mouse.

Also, F/As find out about new routes at about the same time FTers do - and often later.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
A Mickey Mouse rumor or humor?

Don’t take it seriously or just have a good laugh about it.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by itripreport
Does United's MCO base not do heavy maint? I can only really see this work either on a 763 or 788 considering how leisure heavy this route would be.
UA has two hangers at MCO from the Continental days. Iirc they are mostly if not only 737 maintenance and maybe I want to say AVOD/IFE maintenance as well.

For that matter, TPA used to and still might have a UA hanger. Though I want to say that they got rid of the TPA hanger.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by kmersh
UA has two hangers at MCO from the Continental days. Iirc they are mostly if not only 737 maintenance and maybe I want to say AVOD/IFE maintenance as well.

For that matter, TPA used to and still might have a UA hanger. Though I want to say that they got rid of the TPA hanger.
They recently announced a brand new facility in TPA. I have no idea if it was ever completed.

https://news.tampaairport.com/united...cility-at-tpa/
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kmersh

757 work as well. That’s why we see many 757’s on the late evening EWR-MCO and early morning MCO-EWR. They rotate in for overnight maintenance.

That said, there’s a lot of commonality with the 767, so it probably isn’t too far of a stretch to add an occasional 767 there for maintenance as well.

That’s 100% speculation from an armchair nobody — there are plenty of FT’ers that are much closer to the industry who would have a much better idea if it’s feasible or not.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
757 work as well. That’s why we see many 757’s on the late evening EWR-MCO and early morning MCO-EWR. They rotate in for overnight maintenance.

That said, there’s a lot of commonality with the 767, so it probably isn’t too far of a stretch to add an occasional 767 there for maintenance as well.

That’s 100% speculation from an armchair nobody — there are plenty of FT’ers that are much closer to the industry who would have a much better idea if it’s feasible or not.
Back in the pmua days they ran the occasional 763 domestic bird into MCO I recall being on. So it fits in a gate or two. It's possible there is enough wfh demand for the route with the migration of population south. But only ual knows.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by prestonh
Back in the pmua days they ran the occasional 763 domestic bird into MCO I recall being on. So it fits in a gate or two. It's possible there is enough wfh demand for the route with the migration of population south. But only ual knows.
Eons ago now, I flew MCO-EWR on a CO 777-200 as they were being inducted into the fleet and needed to fly domestically for a while before they were cleared to fly internationally.

I know that airside 3 can handle widebody aircraft as I have flown AA763s and 330s from airside three, generally from gate 30-39 (the mainly Spirit gates).

Still MCO-UK has lots of competition already and if DL which has a much larger presence at MCO (once had a hub there) could not make it work, I really do not see UA making a go of it.

Last edited by kmersh; Aug 5, 2022 at 11:11 am
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
MCO can handle widebodies without issue. They were getting 777-300, 777-200, and 763s this last winter from IAD, DEN, EWR, and ORD. Now there is a semi regular 764 from EWR.

Gates are not the issue. Facts would be though.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Micp3208
MCO can handle widebodies without issue. They were getting 777-300, 777-200, and 763s this last winter from IAD, DEN, EWR, and ORD. Now there is a semi regular 764 from EWR.

Gates are not the issue. Facts would be though.
Oh, I didn't mean gates... I meant hangar/maintenance capacity. Not sure if they're equipped to handle, say, 767 work at MCO. It's similar enough to the 757 that I could see something like that happening.

Of course this is all rumor and conjecture, and an unlikely one at that. If I had a nickel for every flight base rumor ...

Last edited by dmurphynj; Aug 7, 2022 at 10:32 am
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

Of course this is all rumor and conjecture, and an unlikely one at that. If I had a nickel for every flight base rumor ...
No, it is rumour. Read the OP! It is much more credible when spelled that way.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
No question MCO has been a legacy CO huge maintenance hub in the past. One time in the late-1990s we did EWR-MCO on a DC-10. UA also had a solid presence as well flying widebodies in and out of MCO pretty consistently to some of the hubs. Nothing compared to what they had as a Focus City at MIA though.

The question is whether UA is even suitable for a market like MCO-LHR. Maybe a few times weekly at best? If anything, DL probably has the best shot of handling a route like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
On one hand, MCO-London is an enormous market, but it’s largely oriented to the British point of sale, and primarily leisure. That’s why you see the UK-based tail of the BA/AA and DL/VS JVs on the route, with their highest-density configurations.

I could see an argument that it might make sense for a Star presence in the market, but I’m not holding my breath on this rumor.

In terms of the capability of the MCO station, UA has excellent resources and facilities there, second only to hubs, so that would be no constraint… if there were a business case for UA to operate MCO-LHR.

Originally Posted by airzim
They recently announced a brand new facility in TPA. I have no idea if it was ever completed.

https://news.tampaairport.com/united...cility-at-tpa/
Completed and in use.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:32 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No, it is rumour.
Thank you, Lindsey. 😆

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.